U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM

611 posts, read 1,325,207 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in July and bringing my family in August. How likely would a landlord be willing to sign a 6 month lease on a rental vs a year lease. I don't want to be tied down longer than that as I want to buy a house and believe January a good time to start looking. I will be working in Sun City at Boswell and need an area with a decent elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM

8,626 posts, read 10,896,817 times
You might want to check with a few rental agents. We know of a couple of homes here in Vistancia that were 6 month rentals.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM

403 posts, read 761,476 times
They are out there, but I have found they are hard to come by. Definitely hire a buyer's agent that can help you find a rental, it will save you a lot of time and hassle. If you need a referral, I would be happy to send you contact info for someone in that area.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:53 PM

45 posts, read 94,791 times
I used a buyer's agent to get my first rental in Phoenix in 2006. I completed the entire transaction by phone and e-mail. It was not a pleasant experience because the owner had never had tenants and did not understand his responsibility to ensure that the premises were move-in ready.

If you use a buyer's agent, make sure they visit the property prior to making any deposits. Right now, there are so many rentals here that landlords are willing to make concessions to get renters who have stable incomes and good credit histories.

IMHO, I would stick to rentals that use a professional property management firm and make inquiries to determine if there is any risk that the property might go into foreclosure.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM

93 posts, read 167,655 times
In Surprise there are currently 5 4 bedrooms and 5 5 bedrooms. Several 3 bedrooms.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM

12,155 posts, read 10,767,232 times
Would Extended Stay in Peoria work for you?

Extended Stay America Efficiency Studios - Check accommodations for the Phoenix area for hotels

Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM

26 posts, read 63,377 times
My family and I are moving in 3 weeks from NY to Gilbert. I was out house hunting in mid-May and found multiple places willing to do 6 months.

In the end, we went with a house that is month-to-month. If you have good credit, are a clean tenant, and have a good job, it shouldn't be a problem. Just ask, it can't hurt.

We had to pay $0 for a security deposit, and although we won't be moving in until July 1, we don't have to pay any June rent. We also have no cleaning deposit. The house is newish (2007) and we are happy with it.

I feel that landlords are looking for clean tenants that aren't sketchy and won't trash the place. If you have those things going for you it shouldn't be difficult.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 12,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGavinC View Post
My family and I are moving in 3 weeks from NY to Gilbert. I was out house hunting in mid-May and found multiple places willing to do 6 months.

In the end, we went with a house that is month-to-month. If you have good credit, are a clean tenant, and have a good job, it shouldn't be a problem. Just ask, it can't hurt.

We had to pay $0 for a security deposit, and although we won't be moving in until July 1, we don't have to pay any June rent. We also have no cleaning deposit. The house is newish (2007) and we are happy with it.

I feel that landlords are looking for clean tenants that aren't sketchy and won't trash the place. If you have those things going for you it shouldn't be difficult.

Did you use anyone from an agency to help you find your rental house? We are looking to do just this, rent hopefully month to month or 6 month lease, and start house hunting next year. This will give us time to get to know the area we want to buy in.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,282,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
I will be moving in July and bringing my family in August. How likely would a landlord be willing to sign a 6 month lease on a rental vs a year lease. I don't want to be tied down longer than that as I want to buy a house and believe January a good time to start looking. I will be working in Sun City at Boswell and need an area with a decent elementary school.
We did a 6 month lease when we first came back last year. They wanted to do a 12 month but they did a 6. We also asked a few other properties that same question and we found most were willing.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 PM

13 posts, read 19,667 times
What are you wanting to spend? Is Sonoran Foothills too far for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area