Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM

683 posts, read 2,643,725 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of people that shoot dove and quail. Bunch of them in the desert. You can also hunt for javelina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,233,570 times
I don't think the OP's hubby is interested in shooting small birds, based on what she said, but there's a season even for those. Javelina -- that's something different. I don't know what the laws are on those, but the OP needs to find out, if hubby decides he wants to try it. But he doesn't hunt just for sport, apparently, and does anyone eat javelina?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM

107 posts, read 1,200,570 times
I kmow all about the tags. It's a no brainer to me that you just don't go shoot one lol. Duh. We go almost every year and last year I got my firts deer. Thanks. I told him and he"s fine with it. According to the website you posted I think we'll be fine hunting at least deer in Flagstaff.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM

107 posts, read 1,200,570 times
What is OP? Oh no we wouldn't shoot doves. My husband raises Ringneck doves as a hobby. He's quite successful and has a website. Not worth hunting such tiny birds.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM

OP is "original poster" -- sort of a forum "shorthand" for the person who starts a topic.

I guess you wouldn't shoot doves.... Best of luck with selling your house, and your move!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,283,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
What is OP? Oh no we wouldn't shoot doves. My husband raises Ringneck doves as a hobby. He's quite successful and has a website. Not worth hunting such tiny birds.
Quail is actually pretty fun to hunt and they taste really good in my opinion.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 PM

263 posts, read 1,076,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think the OP's hubby is interested in shooting small birds, based on what she said, but there's a season even for those. Javelina -- that's something different. I don't know what the laws are on those, but the OP needs to find out, if hubby decides he wants to try it. But he doesn't hunt just for sport, apparently, and does anyone eat javelina?

Not everyone shoots quail just to kill birds. People eat those things. They are very tasty if cooked right.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

So I've heard, but I don't think this is the kind of hunting her hubby prefers.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 907,035 times
There is actually a lot more hunting available in Arizona than is being told here. There are good populations of nice Elk going towards Payson and over to Greer. The Flagstaff area also has nice size Elk and Mule deer. To the Southeast there is what is called one fo the smartest species of deer around, the coues (pronounced cows) whitetail. Back to the north around the Prescott area and north to Ash Fork you could go after Antelope.

As has been mentioned all these are subject to being drawn for a tag which is the hard part. However, if you are in to archery hunting anyone can get a permit. Here is a link to the AZ game and fish which has all kinds of info.
Arizona Game and Fish Department: azgfd.gov

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM

50,079 posts, read 46,654,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
There is actually a lot more hunting available in Arizona than is being told here. There are good populations of nice Elk going towards Payson and over to Greer. The Flagstaff area also has nice size Elk and Mule deer. To the Southeast there is what is called one fo the smartest species of deer around, the coues (pronounced cows) whitetail. Back to the north around the Prescott area and north to Ash Fork you could go after Antelope.

As has been mentioned all these are subject to being drawn for a tag which is the hard part. However, if you are in to archery hunting anyone can get a permit. Here is a link to the AZ game and fish which has all kinds of info.
Arizona Game and Fish Department: azgfd.gov
Hell ya, there is great AZ hunting and I've shot deer near Tuscon along with pigs and other game. Either people don't know about it or are trying to keep it a secret. You also have the option of game ranches or Mexico. Many from CA use AZ as their Elk destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area