U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,613,266 times
Default Where to buy Wild Salmon in Phoenix?

Does anyone have good reccomendations on where to buy Wild Salmon here in the Phoenix area? I'm looking for fresh Wild Salmon. Please list stores you have bought from. How much is it a pound?
Is frozen Wild Salmon good for you or no?
I know farmed Salmon is not good for you- I won't buy it anymore.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM

131 posts, read 358,974 times
As long as look at the label, Whole Foods Markets usually have decent Wild fish. be careful though because you may think it's healthy because they will say it's organic, but it will still be farm raised and can still contain plenty of diseases or bacteria.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM

893 posts, read 964,314 times
walmart

Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 AM

680 posts, read 1,681,451 times
Trader Joe's has frozen wild salmon. Also, Costco and Sams Club have frozen wild salmon. Frozen wild salmon is just as good for you as fresh salmon.

Some of the other grocerry stores, such as AJ's, Bashas, Frys and Walmart have it fresh, especially during the salmon run season in Alaska, which goes for most of the summer.

Farmed salmon is worthless and I never buy it.

altus2006

Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,613,266 times
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Keep them coming as I can use all the advice I can get.

altus2006,
Thanks, I knew Costco carried frozen farmed salmon but I didn't know they carried frozen wild salmon.
I suppose they probably carry fresh wild salmon as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM

893 posts, read 964,314 times
I would think there would be a fish market close.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 AM

16,433 posts, read 19,321,679 times
Good for you (maybe), but bad for planet earth. Salmon is declining from over-fishing and habitat loss. Don't eat it or buy farmed.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,230,473 times
My ex Girlfriend was an awesome seafood cook (now hires cooks for her and her kids). She liked Costco's Salmon. She also liked the Asian market at the Chinese Cultural Center on 44th st to buy fish from. We'd usually eat Salmon or Tilapia though. She taught me how to prepare Tilapia but I forgot about that over the years...

Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Good for you (maybe), but bad for planet earth. Salmon is declining from over-fishing and habitat loss. Don't eat it or buy farmed.

Farmed salmon is worthless and should be avoided. It is fed fish food like corn, wheat, soybean meal, cow meal and other garbage that a fish never eats.

One of the purposes of eating salmon is to get the omega-3 oil which is very heart healthy. Farmed salmon does not have this because it does not eat the plant foods in the open ocean that the wild eat to make the omega-3's.

The Alaska salmon industry has tons of hatcheries that release salmon into the open ocean and the risk of salmon disappearing is rather remote.

altus2006

Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies.
Keep them coming as I can use all the advice I can get.

altus2006,
Thanks, I knew Costco carried frozen farmed salmon but I didn't know they carried frozen wild salmon.
I suppose they probably carry fresh wild salmon as well.

Costco and Sams Club have both types. I always buy the boxes which have "Wild" written on the front of the boxes. They are in a marinade which is quite tasty. They come with 6 salmon fillets per box.

I have never seen fresh wild salmon in either store, but I may have just missed it. I know both places have fresh farmed salmon.

Recently I also bought wild canned salmon in Costco which was boned and skinned. It is also very good.

altus2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area