Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM

13 posts, read 31,643 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Phoenix as soon as our house sells in the Milwaukee area. We don't know enough about the suburbs to find a realtor in a specific area. Does anyone have recommendations for a great realtor who can help us find a nice place to live in? We're looking to find someone who works in the entire metro area and won't limit us to just a few areas.

I spoke with one realtor already who told me that it was up to me to research the areas and figure out if they were appropriate for us or not - is this the norm in the Phoenix area?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
No matter any realtor tells you, you're going to have a VERY hard time finding one who truly knows the entire area - it's HUGE.

You have to realize that the land mass of the Phoenix metro area is larger than Los Angeles - it would be virtually impossible to find a realtor who is knowledgeable about all areas.

Yes, you really need to research the different areas and try and figure out what is a good match for you and find a realtor who is an expert in that general area.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
No matter any realtor tells you, you're going to have a VERY hard time finding one who truly knows the entire area - it's HUGE.

You have to realize that the land mass of the Phoenix metro area is larger than Los Angeles - it would be virtually impossible to find a realtor who is knowledgeable about all areas.

Yes, you really need to research the different areas and try and figure out what is a good match for you and find a realtor who is an expert in that general area.
Very wise response and I second this. To the OP, a good realtor will be honest and upfront with you about this and not pretend to know the entire valley. And if they do, they are desperate for business because it's just an impossible task. The valley is too large and a realtor can't intimately know the entire valley. You will be fortunate if you can find one that has a very good knowledge of just one city.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks for letting me know that! We're used to smaller metro areas, so this is a whole new experience for us

I guess my question then would be for realtor suggestions for a pretty central location (not sure what that would be - maybe Chandler or Scottsdale? if they are in our price range of $220k or less, that is).

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 13,643 times
Default Search for GREAT realtor

I think for the area you're looking at your pricing is a tad low. My family have been trying to move to the Gilbert area for 2 years and see most "decent" homes start at around the $230's.I have been in contact with one agent which knows that area. His name is Brandon Hunt. His web site is www.azsearchforhomes.com. He seems very knowlegeable.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim53 View Post
I think for the area you're looking at your pricing is a tad low. My family have been trying to move to the Gilbert area for 2 years and see most "decent" homes start at around the $230's.I have been in contact with one agent which knows that area. His name is Brandon Hunt. His web site is www.azsearchforhomes.com. He seems very knowlegeable.
Thanks for the link! I'm not very sure what area we need to be looking in at this point; we're willing to consider any area that is fairly centrally located and within our price range.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primrose View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm not very sure what area we need to be looking in at this point; we're willing to consider any area that is fairly centrally located and within our price range.
You should start by considering where you will be working. Then decide how much of a commute you can tolerate. If you have kids, then you want to research the nearby schools as well. Those are usually 2 of the most important factors to consider.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
You should start by considering where you will be working. Then decide how much of a commute you can tolerate. If you have kids, then you want to research the nearby schools as well. Those are usually 2 of the most important factors to consider.
Unfortunately, since my husband will be telecommuting initially, we don't know where (or when) he will get a job. That's why we're trying to cover our bases with a central location with fairly easy access to the major job centers.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primrose View Post
We will be moving to Phoenix as soon as our house sells in the Milwaukee area. We don't know enough about the suburbs to find a realtor in a specific area. Does anyone have recommendations for a great realtor who can help us find a nice place to live in? We're looking to find someone who works in the entire metro area and won't limit us to just a few areas.

I spoke with one realtor already who told me that it was up to me to research the areas and figure out if they were appropriate for us or not - is this the norm in the Phoenix area?

Thanks for any help!
The Phoenix Metro area is too large for any one realtor to know and service the entire area. From Queen Creek to Surprise is about a 2 hour drive. I know the valley pretty well because I used to do a lot of Broker Price Opinions throughout the valley, but there is no way that I know it well enough to service it for buyer clients.

As an example, I specialize in the Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa area. I can also service the Tempe and Ahwatukee area, but prefer to stay in the three cities because of the driving time. Since I'm busy with my investment business, I limit the number of buyers that I work with to no more than 3 serious buyers within my service area at any one time so that I can provide them with the best service.

Most other realtors also limit their practice to their local service areas. There may be a few that will say they can service the entire valley; but consider the distance, and the driving time, especially during the high traffic times, and decide for yourself if that realtor can provide you with the service you need.

What you can do is call Real estate offices in different cities and ask to speak with the Designated Broker. Ask him/her who are two top Buyer Agents in that office who work the area you're interested in. Talk to that agent to see if you're compatible. If not, then talk to others.

Since you don't know where you'll be working, then I would recommend you rent for 6 months or until you get the jobs. You can usually get a month to month or 6 month lease.

During that time you can be looking at the different areas of the valley to decide where you want to live.

If you go ahead now and buy in a central location, that may end up being a compromise and you won't be happy later on.

Take your time to make sure you're buying in the area where you will be happy for a long time.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
When you say "pretty central" and then say Chandler or Scottsdale, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Central in terms of in the middle of the Valley? Well, that's Phoenix. Depending on what field you are talking about, there are "job centers" in a wide area.

Have you been here before? The person who told you that you need to figure out where the best fits would be for you and then research homes was right.

Given that you have no idea yet where your husband will be working when he stops telecommuting, I think you should rent, not buy, until you have had the oppiortunity to get a better feel for where you want to live, within a reasonable commute distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area