Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Until last July, Valley cities were among the fastest growing in the country even as the housing bubble was starting to burst, according to estimates released today by the U.S.

Between July 2007 and July 2008, Phoenix's population grew 2.2 percent to 1,567,924, its biggest jump since 2006. It added 33,184 residents last year - more than any other U.S. city except New York, the bureau estimated.

In terms of percentage growth during the same time period, the bureau estimates that Gilbert ranked fourth with a 5 percent gain, or about 10,283 people.

Gilbert grew faster in the past eight years than all U.S. cities except McKinney, Texas. Gilbert nearly doubled its population between 2000 and 2008, adding 99,161 people.

Mesa's population grew by fewer than 4,000. Glendale added only 1,125.
Scottsdale added 2,287, or just less than 1 percent.

Arizona saw its greatest growth this decade between July 2004 and July 2005, according to the data, when the population grew 3.7 percent.

An increase in population doesn't necessarily mean people are moving here, said Bill Schoolings, Arizona's demographer. A portion of the increase can be attributed to more births than deaths - a phenomenon called the net natural increase, he said.

"That's not a huge shift," Schoolings said. "Things are happening as we speak with the economy and with the housing situation and not all of that may be fully reflected in the estimates."The estimates drew skepticism from Jay Butler, director of the at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. Arizona's younger population means more people are having children, and that may be boosting the population more than migration in this recession, he said. "There's a sense that the population count isn't as great as we thought it was going to be," he said. Butler pointed out that some Valley schools aren't as full as predicted, and housing-permit numbers were misleading during the boom.It left the impression that people were moving here, when in reality many of those houses were built by out-of-state investors, Butler said.

U.S. Census Bureau: Valley cities among fastest growing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Until last July, Valley cities were among the fastest growing in the country even as the housing bubble was starting to burst, according to estimates released today by the U.S.

Between July 2007 and July 2008, Phoenix's population grew 2.2 percent to 1,567,924, its biggest jump since 2006. It added 33,184 residents last year - more than any other U.S. city except New York, the bureau estimated.

In terms of percentage growth during the same time period, the bureau estimates that Gilbert ranked fourth with a 5 percent gain, or about 10,283 people.

Gilbert grew faster in the past eight years than all U.S. cities except McKinney, Texas. Gilbert nearly doubled its population between 2000 and 2008, adding 99,161 people.

Arizona saw its greatest growth this decade between July 2004 and July 2005, according to the data, when the population grew 3.7 percent.

An increase in population doesn't necessarily mean people are moving here, said Bill Schoolings, Arizona's demographer. A portion of the increase can be attributed to more births than deaths - a phenomenon called the net natural increase, he said.

"That's not a huge shift," Schoolings said. "Things are happening as we speak with the economy and with the housing situation and not all of that may be fully reflected in the estimates."The estimates drew skepticism from Jay Butler, director of the at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. Arizona's younger population means more people are having children, and that may be boosting the population more than migration in this recession, he said. "There's a sense that the population count isn't as great as we thought it was going to be," he said. Butler pointed out that some Valley schools aren't as full as predicted, and housing-permit numbers were misleading during the boom.It left the impression that people were moving here, when in reality many of those houses were built by out-of-state investors, Butler said.

Yeah but what's the population doing after July '08 since the housing collapse really took hold??????

Seems to me that Suburbs like Maricopa or San Tan would be declining in population now because so many newbies defaulted on loans and vacated when the Banks took over.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Yeah but what's the population doing after July '08 since the housing collapse really took hold??????

Seems to me that Suburbs like Maricopa or San Tan would be declining in population now because so many newbies defaulted on loans and vacated when the Banks took over.
Actually Maricopa and other regions that were slammed by the bust are actually now realizing a "renaissance." Not the golden age of a couple of years back but a still fast, yet steady approach to growth.

Ok for some reason azcentral.com (Arizona Republic) website isn't working, but there was an article within the last week that showed the reversing trends in many hard hit areas. When the site is back up I'll include a link.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Here is that article I was referring to earlier.

Maricopa seeing signs of new beginning

Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Here is that article I was referring to earlier.

Maricopa seeing signs of new beginning
This was a really good article thanks

Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
A similar thread can be found in the San Diego forum about how that city isn't growing as fast as it once did, and will likely be replaced by Dallas as the nation's eighth largest city. Some of the comments echoed my viewpoints exactly ... especially that it should be the QUALITY of people (not so much quantity) that matters.

Although Phoenix has seen dramatic growth during the latter half of the 20th Century, a good share of that growth has been from transplants & retirees seeking a sunny climate & cheaper housing. Cheaper housing tends to attract a cheaper calliber of residents. They're not exactly moving here for the high salaried corporate jobs, or the opportunity to better themselves. The nation's fifth largest city should be more willing to lure in more of the educated types and the corporate executives, instead of those who are just looking for a sunny climate and a cheap place to live.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
A similar thread can be found in the San Diego forum about how that city isn't growing as fast as it once did, and will likely be replaced by Dallas as the nation's eighth largest city. Some of the comments echoed my viewpoints exactly ... especially that it should be the QUALITY of people (not so much quantity) that matters.

Although Phoenix has seen dramatic growth during the latter half of the 20th Century, a good share of that growth has been from transplants & retirees seeking a sunny climate & cheaper housing. Cheaper housing tends to attract a cheaper calliber of residents. They're not exactly moving here for the high salaried corporate jobs, or the opportunity to better themselves. The nation's fifth largest city should be more willing to lure in more of the educated types and the corporate executives, instead of those who are just looking for a sunny climate and a cheap place to live.
I agree and disagree. I agree that we should try to lure more educated types. However, retirees moving to Arizona and Florida are not necessarily seeking cheaper housing and they are not exactly poor people. Phoenix and South Florida don't have cheap housing. There are a lot of other cities that offer cheaper housing and warm weather namely the Southern United States. They come here because the quality of living is nice. They want to play golf, eat at nice restaurants and just enjoy proximity to Las Vegas and Southern California. Most of my patients are retirees and they have a lot of money; trust me, these are not some dumb bumpkins. Many of them are ex-executives who worked at Fortune 500 companies. While I agree many tend to be NIMBYs regardless of their wealth, they do also spend a lot of money and contribute to our economy as well.

Nonetheless, I agree with your overall point. We do need to attract more educated people but unfortunately, that won't happen until we improve our schools both secondary and higher education and attract businesses. And thus far, we don't seem willing to do that. We don't invest in our public schools and we don't employ practices that will attract companies to move here like Texas does aka eliminating the state income tax, tort reform etc. I get annoyed with our people because they want great things are unwilling to take the measures to accomplish them. Just 2 months ago, we had an argument about trade schools. It just shows the mentality of this city. They are happy with schools like the University of Phoenix and Collins College and have no aspiration to create a prestigious academic university with the type of research that will lead to creation of companies and development. Instead, they justify how great ASU is. It's nothing against ASU. I like ASU too but I think we should have more options than just ASU and obviously they disagree.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Ok so does anyone want to buy my house in Gilbert so I can move back to NC.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Ok so does anyone want to buy my house in Gilbert so I can move back to NC.
Talk to the Captain and I don't mean Morgan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area