U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,072,415 times
"More Money, More Problems"
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM

20,640 posts, read 11,076,539 times
I have a friend who has the kind of money normal people can only dream about. She lives in a huge house in Newport Beach, drives an expensive car as do her children, has a girl come to her house to cut her hair, has a maid, paid $3,000 for her dog, buys her clothes at trendy botiques at Fashion Island, sits three rows behind home plate at Angels games, sends her kids to private schools, goes on 5-6 vacations a year and is the unhappiest person I know.

Because there is so little love in her home. She has kids and a husband but no family. My heart is sad for her. Money can get you security but you can't buy love and you can't buy happiness.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 AM

132 posts, read 297,127 times
My two cents is that without some amount of money, being poor brings with it tons of stress about how to feed your family, how to stop the recurring phone calls that flood in when bills are not paid, how to pay this bill vs. that bill. So I don't necessarily think that having money is the end all and be all, but it does bring a sort of calm to one's life. We have had bad times and good times. We had a business that because of goverment re-structuring, it had to go bust. That was the hard times and the things I mentioned above, were not pleasant to deal with at all whatsoever and my heart goes out to anyone in these times who has to deal with those things. We had a mortgage, three kids, and a life to pay for. Thank God for families who helped us out. Then we have been on the flip side and have done all the usual things one does when they have money, new expensive cars, jewelry, trips all over the world, homes, etc. Yes, of course the are fun, but what it does more than anything I feel, is allow you to help other people, for instance, we sponsor two children from poorer third world countries. When I receive letters from them telling me what money was able to give them towards making a better life, that I would say is what fulfills your soul and gives you true happiness. I know what I am typing sounds like a cliche, but truly it is the truth. When you give, it comes back and gives you something much more gratifying. So yes, money can to a degree buy happiness. But, if you said to me, imagine you are poor and you marry someone you do not love just because he is a gazillionaire, then no, if I did not love him for himself and not his money, I think in my case, it would be a very short lived marriage, no matter what I could wear, buy or do with it.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 PM

8,884 posts, read 9,042,161 times
If I was in your situation I would move. You don't take money to the grave. I personally believe you need enough money to make you comfortable and afford certain things like an education, health insurance and retirement. However, I wouldn't remain in Phoenix just for a house. I don't believe in brain-washing meaning I don't think you can convince yourself to like a place. A house is nice but think about all of the other aspects you would get in return if you moved to SF. For you, I think you should move to SF and you will be a lot happier. You don't want to look back 20 years from now and wish you would have moved to SF.

In terms of wealth, something that is taken for granted is your health. Health is wealth. I don't mean this as a pitch to see your doctor. Even if you never see a doctor, take care of yourself by watching your diet, weight, exercise, meditate etc. I see so many wealthy people in their 60's who can't enjoy their money or life because they neglected their health when they were young. They smoked, ate poorly, never exercised, never managed their stress. All of that adds up and quality of life is as important as length of life. Do you want to be active and self sufficient when you are in your 60's and 70's? All the money in the world isn't going to matter if your health is poor and you are laying in a hospital bed with a congestive heart failure or lung cancer in your 60's. It's funny because people invest for their retirement but never do so for their health. Type II Diabetes is something you can prevent if you watch your weight and exercise. Diabetes can be serious and can death but for many people, it makes their life very uncomfortable to the point they have neuropathy and are on insulin.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-14-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 12:54 PM

338 posts, read 946,016 times
Money!!! Money makes me VERY happy.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM

8,884 posts, read 9,042,161 times
Let's put it this way, if you are already earning a good sum of money 100,000+, then the difference between 1,000,000 and say 100,000 is nothing in my opinion. I'm a simple person. I don't need Ferraris. I have a nice car. I have a nice family. The things I enjoy doing now are the things I enjoyed doing in my 20's. I'm a simple person at heart and I don't need to engage in things that rich people do just because it's fashionable. Then again, if you are the type of person that wants to show off and only shop at Gucci, drive cars in excess of 80K, buy bottles of Cristal and always sit first class, money matters. For me, those things are not important. I've never had a desire to pursue those things. Sure maybe when I was 23 I did but not now. For me, if I can take my kids to a D-backs game, treat them to dinner afterwards and watch a movie or play video games with them at home, that's a perfect evening for me and you don't need to be rich to do those things although you do need some money.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 PM

559 posts, read 879,442 times
Its a lot easier being happy when you have money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area