Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM

55 posts, read 123,620 times

Advertisements

yes, definitely got my car back!!
There should be tow signs and some people shouldn't be so quick to call
a tow company when the entire parking lot is EMPTY. Really, was my f$cking car
bothering them so much?? IT was halloween night for god's sake and the next
day it's gone. Then the tow yard out here - another criminal has the nerve to charge $300!! Can you say p$ssed?? rrrgh.....

Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM

55 posts, read 123,620 times
ArizonaBear - don't tell me what to do - like EVER!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotinthecity View Post
Then the tow yard out here - another criminal has the nerve to charge $300!! Can you say p$ssed?? rrrgh.....
Tow yard - criminal? No - they charged the fee they were / are allowed to, to tow YOUR vehicle off of someone elses property

At least - you got it back

Old 11-02-2008, 07:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Tow yard - criminal? No - they charged the fee they were / are allowed to, to tow YOUR vehicle off of someone elses property

At least - you got it back
At least - some people were released from concentration camps.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
At least - some people were released from concentration camps.
With respect - your comment is unresponsive to the issue at hand.

The other poster was, by their own admission, trespassing. That is a violation of law. Towing, and impounding, of their vehicle was, regardless of your opinion, quite legal.

It actually could have cost them a lot more financially.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you are on someone elses property, without their permission, you are trespassing. In the case of a motor vehicle - it is subject to being towed.

This is the case in most states. No prior notice (the signs you asked about) are needed
That is completely false. AZ has strong laws in this area. Signs are required and must be very specifically designed and displayed. Here is Title 9 and applicable section of A.R.S.

9-499.05. Authority to set rates for private towing carrier; notice of parking violations; violation; classification; definition

A. The governing body of an incorporated city or town may regulate the maximum rate and charge for towing, transporting or impounding a motor vehicle from private property without the permission of the owner or operator of the vehicle by any private towing carriers doing business within its boundaries. A private towing carrier is subject to the maximum rate and charge regulation prescribed by the city or town for all such towing, transporting or impounding services if the vehicle being towed or transported is towed from private property located within the boundaries of the city or town.

B. The owner or agent of the owner of the private property shall be deemed to have given consent to unrestricted parking by the general public in any parking area of the private property unless such parking area is posted with signs as prescribed by this subsection which are clearly visible and readable from any point within the parking area and at each entrance. Such signs shall contain, at a minimum, the following:

1. Restrictions on parking.

2. Disposition of vehicles found in violation of the parking restrictions.

3. Maximum cost to the violator, including storage fees and any other charges that could result from the disposition of a vehicle parked in violation of parking restrictions.

4. Telephone number and address where the violator can locate the violator's vehicle.

C. It is unlawful for a private towing carrier to tow or transport a motor vehicle from private property without the permission of the owner or operator of the motor vehicle unless such private towing carrier receives a request from a law enforcement agency or the express written permission from the owner or the agent of the owner of the property that has complied with the requirements of subsection B. The owner or the owner's agent shall either sign each towing order or authorize the tow by a written contract which is valid for a specific length of time. The private towing carrier may not act as the agent of the owner.

D. A person who violates subsection C is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.

E. This section shall apply only to services performed while a person is actually engaged in the activities of a private towing carrier.

F. The provisions of this section do not apply to abandoned or junk vehicles disposed of pursuant to title 28, chapter 11.

G. For the purposes of this section, "private towing carrier" means any person who commercially offers services to tow, transport or impound motor vehicles from private property without the permission of the owner or operator of the vehicle by use of a truck or other vehicle designed for or adapted to that purpose.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 PM

68 posts, read 285,740 times
Quote:
I have a new reason to hate Phoenix!
Soo.... my car gets towed from a parking lot by this little troll; is there a sign anywhere saying they will tow? NO!
In California, there are either signs or you get a ticket - they don't just tow your
car.
Total b$ll****!!! This state has a$$-backward laws!
The towing companies make a killing in Phoenix. The Jack in the Box on Mill Ave is notorious for towings. One night I watched two cars in a row get towed. The tow guy popped his head in Jack in the Box, he said, "who drives the red truck?" Nobody answered, and he started gettin' out the tie down chains.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotinthecity View Post
yes, definitely got my car back!!
There should be tow signs and some people shouldn't be so quick to call
a tow company when the entire parking lot is EMPTY. Really, was my f$cking car
bothering them so much?? IT was halloween night for god's sake and the next
day it's gone. Then the tow yard out here - another criminal has the nerve to charge $300!! Can you say p$ssed?? rrrgh.....
Sign must be posted, otherwise it would be illegal for anyone to tow your vehicle/property as Ponderosa. I didn't know the details but to assume no such warning signs would be needed, just wouldn't make much sense.

Anyhow, if you can prove there were no signs in that immediate area/parking lot (take pictures), you can sue the property owner for damages ($300+ whatever else).

You could talk to them in a firm manner with the pictures of the parking lot in your hands and demand a reimbursement but chances are, they won't play ball, then you could take them to small claims court but would it be worth it at the end? Up to one's principles I guess.

Also, $300 does sound a lot unless you let the car sit in their yard for more than a day. Oh, as a former Californian, I sincerely suggest you stop mentioning CA in your comparisons/comments because you won't get much sympathy from those who are in love with AZ (no pun intended, just stating a fact).

Bottom line, if you are at fault, you pay the price for your mistake wherever you committed it but if you think the charges were unfair, no one will stop you fighting it.
Don't let such a 'trivial' incident to influence your judgement about a city so easily though.

Take care!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 20,952 times
I don't think i have enough time or space to list all the reasons i hate this place. Almost a year round motorcycle riding season? whats with that! With a little bit of creativity the most remote places become an exciting adventure. What with that! I need to be spoon fed generic unoriginal consumer entertainment. I filled up my motorcycle the other day, 4 gallons, 12 bucks for premium. I'm never going to spend my disposable income like that! Oh that reminds me, there are so many good job and affordable places to live i have all this left over money that i don't know what to do with

As far as family life goes. while the education in AZ overall may not be very good, the suburb school districts always have such good records. Gilbert's Highland High was nationally ranked as a top public school for a few years. Thats so lame, all because of that, i didn't get my dream job digging ditches, so now im stuck with a high paying job at a good company (godaddy.com)

Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrex View Post
I don't think i have enough time or space to list all the reasons i hate this place. Almost a year round motorcycle riding season? whats with that! With a little bit of creativity the most remote places become an exciting adventure. What with that! I need to be spoon fed generic unoriginal consumer entertainment. I filled up my motorcycle the other day, 4 gallons, 12 bucks for premium. I'm never going to spend my disposable income like that! Oh that reminds me, there are so many good job and affordable places to live i have all this left over money that i don't know what to do with

As far as family life goes. while the education in AZ overall may not be very good, the suburb school districts always have such good records. Gilbert's Highland High was nationally ranked as a top public school for a few years. Thats so lame, all because of that, i didn't get my dream job digging ditches, so now im stuck with a high paying job at a good company (godaddy.com)
Priceless: you had me going there for a while! ()
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area