Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yeah - i guess with the swine flu gone they need another pandemic to sell

maybe the next headline could read - "in a sea of poor quality foreclosed homes in an overbuilt neighborhood there is more growing than just the weeds, there is more festering aside from disease from long abandoned pools......... for the few that remain kidnapping is a daily threat that keeps valley residents wrapped up in their upside down homes more effectively than the non stopping 120 degree weather"
Thats so funny, thats just what I was thinking! I saw it and thought, Christ! Not again! When will they start telling me some news for the common everyday person and stop advertising for the cartel. I mean, I NEVER, EVER, NOT ONCE have worried about this issue. I crack up every time I see it.

ninjagrrl:
ha ha, and yes, the poor out of state relatives. The same thing happens when we get flash floods, I get tons of calls checking to see if I've been washed away. lol

Last edited by twiggy; 05-19-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
It's the "kidnapping capital" of the country, not world.
I'm not joking, the headline for the story was "Arizona", the kidnapping capital of the world". They of course didn't get into the Cartel portion until the story unwrapped and I thought, oh great, the threads will be booming with this crap the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to derail it a bit first. lol

Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
just another troll thread, by another troll
Troll for a day, yeah! Awesome!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It is hype, but VERY real if you are in the smuggling trade. If you smuggle drugs, guns, and humans then you are in very real danger of being kidnapped. Saying Phoenix is the kidnapping capital of the world is completely overblown because it doesn't compare to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Rio, Caracas, Moscow, Rome, etc.

In those latin American and European cities, people with money, business men, tourists, Americans/Europeans are kidnapped for ransom at random.
I know, and if I was a drug smuggler I would have been crapping my pants but, they made it sound like it was in every area of Phoenix. They even showed neighborhood photos and said, see this isn't in bad areas, it's everywhere, everyone should be very careful out there. I also thought, wow, the world huh???? I mean, it was a little much to say the least. lol

Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM

97 posts, read 353,065 times
To those who want to play this off as "just another troll thread" then by all means, do that, but for everyone else, please recognize that this is a serious problem.

I just spend ten minutes reading this: Torture a hallmark of Phoenix's drug kidnappings - CNN.com

I seriously couldn't believe how scary it was JUST TO READ THAT, let alone actually be in that situation. Something needs to be done with Mexico and the border.

edit: I talked to a friend who lives in Phoenix and he said: "Yeah I've heard about that. It happens to random people that move into the apartments after the 'bad guys' move out."

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 41,100 times
I talked to a friend who lives in Phoenix and he said: "Yeah I've heard about that. It happens to random people that move into the apartments after the 'bad guys' move out."

EXACTLY !!! what happens when the kidnappers get THE WRONG PERSON.

in the last 2 months, i have read stories, about phoenix, where the WRONG teenage girl was kidnapped. the kidnappers wanted a drug dealer's daughter, but actually nabbed a kid from the neighborhood. and kidnappers usually rape and torture to pass away the idle hours.

how will you feel when this happens to YOUR kid ???

so let's stop blaming the victims here. living in ghetto communities means everyone suffers and is at risk. stop the self-absorbed arrogance of it won't happen to me or mine please people.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
please recognize that this is a serious problem.
No it's not.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Um, it is a concern for people involved and I guess you could be the random one who gets picked by accident but you could also be the random one who gets arrested, or shot, or a whole host of things.

Unless they are so stupid they are making these mistakes everyday, and never hitting the people they want then it's just a sad story. I feel bad but its like being worried they are going to accidentally amputate the wrong leg at the hospital, it happens but not everyday. I don't think people should live in fear of this one, I really don't.
You can ask anyone on here, I don't take things lightly that I think are real problems like our "bad" rep for education but this is a little ridiculous to even me. I'm not going to scare people for something like this.
Should they do something about it? Yes
Should it worry people everyday about moving to Phoenix? NOT!

Despondent dads driven to kill loved ones - CNN.com Here is another story right under that one, for god sake woman, don't get married anymore!!!!
You might get shot!

Last edited by twiggy; 05-19-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM

35 posts, read 128,569 times
Um in the article it clearly states that the victim was a coyote, so again a clear case of criminals attacking criminals.

To be serious for a moment, yes there is always a chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time or mistaken identity... but that is the case anywhere in life not just in "The kidnapping capital". I don't think the odds of such an occurrence are that greatly magnified here, i think its a matter of perception mostly enhanced by over reactive media.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
The worst sign of crime I've seen where I live is an occasional red light runner or someone pulled over for speeding on Carefree Hwy. The house nextdoor to mine has been foreclosed and vacant for over a year and has not even been vandalized. I ride my motorcycle through other parts of Phoenix about once or twice a week, also never seen any sign of crime there. When I went to the Phoenix gun buyback last year in the South Mountain precinct (not a nice area), I saw not one gangbanger turning in guns, just regular looking people turning in junk guns for a $100 grocery card or selling for cash to friends of mine or me. Where is all this crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area