U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 AM

3,259 posts, read 5,958,875 times
That AJs is going to be TINY at about 9,000 sq ft. and I believe on 2 floors, which will make it seem even smaller. Plus part of it will be a cafe. I don't think it is meant for all of your grocery needs.

A typical Walgreens store is 14,500 ft with 11,000 of sales area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 AM

3,995 posts, read 6,072,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
But why are they targeting that demographic since downtown is going to have a lot of students from ASU living there. I understand the appeal of AJ's but I also know they are strategically placed in affluent areas for those who want to shop for specialty items. Why it would be placed in downtown among a student population who require staple products. If I'm someone living in downtown, I would probably shop at AJ's for certain things like prepared meals, wine and some small items (desert, potluck things) but for my staples, I would drive to Fryes or another store.
I think they are targeting this demographic because most of the population downtown currently is made of of those individuals in expensive apartments, condos, and historic homes. There aren't too many students living downtown yet and the downtown market is fairly cheap. Also, many students have disposable income and can afford to shop at AJ's...not all but a good number. I think most people like myself will split shopping between AJ's and the downtown market.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
That AJs is going to be TINY at about 9,000 sq ft. and I believe on 2 floors, which will make it seem even smaller. Plus part of it will be a cafe. I don't think it is meant for all of your grocery needs.

A typical Walgreens store is 14,500 ft with 11,000 of sales area.
True, I think what the theme here is, is urban and high density type shopping. If you have been to other cities, most people shop at multiple markets and don't stock up in shopping carts. Many people buy a couple or a few bags of food at a time.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 AM

9,011 posts, read 9,437,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think they are targeting this demographic because most of the population downtown currently is made of of those individuals in expensive apartments, condos, and historic homes. There aren't too many students living downtown yet and the downtown market is fairly cheap. Also, many students have disposable income and can afford to shop at AJ's...not all but a good number. I think most people like myself will split shopping between AJ's and the downtown market.
I can also see people willing to go there and buy water or other items if they are on their way to a ballgame. Right now, I know people who will stop at the safeway at 7th street and McDowell to buy pre-game beverages and other items before they drive to the ballparks. So they coul attract a wider demographic.

The other thing that makes this nice is it does it elevate the area. A.J.'s is usually seen in affluent areas and when you see one, you usually judge the area as being nicer because they are not everwhere. I think that could lure other high end stores and restaurants with its presence which would be great for downtown.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I can also see people willing to go there and buy water or other items if they are on their way to a ballgame. Right now, I know people who will stop at the safeway at 7th street and McDowell to buy pre-game beverages and other items before they drive to the ballparks. So they coul attract a wider demographic.

The other thing that makes this nice is it does it elevate the area. A.J.'s is usually seen in affluent areas and when you see one, you usually judge the area as being nicer because they are not everwhere. I think that could lure other high end stores and restaurants with its presence which would be great for downtown.
True, they already have a PF Chang's spin off for CityScape which will feature an even higher end variety of the brand. I know Urban Outfitters will have a store there as well. There is a list of retailers opening up. I will find it and post it when I get a hold of it.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM

PF Changs, or the higher end spin off has pulled out of the project. A new steakhouse concept is taking its place. Urban Outfitters, CVS, and Golds Gym are still in.

Also, word is that the condos are being scrapped in favor of office space in the 2nd tower which will be around 20 stories...10 office above 10 hotel.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
True, they already have a PF Chang's spin off for CityScape which will feature an even higher end variety of the brand. I know Urban Outfitters will have a store there as well. There is a list of retailers opening up. I will find it and post it when I get a hold of it.
I didn't know about the Urban Outfitters going up there. That's kind of exciting.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I didn't know about the Urban Outfitters going up there. That's kind of exciting.
Yea, some actual retail in downtown, imagine that!

I know Arizona Center has a few stores, but the layout of the place is way anti-downtown that it doesn't even feel like you're in downtown when in that place, too much like an outdoor mall. I want some street facing retail that you can actually do some strolling by and window shop, like in normal downtowns.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Yea, some actual retail in downtown, imagine that!

I know Arizona Center has a few stores, but the layout of the place is way anti-downtown that it doesn't even feel like you're in downtown when in that place, too much like an outdoor mall. I want some street facing retail that you can actually do some strolling by and window shop, like in normal downtowns.
It's that street facing retail which is much desired. As you mentioned, the Arizona Center has always had stores but it's not the same and Urban Outfitters is nicer than most of the stores in the Arizona Center.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
PF Changs, or the higher end spin off has pulled out of the project. A new steakhouse concept is taking its place. Urban Outfitters, CVS, and Golds Gym are still in.

Also, word is that the condos are being scrapped in favor of office space in the 2nd tower which will be around 20 stories...10 office above 10 hotel.
It is a three block project. The first phase will take care of two city blocks. The first tower will be 27 stories tall and is an office tower. The second tower will be 34 stories tall and will include the Hotel Palomar and condos/apartments. The other block which was the former Patriot's Square Park will be a 6-10 story retail/apartment complex which will house the AJ's and Gold's Gym. PF Chang's will still be a part of the project later down the road but a new Fox Restaurant concept will take the place of where PF was originally planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area