Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,046 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from alaska to phoenix this summer. Can anyone tell me if the Glendale Peoria area are safe for families. I also would like to know if anyone knows of a good rental company to go through. We are only wanting to spend about $900 or less a month on rent is this a doable thing (up here rent is very expensive). Also is it standard for most houses to have a.c. or do we need to add that ourselves.
thanks in advance eveyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
there are many great family areas all over the valley (Phx metro area)....Peoria and Glendale are good middle-class spots, but neighborhoods vary greatly, even from block to block, all over the area.....

$900 a month is cutting it a bit....it may not cover what you need for your family....

make sure you have employment lined up or some hard contacts....things are depressed here now, as you probably know.....

all houses here have either AC or what we call a swamp cooler/evaporative cooler.....you'll need to get used to the swamp cooler if you don't know what that is and it's all the place you get has...it's much cheaper to run, but may be uncomfortable if you don't like humidity

don't know about rental companies....I hope others can advise you on that

the Phx area is very spread out....be ready for lots of driving, a very warm summer, a difficult economy....also be ready for friendly people, nice winters, dry air, wide-open country, lots of year-round recreation.....

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
you should be able to rent out a decent sized place for $900 in most of the decent areas of glendale/peoria

some form of cooling will be standard - swamp coolers exist more in the older homes - most of the new ones are central AC

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM

134 posts, read 348,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
....also be ready for friendly people, nice winters, dry air, wide-open country, lots of year-round recreation.....
Have to comment on that. I spent this January in Phoenix and the weather was fantastic... hitting 80 on a few days. I must say I was most impressed with the people. For a city the size of Phoenix I was very impressed how friendly people were and also courteous drivers. Way to go Phoenixians!! (is that what your called?)

Old 05-15-2009, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,046 times
Thanks everyone for replying so quickly.

Guess I should explain a little more about us my boyfriend works as a store manager for an auto parts company and I'm a stay at home mom so employment is not a problem.

We only have one child so we don't need a lot of space. Maybe a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a decent yard.

The heat is a little intimidating but after dealing with moose and bears in the yard all summer I think I'll take the heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area