Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times

Advertisements

This past March I spent a bit over a week in Goodyear, going around to the various baseball spring training sites. Since I am primarily an Indians fan, I spent most of my time in Goodyear.

While down there I noticed quite a few homes for sale, which is not surprising based upon the age of the development and what has happened to the market the past couple of years. However, in looking at some real estate agent pricing sheets, what struck me a bit odd was that many homes priced in the $120-$150K range had "association fees" of around $125-$200.

These fees are quite high (I assume they are monthly) considering the basic home purchase prices, so I was curious as to what was generally included in these types of fees. I noticed quite a few homes had in-ground pools, and I didn't notice any significant clubhouses, so I was wondering what type of benefits were included in these fees.

I have some friends from Cleveland who are considering moving there part time in retirement, so any insights I could provide to them concerning the total cost of real estate in that area would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,131,212 times
I live in goodyear and my HOA dues are about $120 a quarter. I live nearish to the stadium. These dues go primarily towards common area maintenance, etc.

Also keep in mind that HOA dues and home values can sometiems have little to do with each other. The HOA fees didn't jump up when those same houses were selling for $225,000. It's tied purely to the services provided by that HOA and how much it costs to provide those services.

Was there a particular subdivision you were looking at?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
While I cannot comment on the amounts specifically mention, the fees generally take care of Common Area maintence and, if the streets are "private" (and there are some), to take care of street maintence as well as things like the street lights.

If the community is gated or guard gated, the cost of maintaining these improvements can be high.

One really needs to ask for a specfic list of that the HOA fees are paying.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM

942 posts, read 2,505,470 times
We live in Palm Valley and our fees are about $181 a quarter, so $60 or so a month.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
We live in Palm Valley and our fees are about $181 a quarter, so $60 or so a month.
So perhaps what he was seeing was quarterly $$$'s? That would make a lot more sense considering the area.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM

587 posts, read 1,413,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So perhaps what he was seeing was quarterly $$$'s? That would make a lot more sense considering the area.
That's what I was thinking. We live in Palm Valley Phase 3 and our dues are around $120/quarter.

Our dues were higher in Estrella, but I don't remember off the top of my head what they were.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 PM

I have no idea about the frequency of payment.

While wandering around for a few hours after a couple of the games, I saw some subdivisions to the north of the ballpark and generally slightly to the west side of Estrella Parkway and Pebble Creek Parkway (both are the same street, I think they changed names when crossing W McDowell). I saw some homes with "for sale" signs in front, and looked at probably a half a dozen of the one page feature/cost summaries. I noticed in these summaries a note at the bottom which said something about an "association fee", and generally it was in the $120-200 cost range.

I specifically looked for frequency of payment, but never saw it mentioned. My assumption was that there is some kind of normal frequency in greater Phoenix, and those in the area understood the cost impact. Not seeing a frequency, I couldn't figure out if these fees were monthly, quarterly or annually.

BTW, the communities weren't gated.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,131,212 times
it's most likely quarterly - but is something you could have clarified

if you go north of the I-10 you are heading towards the O55 Pebble Creek subdivision - hence Pebble Creek Parkway ....... if you go south towards Estrella Mountain Ranch (now just Estrella) which gives you Estrella Parkway

North of the ballpark is most likely Centerra - if you go N West near you could be in wildflower ranch - glenmont estates is pretty much across from it (and some other sub divisions)

Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM

So, an association fee of $150 on a real estate listing of a $120K home would likely be quarterly. That would make sense to me, it just seemed like such a high fee to be monthly, though in California (where I currently live) that could be possible.

I just assumed that there was some kind of agreed to standard for the metro area real estate listings, that the listed association fees would be monthly or quarterl or annually. But I guess not.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Unlike taxes, fees don't have anything to do with what the house costs. You pay the same no matter what size house you have in every development I have ever lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area