Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 10:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,688 times

Advertisements

same as most, at the gas station. guys story was he was moving and needed gas to transport his stuff to his new place, I gave him enough to buy a few gallons. I don't mind though It makes me feel good to help out in a little way like that. I am sure sometimes we are just being suckered, hopefully other times someone really does buy food or something.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
It happens too often. Now I don't understand this thing where you drove to Phoenix but didn't bring enough money to get yourself back to wherever the hell you belong? I don't want to hear your stupid story ("I met this girl, then two guys came along and beat me up and took my money" - I'm thinking: you don't look beat up), just get out of my face. I am always trying to make up excuses too, but sometimes I just want to be like GET AWAY FROM ME, not using those words, either.. I try to be non-confrontational because you never know what is going on with these guys. It is always younger (mid-late 20s?) white males. I am not sure if that means anything or is completely irrelevant. It sounds like these guys need to suck it up and get a job and become a little responsible.

The pan handlers, like I said, at least they do not harass me, they just stand there. I do a lot of walking around so I am not always just hiding in my car with the window up either.

In terms of where it has happened: I work around I-17 and Dunlap, it happened in my hotel parking lot, the Shell there, and the Fry's on Peoria just west of I-17. That is within a 1 week period. Maybe I just look like a sucker?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
I moved away from a bad move to Austin. Now thats a town where they actually walk up and down the street while you are at a stop light. They look right at you. They were just about everywhere. Like I said, I guess I am more luckier than alot of you, I have yet to see them here in Gilbert.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I moved away from a bad move to Austin. Now thats a town where they actually walk up and down the street while you are at a stop light. They look right at you. They were just about everywhere. Like I said, I guess I am more luckier than alot of you, I have yet to see them here in Gilbert.
On my last business trip to Austin, I noticed that some Downtown panhandlers have a racket where they flag down passing cars looking for a parking spot on the street. They then request a finder's fee for a vacant parking spot they have been "holding" for the car. Experiences like these make realize that no matter how much panhandling in Phoenix annoys me, I've encountered far more aggressive forms of it in cities like Austin, San Francisco, and Atlanta.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Wow!! counsElor J, what an elloquent post. You are more than welcome to not ever come to Arizona . . . ever.

As for me, I just hate AZ. I hate all that sunshine. I hate not having to lock my doors for fear of not being victimized. I hate the low property taxes (compared to CA). I hate the massive movie theaters. I hate the spirit of individuality in AZ. I hate the $.50 per gallon lower gas prices. I hate the fact that AZ schools want to make sure students can speak English. I hate the most beautiful sunsets in the world. I hate the smell of the Valley afte a downpour. I hate the amazing thunderstorms and monsoons. I hate all the camping, fishing, and hiking. Gahhh, what a horrid place this Arizona. Sure it has real problems like everywhere else, but these are the things I really really hate about Arizona.

You're turning positives, at least from your perspective, into negatives.

I'll have a stab at this, too. I love AZ!!!

I LOVE SKIN CANCER. When I'm in Phoenix on vacation, I schedule all daily activities around noon, so my skin can enjoy every squamous-cell skin cancer, Mayo Clinic ray of that glorious sunshine. Don't you just love that smell and aroma of burning flesh? Perfection! It is nice!

I just love the visual of a vegetation-free, greenless, planet-looking landscape that makes you feel like you're on another planet a million miles from Earth. ET, where are you?

I love the thought of not having to think about the consequences of my car breaking down with the temperature hovering around 115 degrees.

The AZ heat is such a dry heat. I bet you've never heard that before. You see, you do learn something new every day. Heavens, 115 degrees feels more like 60 degrees back east. Honestly! If you should vacation in Phoenix during the summer, pack a light jacket to wear during the day.

If your car should break down in the summer heat, enjoy every minute. Take your shirt off, of course if you're a man, and enjoy the squamous-cell skin cancer sunshine. Make sure you play Peggy Lee's wonderful song 'Fever' and forget about water, sunglasses, hats, lotions, and a cell phone. Really! Those items are needless, non-necessities. Especially water! You may need those types of things back east in that awful, terrible humid climate, but not in good ol' cool, low humidity AZ.

Madonna had her version of 'Fever.' Play that, too. It's good. Madonna's 'Burning Up' is a delight.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 AM

175 posts, read 464,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
You're turning positives, at least from your perspective, into negatives.

I'll have a stab at this, too. I love AZ!!!

I LOVE SKIN CANCER. When I'm in Phoenix on vacation, I schedule all daily activities around noon, so my skin can enjoy every squamous-cell skin cancer, Mayo Clinic ray of that glorious sunshine. Don't you just love that smell and aroma of burning flesh? Perfection! It is nice!

I just love the visual of a vegetation-free, greenless, planet-looking landscape that makes you feel like you're on another planet a million miles from Earth. ET, where are you?

I love the thought of not having to think about the consequences of my car breaking down with the temperature hovering around 115 degrees.

The AZ heat is such a dry heat. I bet you've never heard that before. You see, you do learn something new every day. Heavens, 115 degrees feels more like 60 degrees back east. Honestly! If you should vacation in Phoenix during the summer, pack a light jacket to wear during the day.

If your car should break down in the summer heat, enjoy every minute. Take your shirt off, of course if you're a man, and enjoy the squamous-cell skin cancer sunshine. Make sure you play Peggy Lee's wonderful song 'Fever' and forget about water, sunglasses, hats, lotions, and a cell phone. Really! Those items are needless, non-necessities. Especially water! You may need those types of things back east in that awful, terrible humid climate, but not in good ol' cool, low humidity AZ.

Madonna had her version of 'Fever.' Play that, too. It's good. Madonna's 'Burning Up' is a delight.
I can relate to a car breaking down on the freeway. I have had two incidences when it was so hot my tires literally blew up from the heat. Pulled over and spent a half an hour in the sweltering heat changing it. That can really ruin your day. One thing I learned was cheap tires often have a lower temperature rating than the more expensive ones. Don't compromise when buying tires in Phoenix.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Another thing you can do is fill them up at a higher pressure. Higher pressure=cooler tires. You can go right up to the sidewall rating.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Another thing you can do is fill them up at a higher pressure. Higher pressure=cooler tires. You can go right up to the sidewall rating.
And don't drive on tires more than four years old. Doesn't matter how much tread is left or when you bought them. Check the ADOT code on the sidewall. The last four digits are the week and year of manufacture.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
I can relate to a car breaking down on the freeway. I have had two incidences when it was so hot my tires literally blew up from the heat. Pulled over and spent a half an hour in the sweltering heat changing it. That can really ruin your day. One thing I learned was cheap tires often have a lower temperature rating than the more expensive ones. Don't compromise when buying tires in Phoenix.

I don't think I could change a tire in only 30 minutes. It's hard to stay cool, calm, and collected in that type of situation. Your nerves are just frazzled.

Car breakdowns, when the temperature is extremely hot or cold, CAN ruin your day. That's for sure! If the weather conditions are in the danger zone, a car breakdown has the potential to also ruin your life. It's very possible. It could be your last day. I don't know which is worse--extreme heat or extreme cold?

I think the general consensus is that it's not advisable to change a flat tire on a freeway or road. That's what I've read. Being on the shoulder is dangerous, when cars speed by so fast. If a car should veer off onto the shoulder, you're a goner.

If your car should break down, I think it's best to call a towing service. It may cost you a few bucks but it's probably worth it. If it's really hot or cold, you really should call a towing service.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
And don't drive on tires more than four years old. Doesn't matter how much tread is left or when you bought them. Check the ADOT code on the sidewall. The last four digits are the week and year of manufacture.

That's good advice.

Today, people are keeping their cars for a longer period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area