Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 PM

82 posts, read 280,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

However if there are piles of flowers and glass containers with candles placed everywhere on campus or near the buildings where the shooting occurred after several months everything becomes weathered and appears unsightly. When that happens it no longer is a memorial it is “litter”. If people have any respect for those who have lost their lives then at least “respect” them enough to give them a permanent memorial marker at an appropriate location that is maintained.

Do not disrespect someone’s life by leaving litter as a memorial reminder of them.
Not everyone can afford a permanent memorial. Some can't even afford a head stone for the graves of their loved ones. Some people cremate their loved ones because they cannot afford a coffin and cemetery plot. It doesn't have anything to do with respect. I have relatives buried all over the country. Their graves are not tended to on a regular basis. According to you, I must not have respect for their lives because the gravesites look dirty and unkept with dead flowers and momentos. Now, I'm sure you are going to reply that a gravesite is the "proper" place for a memorial and memorials in these public places are not appropriate. You are entitled to your opinion.

I have to say that your comments are so callous and disrespectful. From these few posts, you have shown the type of person that you are which is why I refuse to discuss this any further. You can respond if you wish but I am not going to take part in this thread any longer. I pray that your heart will soften.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
I am one of such people who lost a loved one (my daughter) on one of the roadways in Minnesota to a car accident on July 4,2008 and a friend of ours Father made the cross that is at her accident site the 2 weeks to the day after my daughter was killed he passed away it was the last thing that he did as a memorial to my daughter and now because the people who live near the site think that it is a distraction it has to be removed. Why don't they have the tree that she hit removed also because that will also be a distraction the bark will never grow back on it and that is 6 feet up on the tree.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Regardless of one's feelings about the matter, doesn't it seem as if placing and maintaining some of these memorials could be hazardous?

Personally, I consider them part of the culture and don't mind when they start to fall apart as long as they're not getting strewn all across the road as hazards. It sort of summarizes the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area