Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,936,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Kantak, Osso plan ambitious downtown project

1 comment by Howard Seftel - Jun. 9, 2009 09:45 AM
Republic Restaurant Critic

At a time when the recession is taking a toll on Valley restaurants, a hugely ambitious dining project is coming to downtown Phoenix.

Two acclaimed Scottsdale chefs have finalized a deal for a five-restaurant complex.

Bernie Kantak, who for a decade has kept Cowboy Ciao in the foodie spotlight, and Gio Osso, who headed the fine-dining Estate House, will house their one-of-a-kind restaurants at 246 S. First St., on the northwestern corner of Jackson Street.

Why downtown? They're attracted by lower rents - about half of what they'd pay in Old Town Scottsdale, Osso says - as well as the belief that the area is poised to flourish when the economy turns around.

For more than two decades, Phoenix has been trying to get real nightlife in the heart of the city, and a critical restaurant mass may finally be developing.

Kantak and Osso join two other high-profile chefs who have recently located downtown. Wade Moises left Sassi, a high-end Scottsdale Italian restaurant, to open the Pasta Bar, and Matt Carter (Zinc Bistro, the Mission), is widening his scope with Nine05, a modern Asian restaurant, and Canteen, a gastropub.

The partners, whose restaurants target a variety of tastes and budgets, are aiming to open all their doors by the end of the year.

Here's the line-up for Jackson Street:

Restaurant 1: It will be a less-pricey version of Cowboy Ciao, showcasing eclectic fare with a Southwestern accent.

Restaurant 2: Set up in a separate bar area inside Restaurant 1, this down-home spot will offer Southern-comfort fare like barbecue and fried chicken.

Restaurant 3: Look for an a la carte menu focusing on higher-end beef and seafood at this Italian steakhouse.

Restaurant 4: Kantak says this rooftop patio will provide a stunning view of downtown Phoenix. Meanwhile, the vibe will be Latin American, with the spotlight on cocktails, ceviche and tapas.

Restaurant 5: This basement wine bar, hewed out of river rock, will concentrate on nibbles and drinks. You can expect to enter via a sort of "secret" passageway, perhaps a phony phone booth.

After a spate of closings, it's refreshing to see such an ambitious project for downtown. The casualty list includes some of the liveliest, most established independent venues whose demise is shocking dining experts. Since the end of the year, at least 50 Valley restaurants - and counting - have closed. Among recent downtown closings were Palatte, Café Labella, Fate and Sweet Pea Bakery.

On the other hand, several more restaurants have opened downtown, including Vinery Two Fourteen, 214 W. Roosevelt St.; Hanny's, 40 N. First St.; and Pasta Bar, Sens Asian Tapas and Sake Bar and Turf Restaurant, all in the same building at 705 N. First St.
And while the article says a few restaurants have closed, which is true, it forgets to mentioned that the spots have already been filled with something new or that some didn't really close, but sold to others that changed the name/altered the menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
This is exciting and I don't blame some of the restaurants for failing. For example, Fate was a great restaurant but it's location was strange. It wasn't in walking distance from anything and it was near the I-10 exit so there wasn't anything exciting around it. Everyone drove by it and said: "Hey that's exciting but I'm already on my way home, too bad it wasn't near Amare's or other areas of downtown where other restaraunts were nearby. These restaurants have to be located intelligently where they are next to one another and must be walkable. This project meets that and it's why it has a strong chance of succeeding. Very excited

Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,936,320 times
Well, FATE is the restaurant I was actually talking about. Jonny Chu, the former owners, actually sold it to Matt Carter (mentioned in the article) which renamed it to Nine05...its the same house that FATE was in. I haven't actually been since the transition, but I understand it has a lot of the same stuff FATE was serving plus some new spinoffs.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Well, FATE is the restaurant I was actually talking about. Jonny Chu, the former owners, actually sold it to Matt Carter (mentioned in the article) which renamed it to Nine05...its the same house that FATE was in. I haven't actually been since the transition, but I understand it has a lot of the same stuff FATE was serving plus some new spinoffs.
Yeah, the restaurant is great. I just don't like the location because it's in this no man's land area. Sure, it's not a bad drive but it's such a nice and trendy restaurant that it was be more fun if it was located near the ball parks or around other attractions. Still, I'm sure the area around it will develop.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
I'm glad the Diamondbacks have the early starts on Saturdays....gives us time to hang out downtown for a while after the ballgame.

Even the "priciest" bars and restaurants don't charge ten bucks for a beer.

The Sake Bar and Turf Restaurant is next on my list.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
A vibrant downtown benefits everyone...

Old 06-09-2009, 04:05 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,013,633 times
Very true, Turf is a cool Irish pub/restaurant I really enjoyed it. I love the ambiance at Pasta Bar as well. Haven't tried Sans yet but will soon. Same for the restaurant that took over Fate. Also, Nine05 (formerly Fate) is in a great location that will be continuing to grow. It is near apartments/condos/neighborhoods that flank it on each direction and not to mention only three-four blocks from the light rail stop at Central and Roosevelt.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Also, Nine05 (formerly Fate) is in a great location that will be continuing to grow. It is near apartments/condos/neighborhoods that flank it on each direction and not to mention only three-four blocks from the light rail stop at Central and Roosevelt.
That is relative. I suppose if you live in one of those apartments or condos, it's a great location. If you are like most people who commute to downtown for a big event such as a ball game or a convention, it's not in a good location because it's not in walking distance from those venues. As a Suns season ticket holder, my wife and I are always trying to find new restaurants and lounges to sample in downtown prior to or immediately following a game. We often go with a large group of friends. We have been to Fate but it's rather far and many people simply opt for places like Sam's Cafe instead. If I was living in downtown, I would probably feel differently because I would likely live closer to it. Nonetheless, I'm sure the area around it will continue to develop but as of now, it's pretty isolated.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-09-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,013,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That is relative. I suppose if you live in one of those apartments or condos, it's a great location. If you are like most people who commute to downtown for a big event such as a ball game or a convention, it's not in a good location because it's not in walking distance from those venues. As a Suns season ticket holder, my wife and I are always trying to find new restaurants and lounges to sample in downtown prior to or immediately following a game. We often go with a large group of friends. We have been to Fate but it's rather far and many people simply opt for places like Sam's Cafe instead. If I was living in downtown, I would probably feel differently because I would likely live closer to it. Nonetheless, I'm sure the area around it will continue to develop but as of now, it's pretty isolated.
I can see your situation, however, this restaurant and others on Roosevelt Row or near it like Carly's Bistro, Roosevelt Tavern, even Cibo, and the former Palatte were more about community and the scene then luring the casual downtown Phoenix sports fan. Fate was always packed and I don't think the original owner sold because of lack of clientèle. And not to sound like I am always arguing, LOL, cause it does some times, but Roosevelt really is in walking distance to Jefferson...it is less than a mile and in urban downtown pedestrian terms, very much walkable (about 10-12 blocks). In Phoenix suburban motorist, drive two blocks to the gas station or Wal-Mart mindset I can see it as a "problem." But honestly, I don't drive to the games from my neighborhood. I walk or ride the train from the Roosevelt neighborhood (roughly 3rd Ave and Portland) to the "Row" or U.S. Airways Center/Chase Field.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-09-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I can see your situation, however, this restaurant and others on Roosevelt Row or near it like Carly's Bistro, Roosevelt Tavern, even Cibo, and the former Palatte were more about community and the scene then luring the casual downtown Phoenix sports fan. Fate was always packed and I don't think the original owner sold because of lack of clientèle. And not to sound like I am always arguing, LOL, cause it does some times, but Roosevelt really is in walking distance to Jefferson...it is less than a mile and in urban downtown pedestrian terms, very much walkable (about 10-12 blocks). In Phoenix suburban motorist, drive two blocks to the gas station or Wal-Mart mindset I can see it as a "problem." But honestly, I don't drive to the games from my neighborhood. I walk or ride the train from the Roosevelt neighborhood (roughly 3rd Ave and Portland) to the "Row" or U.S. Airways Center/Chase Field.
You and I both could be accused of arguing too much. You are not arguing my friend and I agree with you. I see your perspective as well because of the lot of the housing and community in downtown is near there. And you are right about Fate, it's location didn't bother people, I think it was the poor service (namely the owner's wife), the smaller portions and the overall decline in food quality that kind of put people off. I loved that place though and it was a great place for drinks and appetizers. We stopped going there because it's one of those places that you want to stop and have drinks and appetizers and then walk around. I love Cibo but unlike Fate I can spend my entire evening at Cibo because it's patio is open and their wine and ambience is very relaxed. I'm just excited for downtown. In terms of walking far, it's not about the Phoenix mentality but the time constraint. By the time you park, you don't have much time before the game so you want something conveniently located near the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: