U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

6,153 posts, read 6,698,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They are messy looking (Charlotte would NOT be impressed). The spiders do come out at night, so the flashlight thing does work. Keeping things cleaned up and corners swept, etc, helps. If there are a lot of them this year, our mild winter is partly to blame. If we get a good freeze, that will kill some of them -- that didn't happen, so here we are.
'Lil beoootches. We kill 'em as we sees 'em....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM

2,989 posts, read 2,941,044 times
We had a bunch until we hired an exterminator and have not seen one in the last year.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,709,173 times
I do not understand the point of this thread? Are you saying you are a psycho killer of arachnids, or what? That is sure what it looks like. Spiders are good. They were put on here for a reason. Cockroaches, on the other hand, are bad. They carry disease unlike spiders. Spiders eat the roaches, and other bad bugs. My mother taught me that when I was young. She would always say "do not hurt the spiders" In retrospect, she was right. Pretty soon, your house will be roach infested. However, from reading this thread, that is what you want considering your reckless actions.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 PM

1,174 posts, read 915,046 times
LV, YAZ made this thread to see if anyone knew how to get rid of Black Widows. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want black widows in your house. I'm not saying that you you should hurt spiders, just maybe the ones that can kill you.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 AM

382 posts, read 852,563 times
The majority of spiders I don't mind. Arizona Brown Spiders and Black Widows must go! I have kids who like to put their little hands in all sorts of odd places, just where the Widows love to hide. Don't have to worry about the Brown Spiders as much, though I have seen one.

We have a problem with the Blacks because a guy across the way has a truck sitting around with a flat tire. There are a ton of webs underneath, and even though I've told him about it, he could care less. So if we aren't diligent in our cleaning, the little buggers will spring up every where. Spraying will work, generally for at least 3 months. However you do end up killing the other crawlers in the area as well.

We had a full grown female right next to our front door. I swear never again.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 AM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

6,153 posts, read 6,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not understand the point of this thread? Are you saying you are a psycho killer of arachnids, or what? That is sure what it looks like. Spiders are good. They were put on here for a reason. Cockroaches, on the other hand, are bad. They carry disease unlike spiders. Spiders eat the roaches, and other bad bugs. My mother taught me that when I was young. She would always say "do not hurt the spiders" In retrospect, she was right. Pretty soon, your house will be roach infested. However, from reading this thread, that is what you want considering your reckless actions.

I s'pose we should let the rattlesnakes hang out on the patio too; wouldn't want rats in the house.....

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM

338 posts, read 990,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

So you're saying don't kill the black widows? Ooooook suit yourself but those beeotches as the OP said die as we see them too! Matter of fact, we just killed one last night. They keep making a web right outside our patio door. I certainly would not call killing black widows a reckless action, it is a necessary action. They are the most venomous spiders in North America. Although their bite is usually not fatal, it is more potent than a rattlesnake bite and it can make you pretty sick and I am not interested in that. My main concern is our very small puppy and 2 small adult dogs. I do not want them to get bit.

We have sprayed our yard really good with insecticide but they still keep coming. We have to knock webs down every day but since we sprayed, there have been less webs. For us, it's a battle but no where near as big of as problem as the scorpions were for us when we lived in North Phoenix.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM

812 posts, read 1,587,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
Your post brought back memories of living in Phoenix! I hated those things! They come out at night, so my mom and I would get a flashlight, bug spray, and a shoe to smack them with in case the bug spray didn't work and check the outside perimeter of the house..................

We would always get a few, or at least the eggs - but doing this seemed to stop them from becoming an indoor problem. I was okay with seeing them outside, but I would freak out if I had one inside!!!

That, and the huge sewer roaches are two things that I definitely don't miss!!
I remember going to my aunt's cottage down Cape Cod in the summer when I was growing up in the Boston area. The widows would live in the trees. My aunt said if you were going to look for them with a flashlight then make sure you have a can of hairspray with you because the light would attract them and yes they literally "flew" at me so I would spray them with the hairspray. It stopped them as long as there was no breeze to carry it off before it hit the spider. They would fall down to the ground and we would step on them. Pretty gross but hey I was a bored kid. Now as an adult I can't even stand looking at them so I don't search them out but boy do my vocal chords get a workout if one gets in the house. And I always have a supply of heavy duty "Aqua Net" on hand.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:42 PM

338 posts, read 990,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I remember going to my aunt's cottage down Cape Cod in the summer when I was growing up in the Boston area. The widows would live in the trees. My aunt said if you were going to look for them with a flashlight then make sure you have a can of hairspray with you because the light would attract them and yes they literally "flew" at me so I would spray them with the hairspray. It stopped them as long as there was no breeze to carry it off before it hit the spider. They would fall down to the ground and we would step on them. Pretty gross but hey I was a bored kid. Now as an adult I can't even stand looking at them so I don't search them out but boy do my vocal chords get a workout if one gets in the house. And I always have a supply of heavy duty "Aqua Net" on hand.

Really? That's creepy. I spent a lot of summers on the cape and never saw any black widows. I would have freaked out if I saw them in the trees. The spider crabs in the ocean were creepy enough.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM

19,528 posts, read 50,882,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They are messy looking (Charlotte would NOT be impressed). The spiders do come out at night, so the flashlight thing does work. Keeping things cleaned up and corners swept, etc, helps. If there are a lot of them this year, our mild winter is partly to blame. If we get a good freeze, that will kill some of them -- that didn't happen, so here we are.
A freeze wont do nothin to em. Theyre very hardy, even ranging up into Michigan and parts of Canada. Southern Illinois is chock full of them, and they freeze often, as does Missouri, Tennessee, New Mexico, Utah, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area