Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM

20 posts, read 63,165 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Scottsdale and are looking for a good dog groomer. We have a golden retriever and would prefer not to have her kenneled for a long period of time. We have tried PetSmart and they had her kenneled for over 4 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
I take my dog to Angie at the Grayhawk Animal Hospital. Usually takes a few hours, so I'm guessing two hours kenneled, or so.

The Animal Hospital at Grayhawk - Boarding and Grooming Services

Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
If you prefer not to have your dog kenneled at all, you should try a mobile groomer who will come to your place and room the dog in the "mobile grooming unit." You can also keep an eye on the groomer this way to see how your golden reacts with the groomer and how well the groomer handles your dog.

Canine Express Mobile Grooming

Aussie Pet Mobile Grooming of Scottsdale
mobile groomer in scottsdale - Google Maps

Paws 4A Moment
mobile groomer in scottsdale - Google Maps

Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 AM

45 posts, read 140,130 times
Mobile groomers are REALLY EXPENSIVE. I take my dogs to the Raintree Pet Resort or to their vet.

If you don't mind the drive, I would recommend taking your dog to Smelly Dog on 7th Ave (North of Camelback), smellydogaz.com. You can wash the dog yourself or they will do it for you. They are very accomodating with different schedules. Their prices are very reasonable.

I also spoke with a dog groomer who is located at Scottsdale/Shea across from Salon Sandoval. She was willing to schedule my dog's grooming at the same time I was getting my haircut. I ended up using Smelly Dog, though.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkalit View Post
Mobile groomers are REALLY EXPENSIVE. I take my dogs to the Raintree Pet Resort or to their vet.

If you don't mind the drive, I would recommend taking your dog to Smelly Dog on 7th Ave (North of Camelback), smellydogaz.com. You can wash the dog yourself or they will do it for you. They are very accomodating with different schedules. Their prices are very reasonable.

I also spoke with a dog groomer who is located at Scottsdale/Shea across from Salon Sandoval. She was willing to schedule my dog's grooming at the same time I was getting my haircut. I ended up using Smelly Dog, though.
Depends on what you are looking for, I don't consider mobile groomers expensive for the service they offer. They are cage-less, no exposure to other dogs at time of cleaning, they dedicate an hour to YOUR dog only, saves you a to and from trip to the groomer, and you can "keep an eye" on the process to ensure your pet receives proper care and attention. I've seen groomer at shops and on location become frustrated with multiple dogs and treat them a little rough. Usually mobile groomer charge between 25-75 dollars depending on type of dog, size, and coat. My chihuahua costs me $25 a month but my German Shepherd is $70 because I like her coat treated, dipped, and de-shed every month.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
wow I did not know about Smelly dog..thanks for sharing that info.I will be taking my dog this weekend..Thanks!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Depends on what you are looking for, I don't consider mobile groomers expensive for the service they offer. They are cage-less, no exposure to other dogs at time of cleaning, they dedicate an hour to YOUR dog only, saves you a to and from trip to the groomer, and you can "keep an eye" on the process to ensure your pet receives proper care and attention. I've seen groomer at shops and on location become frustrated with multiple dogs and treat them a little rough. Usually mobile groomer charge between 25-75 dollars depending on type of dog, size, and coat. My chihuahua costs me $25 a month but my German Shepherd is $70 because I like her coat treated, dipped, and de-shed every month.
You get a Chihuahua groomed every month? I can understand the shepherd, although once a month is a lot for any dog, because their coats are problematic. Is your Chi a longhair (even a longhair doesn't have much coat).

I didn't use a mobile groomer when I had a dog, but I can surely see the advantages, even for a slightly higher price. An old friend of mine was mobile grooming 20 years ago, she may still be.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You get a Chihuahua groomed every month? I can understand the shepherd, although once a month is a lot for any dog, because their coats are problematic. Is your Chi a longhair (even a longhair doesn't have much coat).

I didn't use a mobile groomer when I had a dog, but I can surely see the advantages, even for a slightly higher price. An old friend of mine was mobile grooming 20 years ago, she may still be.
LOL no long hair, I guess that is just my "prima donna" side. You know watch football, get some beers with the boys, match my shoes to my man-bag, and get my "puppies" prettied up! LOL

He gets nails trimmed, teeth cleaned, breath freshened, ears cleaned, a deep conditioning rinse, his behind glands drained , eye buggers cleaned and "eye stains" removed, and a light cologne treatment! Hello, he needs his massage too observer!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,905 times
A tad off topic, but don't bother to pay extra for teeth cleaning services offered by groomers. I've been a groomer of almost 20 years, with a lengthy vet tech background that has never advocated my clients use this service. I've seen more harm than good occur in a few instances.

There are pet owners who believe a basic brushing by a groomer will suffice over cleanings done by a veterinarian. It doesn't, and if anything gives many a false sense of security. A groomer friend of mine who worked for Petsmart told me they used a finger brush for no more than 30 seconds, basically just playing with the pet's mouths. I think she said they charged clients $15.00 for this bogus service. Even she acknowledged it was pretty worthless.

Brushing does nothing to address thickened plaque, nor can the inside surfaces of the teeth be effectively reached. Allowed to fester, plaque and tartar buildup is often dangerous to a pets health. If brushing causes bacteria to be released in a pet's mouth, the results can be deadly. Much like humans, some pets must receive antibiotics prior to a thorough teeth cleaning. If your pet's teeth have tartar buildup, redness of the gums, or smelly breath, please see your vet first. They will also assess if extractions are needed. Please also be wary of groomers who do "internal" anal gland expression. You're better off leaving this specialized technique to your vet. Done improperly, anal glands are prone to impaction or infection. My general rule is this: If he's scooting or licking at his behind, express glands. If not, leave them alone. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area