Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It is only too "hot" for most people in Jul and Aug, but you can just go into the air conditioning or jump in the pool, or go to a water park, or drive 45 minutes, or etc etc and on and on. In the winter in the midwest you can't do much outside that would "warm you up." You can't drive 45 minutes and be in a totally different climate and in a seemingly different season. But for 9 months out of the year in Phoenix, it is a perfect medium and we can see the seasonal change all around us and in every direction in the state! Another 1 straddling the summer it is a transition period. Warm and "hot" days with beautiful nights. We're are nearing the transition period again here in Aug...people will soon stop complaining...it is always funny.
So true on the driving to change temps I tell you...I love going out at night and sitting (RV park yuk for now) but love going out and sitting with a drink or whatever, or to the pool and no bugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
LOL, you only have to do this if you live in a newly "churned" area on the outskirts of the city, in a new suburb, camping in the desert, hiking in the wilderness, etc etc. However, black widows and scorpions are common in California, in the valleys, and even in the city as well; not so much scorpions but other critters that lurk near grassy, watery, and thick shrubs as well. Scorpions don't lurk in bed sheets, bath towels, clothes, and very rarely find their way into shoes, LOL! Clothing and towels??? LOL However, while L.A. has the country's worst traffic, Phoenix has the country's 16th worst traffic and is the 12th largest metro area...traffic in L.A. makes Phoenix feel like anchorage.
I just can't agree on this one hon, there are plenty of people with scorpion that don't live in the wilderness, outskirts in AZ. Plus, bark scorpions live here, in AZ, not in CA. Other varieties do live there but are not as poisonous.
The best place to find a scorp. is in your shoe, under a moist towel, or in your bed. They often seek refuse in these places, so it is quite an irritation to people who have them and I think they would choose a snowy winter over a scorpion problem much of the time.

On living with scorpions: FAQs « small change mom

That said, you can try your best to find a house without them. Call a pest control guy and pay him to investigate your soon to be property first, before you rent or buy it. They can also tell you the zip codes that have the most issues with them, so you can look else where.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I just can't agree on this one hon, there are plenty of people with scorpion that don't live in the wilderness, outskirts in AZ. Plus, bark scorpions live here, in AZ, not in CA. Other varieties do live there but are not as poisonous.
The best place to find a scorp. is in your shoe, under a moist towel, or in your bed. They often seek refuse in these places, so it is quite an irritation to people who have them and I think they would choose a snowy winter over a scorpion problem much of the time.

That said, you can try your best to find a house without them. Call a pest control guy and pay him to investigate your soon to be property first, before you rent or buy it. They can also tell you the zip codes that have the most issues with them, so you can look else where.
We have been here 2 weeks now living in an RV park, so I think if a scorpion problem, we should have seen them. The dogs even haven't found any...I do believe I had more in WY than here, unless Casa Grande has been vaccinated. I wouldn't leave my shoes outside regardless, have seen some ugly beetles at night in the light. I don't leave wet towels on the floor or ground...they can hang on the shower door to dry or go straight to the laundry. Scorpions on the bed...unless drying your sheets outside (the reason I found one in my bed in WY) , I am not sure how they get there or won't think about it as if crawling on me...

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-26-2009 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Hubby did tell me when trimming palms years ago, they would be in the fronds (bark or old ones I think) and come out...

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
We have been here 2 weeks now living in an RV park, so I think if a scorpion problem, we should have seen them. The dogs even haven't found any...I do believe I had more in WY than here, unless Casa Grande has been vaccinated. I wouldn't leave my shoes outside regardless, have seen some ugly beetles at night in the light. I don't leave wet towels on the floor or ground...they can hang on the shower door to dry or go straight to the laundry. Scorpions on the bed...unless drying your sheets outside (the reason I found one in my bed in WY) , I am not sure how they get there or won't think about it as if crawling on me...
LOL, ha, well, don't think about it, I'm sure yo would have noticed by now.
The scorpions people are worried about here are a certain kind called the "bark scorpion" their sting is worse than most others and can send some people to the hospital, especially babies or young kids.
Where is stevo when you need him, lol.

I don't think people would throw such a fuss over a regular old scorpion, ours are different. They are really small, and a pain in the patootie! I have seen some large ones, vinagaroons?, in San Diego, but their sting is harmless and they don't sting very much anyway. It was outside, which they usually are.

They get into beds from the floor if bedding is touching it, or climbing up wooden bed posts or from the ceiling, dropping down on your bed. They like to come out of air conditioning vent. I don't think a RV would be the same thing as a home.

I have had and do have plenty of friends with Scorpion issues and it really isn't a walk in the park. It's a pain, especially when you have kids. But, on that note some people don't mind them, their shoe is their best friend, and a black light.
So, again, no worries for you.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
LOL, just trying to play match maker...but not sure...there might be some second city envy or a building height envy issue on the opposite end...
Sorry bub, married.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
In the winter in the midwest you can't do much outside that would "warm you up."
Its called, uh, clothes.

And you'd be surprised how sweaty you get when youre doing a strenuous outdoor activity in the middle of winter.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its called, uh, clothes.

And you'd be surprised how sweaty you get when youre doing a strenuous outdoor activity in the middle of winter.
Yeah but how gross is that? I know how hot and sweaty my underarms and chest and whatnot can get during shoveling, but then you just feel gross when you come back inside.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post

Sorry honey, but you'd be wrong about bark scorpions in SoCal and in the L.A. area. Remember, Los Angeles basin wasn't always green like today. It actually was rather dry and dusty.

Quote:
Range

The bark scorpion occurs from southern California through southern Arizona into western New Mexico; and in adjacent Mexico (Baja California, Sonora, and Chihuahua).
Bark Scorpion Fact Sheet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area