Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:27 PM

86 posts, read 258,960 times

Advertisements

I grew up here and yes baseline road has always popped up on the news with dead bodys,just like van buran is famous for prostitutes.when i compare it with LA im comparing it with bad places and yep every city has bad places,i dont think you can get away from it anywhere.i choose southwest phoenix(tolleson)because all the trucking jobs are generally out here,lifes a lot easier with a five minute commute.i think people are losing their minds the way theyre acting.i rent a very nice home in a newer area and sometimes when i lay in bed i hear people unloading whole clips out of semiauto weapons.i guess i wasnt raised to think of this as normal.also the destruction of property and graffiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,190 times
Unless you like lots of crime and having your home and car broken into I would not live in Laveen! I have lived here (Trailside Point) for 2 years and I desparately want out.

Soon enough it will become a low-income, ghetto neighborhood...there are young children running around at all hours and up to no good, frequent home break-ins, boom cars at all hours, gunshots in the city park...I wasn't raised to think this was "normal" behavior either...although I'm quickly realizing that for this community, it is.

Most of the decent home owners are biding their time or looking to rent out their homes to escape.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 19,335 times
I don't think that statement is fair, even though Laveen does have it's problems.

I am a Tempe girl, and I still go there to have my oil changed, nails done, my parents live there, and I do miss my parish. I was drug out to Laveen by my California husband, kicking and screaming, as I wanted to buy a house in the East Valley somewhere. We built our home and moved in in July 2004.

I do not and will not send my kids to the Laveen schools, they go to Catholic School in Phoenix. The neighbors I have spoken to have already or are going to pull their kids out because of the hoodlums, disorder, and lack of control of classrooms. The neighborhood park has been vandalized on multiple occasions, with teenagers urinating down the slide. The dreams we had of the block parties and kids playing in the cul-de-sac and making friendships that last have been far from the reality. However, we continue to stick it out and try to make the most of our decision to live here.

Laveen still has a lot of charm. Nicer homes are being built, new shopping centers are on their way, and the 202 in the not so far distance. I am TRYING to stay positive and take pride in my neighborhood and the place where I call home. When we couldn't sell our home in July 2006, we decided to build a pool and turn our house into the home we really want to live in. We've decided to stay.

What really did it for me is when our family went for a hike up the 19th ave trailhead, stopped at the Del Monte corner store on 27th Ave and Dobbins for a quick drink, and 3 cowboys rode up to the store on their horses and tied them up to go in and get something to cool off. It was like a scene from the old west, and it was right in my own neighborhood.

Still waiting on that 2nd grocery store, though. It is over crowded and they cannot handle the amount of people that live out here. Counting the days till the Safeway!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 AM

97 posts, read 414,732 times
Default Good posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoLoco View Post
As a long time resident of Laveen I believe some one moving here will find good schools and good neibors instead of bad ones. Yes the area has experienced a rapid influx of people and yes, criminals will take advantage of a communities lack of cohesion, but the old proverb says it better; " A traveler came to the gate of a village and asked the gate man 'What kind of place is this?' the gate man replied ' how was the place you come from' the traveler replied negetivly saying 'the people worried me, the weather was bad, etc. etc. etc.' at this the gate keeper told him that it was the same conditions here. This first traveler decides to continue searching and goes on down the road. Then another traveler comes and asks the gate keeper 'Is this a good place to live?' Again the keeper asked how it was where the traveler is from? this traveler gushing with praise of his former home told of the beauty, kindness, and generosity. Again the gate mans reply was "It is the same here" though he added "you appear tired would you like to come to my house for dinner?""
The moral is community is what we make it.
On the NE corner of 67th ave and Baseline a church is trying to establish itself. spread among those new houses are schools and parks. If someone moves into any area and shuts themself up every night a leaves first thing in the morning, they are the problem.
a previous poster suggested "maybe ten miles further out". I would suggest that is only more time spent commuting. Time that instead could be used to build community cohesion.
Oso
I think this is one of the best postings I have ever seen here.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 AM

32 posts, read 108,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark8855 View Post
I agree with everyone here. That whole west-side of town is a horrible place to live. I'd stick with the far north side of town or head to the east valley suburbs (chandler/gilbert)
Really? What about Litchfield Park and Goodyear? Or are you only speaking about west Phoenix? We live near 67th ave and Lower Buckeye, and it actually is pretty nice. Haven't had any crime in my immediate neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 PM

40 posts, read 246,068 times
im new to az so i still have not figured out why there is so much negativity about laveen. my brother is renting in laveen till he buys a home and ive lived here with him for 6 months now. i have not seen any of the crime that people keep talking about. i do see A LOT of diversity though. i think a lot of people see diversity in an area and call it a ghetto area for that reason..but being a minority myself i like going out and not feeling different the way i feel when i go to chandler or scottsdale.

one of my co workers who is native american recently went in to an apple bees in scottsdale and when she walked in the girl asked her if she was there to apply...(she was there to have dinner)..thats the type of things minorities face in predominantly white areas but you cant explain that to a white person when they ask why youd wanna live in laveen because they dont go through that.

I would never ever live in those areas because i love seeing so much diversity and i feel comfortable in an area like laveen..some people may not. and i think thats where their negativity comes in..i am sure there are some areas of laveen that arent great (like southern ave area) but there are many areas that are very nice just like in any part of az or any other state...

i just bought a home in dobbins point off 43rd ave and dobbins rd...right by the mountains...its a gorgeous very safe community..all my neighbors that ive talked to tell me they have heard nothing about break ins..cars being stolen etc...everyone is out walking at night...so it just depends on where you buy....AND my house is appraising for one hundred thousand more than what i paid for it!!!!! (it was bank owned).

so im happy here and i think ill live here aslong as im in AZ. if other people think its so bad then good for us laveen residents...more room and less pollution )

Old 05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Regarding the gal at Applebee's:

Oh My Gawd!

I s'pose that's typical behavior in Snottsdale.

Last edited by YAZ; 05-21-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area