U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM

22,819 posts, read 14,139,497 times
Question smoke in the night air

What is with the smoky smell in the air at night? Itís been happening the last 3 or 4 nights now and I havenít heard of any fires in Phoenix or near the valley. Why only at night? Iíve not heard anything on the news as well. Very strange, anyone got an answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-10-2007, 12:50 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,479,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What is with the smoky smell in the air at night? Itís been happening the last 3 or 4 nights now and I havenít heard of any fires in Phoenix or near the valley. Why only at night? Iíve not heard anything on the news as well. Very strange, anyone got an answer?
Sorry, my fault. It's been so nice the last few evenings I've been going out on the patio to smoke. I really need to quit.

Unread 04-10-2007, 02:28 AM

9 posts, read 46,802 times
i was just talking with my husband about this.....
the first night i thought it was a house fire..
its not a good barbie que or fire place smell at all
it comes into our house in central phoenix
last night driving home i could smell it 2 miles from home
i expected to see something on the news as well
in fact i checked azcentral to see if it was the preserve behind us

Unread 04-10-2007, 01:06 PM

5 posts
I live out in Goodyear, and I didn't smell it last night, but my husband and I smelled it two nights ago (Sunday), really strong during the evening and night. It smelled like burnt leaves to us.

Unread 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM

22,819 posts, read 14,139,497 times
It started up again this evening about 8pm with the winds coming out of the west. Iím in north central phoenix. Gets almost bad enough to close the windows up. This is the time of year to smell blossoms not smoke.

Unread 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,900,470 times
I actually heard about something similar on the news tonight.

There is a fire burning out at MC85 & Cotton Lane. Wood chips. Its been burning since saturday.. and they're just letting it burn out.

The county's been getting quite a few calls about it I guess.. So.. this might explain things.

Unread 08-03-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,790 times
Default Smoke smell in Phoenix

My wife and I started smelling what smelled like someone smoking cheap pot outside. We thought maybe it was our neighbor but then I was a couple miles from our house and I smelled it again but stronger, so I didn't think it was our neighbor anymore. I have been smelling for about 3 days now. Could it be from the fires in California? I don't know but it sucks.

Unread 08-04-2008, 08:04 AM

1,170 posts, read 2,207,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Sorry, my fault. It's been so nice the last few evenings I've been going out on the patio to smoke. I really need to quit.
my question is what you been smoking?

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 588 times
Every night... I get off work at 10:30 and I cannot believe how hazy Phoenix is going towards East Valley for the past week. Nothing on the news about it either. Have you found any other information? What is this... An Unidentified Smoky Object? USO?

Unread 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

312 posts, read 145,459 times
Yes, it's that fire in south Phoenix that's been burning non stop for the past 6 years...fire dept gave up on trying to put it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area