Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:21 AM

788 posts, read 2,104,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Just because an area is "incorporated" doesn't mean it is as populated as it is currently-that is my point. It has been built up like everywhere else. Jeez-does everyone have to jump on every little detail?
The thing is that Goodyear is an old industrial town. New development has only happened during the latest real estate boom. Saying it's a newer community is a bit misleading. Having a larger population now than it did 10 years ago doesn't mean it's a newer community.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-08-2007 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
Please keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,666 times
Default Sorry, its true! Phoenix Bites!

Anyone who thinks this city has any class, has just never been to a real city. Thats all there is to it.

Phoenix is Soulless, Lifeless, Dismal, Empty, and a completely useless city. Take my advice and move anywhere but here. Unless you thrive on complete boredom, then this place is for you. No culture, no class, nothing that remotely hints at "cool" and a whole bunch of people who think they've found their calling when it comes to "boosting" the cities image. *******s! This place sucks. Period.

Here's a great link for ya!

[url=http://www.latimemachines.com/]Los Angeles History - bars & restaurants[/url]

Browse this site in its entirety first and then try to find ANYTHING like it about Phoenix. I could write an equally in depth website on what Phoenix USED to have and COULD have had, had it had any Foresite, Imagination, Vision and Culture. This is a sad, sad, sad, sad city and I can't believe that I've spent almost twenty five years here.

Gone is the Kon Tiki Hotel and the Tiki Lounge! And the only reason the Bikini Lounge got "rediscovered" was the kids of the First Friday crowds. I used to live across the street from that bar and I went there long before it was "cool". Only the vagrants patronized the place. And believe me, evertime I go by there when its NOT first Friday the vagrants are still there!

Try having a pint at Seamus McCaffrey's at the San Carlos on Monroe and Central. Then go and try to find a few more places just like it! You won't and you can't because there aren't any. They tore down the King's Cocktail bar, pitty because at least it had city character. Its a dirt lot now. Just like the Jungle. dirt lot!

Then there's the Dodge Theatre. Wow, people were thrilled to have it! Without so much as a glance at that cool little row of old buildings BEHIND it next to that super cool old Art Deco hotel (The Monroe, I think) that will likely be torn down. This could easily have been a super hot spot of jazz and dinner clubs to go to After the concert. Complete idiots run this city.

If you're thinking of moving here, do yourself a favor and give some other awesome city a second look. I hate this place and if I could, I'd move out in a New York minute. But I'm stuck here. And ignore all those people who tell you we have a "great" school system and "Low Crime" and try to push all these fantasy stats on you. It doesn't change the fact that this city still SUCKS! And it will suck the life out of you wishing it didn't.

Phoenix just doesn't have "IT" and it likely never will.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 PM

683 posts, read 2,642,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixBites View Post
I hate this place and if I could, I'd move out in a New York minute. But I'm stuck here.
I understand. I would hate any place if I was stuck there. But this is America, most of us are able to move if we don't like where we're living. That's why I left Illinois and moved to Arizona.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 PM

919 posts, read 3,383,553 times
FenixBites - what have you done about it?

It's easy to ***** & moan.

Cool things are delivered by cool people with passion and the willingness to roll up their sleeves and who don't ***** & moan, but look for opportunity. Folks like Johnny Chu @ Fate; Matt of his namesake Big Breakfast and Rossevelt Tavern; Chris at Pane & Pizzaria Biancos; Ben Bethel, who has turned the Clarendon Hotel from an empty shell into a great botique destination, and countless others. There are lots of people busting their butts to build unique shops, theaters, art studios, restaurants, bars, etc.

Is your personal enjoyment an entitlement?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
FenixBites - what have you done about it?

It's easy to ***** & moan.

Cool things are delivered by cool people with passion and the willingness to roll up their sleeves and who don't ***** & moan, but look for opportunity. Folks like Johnny Chu @ Fate; Matt of his namesake Big Breakfast and Rossevelt Tavern; Chris at Pane & Pizzaria Biancos; Ben Bethel, who has turned the Clarendon Hotel from an empty shell into a great botique destination, and countless others. There are lots of people busting their butts to build unique shops, theaters, art studios, restaurants, bars, etc.

Is your personal enjoyment an entitlement?
Those who think it's boring here aren't looking. On new year's eve, I went to a party in a warehouse in the art district in downtown phoenix. It wasn't advertised. You just have to actually go out and look for your bliss and you'll find it. I think it's laziness that makes people believe that entertainment and people should come to them. Either that, or they just have a narrow perspective of what's good in the world.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 AM

61 posts, read 119,609 times
Default Phoenix is God Awful

At first the Senoran Desert was the appeal of AZ to me because it was so much different than what I was used to.

I was used to miserable things like an extremely progressive city in the Green, Lush forests of Oregon.. Beautiful volcano's, picturesque snow capped mountain ranges of the cascades.. Rivers, the Pacific Ocean and Lakes everywhere you turned..

I won't call moving here a waste because I met my wife and we now have a beautiful daughter and I wouldn't change those experiences for the world! But what a suburban waste land this is....

If I would have known that the 5th biggest city in the country was nothing more than strip malls, cookie cutter housing developments lined with fry's and wallmarts, I would have never moved here. I couldn't phathom how lame a city this size could actually be.. We are headed to the East coast next month.

People rant and rave about Phoenix being the 5th largest city (statistically) in the U.S... It's nothing more than one suburb after another with (people are exactly right) no culture, history, convenience, ANY big city ammeneties.

You can draw a big enough circle anywhere and get four million people. Many other regions of the country are far more entitled to the 5th biggest city when you look at it that way..

Phoenix' population density is a whopping 3,000 people per square mile! The top 20 biggest cities in the U.S. have more people and independent businesses populating their streets per sq mi.. Honestly all SW cities suck.. They all have this sprawling mentality which goes against any other U.S., European or Asian style of city in the World.

L.A. is 9,000 per square mile.. The 2nd pathetic example. (aside from "big" texas cities) Philadelphia is 16,000.. That's five times as many people walking around any given area of Philly than Phoenix.

On top of that, Philly has the 3rd highest populated downtown in the u.s. behind Chicago and NYC.. The metro area of Philly is 5,900,000 next to the Phoenix metro area of 4,000,000 in about 1/2 the space..

It doesn't stop there west coast's bragging cities...

There are cities in NJ with 45,000 people per square mile and I don't even want to touch the big city feel difference there, yet NJ claims no huge cities because they are their own municipalities and don't cheat and anex land...

Manhattan is 66,000 per square mile.. Okay, Phoenix, or anywhere in the West is a joke when you look at this.

Simply put, Phoenix anexes land and incorporates communitites that want nothing to do with them and at the same time all of these snowbirds and retirees keep moving outward to keep it "white" and secluded.. Requiring new communities to form every year and every year it loses even more of it's sense of community.

I moved to Phoenix not believing friends who had moved here before me about how dead it is before moving back to Portland.. I blew them off to end up driving 30 minutes to a town with 250,000 people to have fun.. (scottsdale) a suburb that will be dead in the next 10 years too as the area just keeps on with it's never ending sprawl.. I've never seen anything like this in my life.

Last edited by cevett; 01-03-2008 at 05:15 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevett View Post
At first the Senoran Desert was the appeal of AZ to me because it was so much different than what I was used to.

I was used to miserable things like an extremely progressive city in the Green, Lush forests of Oregon.. Beautiful volcano's, picturesque snow capped mountain ranges of the cascades.. Rivers, the Pacific Ocean and Lakes everywhere you turned..

I won't call moving here a waste because I met my wife and we now have a beautiful daughter and I wouldn't change those experiences for the world! But what a suburban waste land this is....

If I would have known that the 5th biggest city in the country was nothing more than strip malls, cookie cutter housing developments lined with fry's and wallmarts, I would have never moved here. I couldn't phathom how lame a city this size could actually be.. We are headed to the East coast next month.

People rant and rave about Phoenix being the 5th largest city (statistically) in the U.S... It's nothing more than one suburb after another with (people are exactly right) no culture, history, convenience, ANY big city ammeneties.

You can draw a big enough circle anywhere and get four million people. Many other regions of the country are far more entitled to the 5th biggest city when you look at it that way..

Phoenix' population density is a whopping 3,000 people per square mile! The top 20 biggest cities in the U.S. have more people and independent businesses populating their streets per sq mi.. Honestly all SW cities suck.. They all have this sprawling mentality which goes against any other U.S., European or Asian style of city in the World.

L.A. is 9,000 per square mile.. The 2nd pathetic example. (aside from "big" texas cities) Philadelphia is 16,000.. That's five times as many people walking around any given area of Philly than Phoenix.

On top of that, Philly has the 3rd highest populated downtown in the u.s. behind Chicago and NYC.. The metro area of Philly is 5,900,000 next to the Phoenix metro area of 4,000,000 in about 1/2 the space..

It doesn't stop there west coast's bragging cities...

There are cities in NJ with 45,000 people per square mile and I don't even want to touch the big city feel difference there, yet NJ claims no huge cities because they are their own municipalities and don't cheat and anex land...

Manhattan is 66,000 per square mile.. Okay, Phoenix, or anywhere in the West is a joke when you look at this.

Simply put, Phoenix anexes land and incorporates communitites that want nothing to do with them and at the same time all of these snowbirds and retirees keep moving outward to keep it "white" and secluded.. Requiring new communities to form every year and every year it loses even more of it's sense of community.

I moved to Phoenix not believing friends who had moved here before me about how dead it is before moving back to Portland.. I blew them off to end up driving 30 minutes to a town with 250,000 people to have fun.. (scottsdale) a suburb that will be dead in the next 10 years too as the area just keeps on with it's never ending sprawl.. I've never seen anything like this in my life.
1. there's a difference between density and size or total population. If you'd rather live elbow to elbow, then just state that. Some would rather have a little breathing room. Regardless, the size of a city is not determined by density alone.

2. There is a lot of history and culture here but most people who have not spent many years in AZ do not care to learn or experience it. Those of us who are interested in Arizona's heritage take the time to discover it.

3. My mom's side of the family has lived in Scottsdale since the 60s, and it has been a consistently thriving city since before they moved there. It's not going to die anytime soon as you say.

4. There are downsides to living in a city with urban boundaries as Portland has (as much as I wish Phoenix had them), such as a higher cost of living and higher density. As far as nature is concerned, did you ever choose to venture out of Phoenix? We have several national parks and many mountains, canyons (including the "grandest" one on earth), many springs, waterfalls, forests, etc...We have an abundance and a variety of wildlife. You just have to choose not to lock yourself in a small area and venture into the world.

5. Your joke is my pleasure. I really can't understand people who post such bitterness about a city, saying this or that city is so much better. Obviously, many people do love it here. Why don't you take responsibility for your own happiness and move to a place that better suits you, leaving those of us who love to live here in peace? Why such negativity? Live and let live already.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 AM

461 posts, read 1,805,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
5. Your joke is my pleasure. I really can't understand people who post such bitterness about a city, saying this or that city is so much better. Obviously, many people do love it here. Why don't you take responsibility for your own happiness and move to a place that better suits you, leaving those of us who love to live here in peace? Why such negativity? Live and let live already.

Amen to that!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM

6,589 posts, read 5,835,807 times
Getting back to why we hate Phoenix.... I am so mad that I spent all that money on an all wheel drive vehicle back in Massachusetts that has no advantage here on these dry, ice-free roads. Waaaa!

I'm really P.O.'d over the fact that used cars have no rust here. I just bought a '97 Corolla that will probably go another 100,000 miles. Life's just so unfair.

I hate that my mortgage in Glendale is cheaper than the rent I was paying in Boston all those years. And my house is my very ideal design--one story, no stairs, back yard, quiet street. Darn it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area