Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
LIGHT RAIL IS A DISASTER. Getting back on subject here, the rail is losing $10,000,000 a month. It is costing $10 for every person that gets on. The city forged ahead without listening what happened to other cities. The only profitable rail systems like Salt Lake City run from the airport to downtown and uses turnstiles, not this honor system we have. Now we have problems with security on weekends as teens ride free to Tempe and gangs get on and harass passengers.
Oh cry me a river
That leads to your ocean

It's just emotion that's taken me over
Tied up in sorrow, lost in my soul

How much does it cost to fill up your gas-guzzling car, SUV, or pick-up truck? Surely more than $10 everytime you drive.

People that like to ******* about the costs of light-rail don't realize that it only costs them a few Pennies in Sales taxes per purchase, compared to roughly $20-$50 everytime they purchase Gas for their tanks. They don't seem to be upset about that!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
naw I'm bored so I might aswell ***** about them posting the exact same pics in multiple threads to spam their website.
Another Debbie Downer or a Grumpy old man.

Maybe you should get off the 'puter and do something to relieve your boredom-----------
Take up a hobby like photography, ride a bike and get fit, explore the things Phoenix has to offer, or better yet get a job!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Another Debbie Downer or a Grumpy old man.

Maybe you should get off the 'puter and do something to relieve your boredom-----------
Take up a hobby like photography, ride a bike and get fit, explore the things Phoenix has to offer, or better yet get a job!!!!!!!
Actually I'm at work and i do bike and hike on my spare time. I have nothing against their photos they just seem to spam the same ones over and over again.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
LIGHT RAIL IS A DISASTER. Getting back on subject here, the rail is losing $10,000,000 a month. It is costing $10 for every person that gets on. The city forged ahead without listening what happened to other cities. The only profitable rail systems like Salt Lake City run from the airport to downtown and uses turnstiles, not this honor system we have. Now we have problems with security on weekends as teens ride free to Tempe and gangs get on and harass passengers.
Light rail in SLC does not run to the Airport, does not use turnstiles, and is not profitable. Please get the facts straight before trying to make comparisons to other cities. As for those gangs harassing passengers, I've never seen that. Can you cite any sources or provide any documentation?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Turnstiles at light rail stations in SLC? LOL! What was he smoking. There is no problem with gang bangers "harassing" people. I ride everyday and nothing like that happens and there have been no reports of such incidents. Also, there aren't "loads of teenagers" riding for free or what not. 2 out of 3 times I am on the train, Transit Police ask to see my proof of purchased and activated fare. I know there are people who get away with riding for free but it is nowhere near a majority of passengers.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I don't get it, what is this supposed to be a picture of, the light rail stop? Do you just walk around and take random pictures?

Just because you own a nice camera does not make you a professional. You can use a $5,000 camera to take a picture of a piece of ****, but in the end, it's still a piece of ****.
Why must you always be so rude?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
LIGHT RAIL IS A DISASTER. Getting back on subject here, the rail is losing $10,000,000 a month.
Can you post a reliable source for the dollar figure of loss you cited?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
How much does it cost to fill up your gas-guzzling car, SUV, or pick-up truck? Surely more than $10 everytime you drive.
Don't you hate that? Look at me i have a giant SUV or a giant truck that does not haul anything but myself and my giant wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Can you post a reliable source for the dollar figure of loss you cited?
Agreed. Sources and giving credit to the source would be proper.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Light rail in SLC does not run to the Airport, does not use turnstiles, and is not profitable. Please get the facts straight before trying to make comparisons to other cities. As for those gangs harassing passengers, I've never seen that. Can you cite any sources or provide any documentation?
That is correct - I just flew out of SLC in December and there were not any signs of light rail.

Quote:
LIGHT RAIL IS A DISASTER. Getting back on subject here, the rail is losing $10,000,000 a month. It is costing $10 for every person that gets on..
Yeah, they should have put in more roads because they EARN the city soooo much money and are completely self sufficient and not subsidized by taxpayer dollars at all...

Additionally, the logic in your inarticulately stated argument is severely flawed. By your calculations it would cost the city less money if less people used the rail, when in reality the opposite is true. Perhaps you should put a little more thought into your posts.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:29 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,127 times
On a related note, since so many people (or maybe just a few really noisy people) are offended by pictures maybe there should be a sticky thread strictly for Phoenix infrastructure?

I personally would love seeing more pictures (especially abqstyle's pics) and it would be great if they were all consolidated in one thread at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area