U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 PM

759 posts, read 1,142,616 times

Advertisements

It is ok, but I think it is cruel. My dad installed a misting system for my dog in the back yard years ago when I was still in high school, but it broke my heart to see the dog out there. He was miserable. I will never keep a dog outside. My 2 dogs are members of my family, they sleep on my bed, not in the dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 PM

759 posts, read 1,142,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting question, rrascoe.

Definitely, some dogs seem to prefer the outdoors over being stuck indoors in spite of the booger weather, however, as most have already posted, 110 plus degree heat can be a killer.

Also, depending on the location of your new home, leaving a helpless dog outdoors through the night is sure death. There are lots of critters roaming around after dark searching for dinner.
Not to mention the pests that come out at night. My dog was killed when I was in Korea by a black widow infestation in my dads neighborhood in El Mirage in 2005.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
YAZ

6,187 posts, read 6,823,240 times
We have a somewhat unique situation. One of our spare bedrooms has an arcadia door that leads to the back yard, pool area, etc. We have a pet door that fits the arcadia one.

Now, this is just for the 2 cats, and we keep that bedroom door closed, as I'm allergic to 'em. Wifey's kitties; she had 'em before we were married.

Food and water in the room; litter box outside. I sheet you not. Those cats hang out ALL DAY in the heat, come in to eat and drink. That's it.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 PM

14,259 posts, read 17,883,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We have a somewhat unique situation. One of our spare bedrooms has an arcadia door that leads to the back yard, pool area, etc. We have a pet door that fits the arcadia one.

Now, this is just for the 2 cats, and we keep that bedroom door closed, as I'm allergic to 'em. Wifey's kitties; she had 'em before we were married.

Food and water in the room; litter box outside. I sheet you not. Those cats hang out ALL DAY in the heat, come in to eat and drink. That's it.
Cats do seem to tolerate it better, but even your cats have the choice to come in if they want. That's the way to do it. I, too, have a very heavy duty patio door dog door that served the purpose very well. Don't have a dog now, so the door is blocked off, but it's ready for the next one.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM

3,170 posts, read 5,843,275 times
I wonder how dogs, and humans for that matter, survived before air conditioning.

I have relatives that grew up without air conditioning and they are perfectly ok even in 110 degree summers here in Texas; their pets lived long lives as well. I could not imagine living without a/c, but I am used to it while they were used to living with open windows and hand held fans for climate control. It is just a matter of acclimation and what you are used to. This is the same for the animals, those used to indoors and air conditioning will find AZ summers outdoors deadly, while those accustomed to living in 90 degree AL summers outdoors will quickly become accustomed to the AZ heat and survive nicely, if not exactly comfortable perhaps.

If your dogs are accustomed to living outdoors, then the heat will not be nearly so uncomfortable for them as it would be if they were indoor animals. Just be sure to have plenty of shade and water for them to escape the noontime heat wave. It is definitely cruel to keep an animal outside without adequate shelter from the adverse elements.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM
YAZ

6,187 posts, read 6,823,240 times
We have a well trained dog i.e., he doesn't crap in the house while we're gone for the day. An occasional "accident" is expected once in a while.

Thank goodness for tile.

I think big, older pooches might have more of a problem being outside.

Ours hangs out most of the time with us on the patio.

If you had to keep a dog outside during the summer here, I really think a covered patio, fresh water, and maybe a misting system would work.

Keep in mind, our dog stays in the house all day and I haven't tried the misting thing. No way would I allow our pets to be exposed to the sun all day.

And for goodness sake, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PET IN THE CAR.

Crack the windows? Nope.

Leave the car running with AC on? Are you kidding?

In Phoenix?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 AM

3,995 posts, read 6,312,644 times
The heat thing and exposure is also breed relevant. While my Chihuahua BEGS to be let out even at 3 p.m. during summer afternoons to sunbathe, I kid you not, my German Shepherd will run out to do her business and run back in afterwards. She watches her pal absorb some rays saying to herself..."ugh Mexicans!" LOL, LOL, I kid ; but not really since the Chihuahua is native to the Mexican desert state of Chihuahua after all...not too many deserts in Germany; I'm sure of it! This is all common sense people. Does your dog have long fur, short, course, fine??? How well is your dog able to shed its coat in the summer months? Is the option available to shave your pets coat like many owners of Golden Retrievers opt for during warm and hot months? Common sense! Or one would think...

Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 10,633 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question. I appreciate it. I have never been to AZ, so I really have no idea what the weather is like there. After reading everyone's responses, I will say that my dogs will be moving indoors once we move to AZ. I do have to comment to some responses made on this board. Just because my dogs stay outside, it does not mean that they are neglected. They are big dogs and they enjoy being able to run around outside in our fenced yard. They have adequate shelter and plenty of water. They are a part of our family and we spend time with them every day. Please don't assume things about people that are not true. Try not to be so judgemental.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:29 PM

214 posts, read 856,131 times
When we moved here in 1990 (remember 122f?) we had our dogs outside on the back porch during the day. They were shaded, had a self serve water bowl to the spigot and a floor mount mister that ran daily. They did fine. Later after purchasing a home we installed a dog door and they still chose to spend much of their time outside in the sun. (Pits, go figure)

Old 07-04-2009, 07:53 PM

7,989 posts, read 16,247,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
Not to mention the pests that come out at night. My dog was killed when I was in Korea by a black widow infestation in my dads neighborhood in El Mirage in 2005.
That sucks, Batman.

I was referring to four legged critters and possibly snakes but I guess spiders can be a problem as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area