U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 AM

4,225 posts, read 10,281,943 times

Advertisements

We've only lived in PHX for 4 months and DH's Dad is coming to town next week. Plus, we would like some suggestions for ourselves. Our Chipotle and Ono Hawaiian BBQ diet is wearing thin.

When you suggest a place, keep in mind we live way out in Buckeye and really don't want to travel beyond loop 101 just for a meal! I know there are great restuarants on the East side (all the advertisements we've seen are for restaurants on the East side!) but if you can, please post places that won't take more than 45 min for us to get to! The closer the better!

1. Indian food: We've both been craving it but have no idea where to go. We haven't seen one yet!

2. Hole in the wall: Cheap and good food that you prob won't see big ads for but you know the food is de-lish!

3. Any place actually IN Buckeye? You know, those last minute decisions to eat out but you don't want to go too far (the Sonic in town has gotten waaaay too much business from us!)

4. Anybody heard of Claim Jumper? I was curious when my Dh and I passed by it one day so we checked out the menu online. It looked great! No price tag though - have any idea? Also, how's the food?

5. Cheap authentic Chinese food? No Pei Wei's or Panda's please!

We're open to all types of food. Cheap and good is our motto! I know I know, I live way out in Buckeye so I should just blame myself 'cuz there's not a whole lot out here. *sniff*

Thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 AM

132 posts, read 379,159 times
Well Claim Jumper is a big chain, the prices are a little steep, I would say average around $15 a person. The good thing about it is that they give you enough food to feed a small country. Huge portions and its pretty good, I have only been a few times and the last time was a while ago but those are my experiences.

I really don't know the West Side to well anymore, I think there are a lot of places in Avondale , around the I-10 - Loop 101 interchange. And then in Goodyear off of Dysart Rd and I-10 there was a lot of places, I think there was a Fridays over there which is cheap and good.

I really don't remember there being a whole lot of small "one of a kind" places out there, but I would't be the one to ask anyway. My suggestion is to make the drive into Central Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale, much better options than way out there in the middle of nowhere

Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 AM

1,553 posts, read 4,151,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
We've only lived in PHX for 4 months and DH's Dad is coming to town next week. Plus, we would like some suggestions for ourselves. Our Chipotle and Ono Hawaiian BBQ diet is wearing thin.

When you suggest a place, keep in mind we live way out in Buckeye and really don't want to travel beyond loop 101 just for a meal! I know there are great restuarants on the East side (all the advertisements we've seen are for restaurants on the East side!) but if you can, please post places that won't take more than 45 min for us to get to! The closer the better!

1. Indian food: We've both been craving it but have no idea where to go. We haven't seen one yet!

2. Hole in the wall: Cheap and good food that you prob won't see big ads for but you know the food is de-lish!

3. Any place actually IN Buckeye? You know, those last minute decisions to eat out but you don't want to go too far (the Sonic in town has gotten waaaay too much business from us!)

4. Anybody heard of Claim Jumper? I was curious when my Dh and I passed by it one day so we checked out the menu online. It looked great! No price tag though - have any idea? Also, how's the food?

We're open to all types of food. Cheap and good is our motto! I know I know, I live way out in Buckeye so I should just blame myself 'cuz there's not a whole lot out here. *sniff*

Thanks for any ideas!
Unfortunately, your choices will be limited. Chain restaurants are usually the first restaurants to go into far-flung suburbs. It takes a longer time for independents to arrive.

As for your specific questions:

#1) The closest Indian food I know of is at Bell Rd. and 59th Ave. It's called Maharaja.

#2) Plenty of those in places like Downtown Glendale. La Perla, Pedro's, and Bitzee Mama's are all good hole-in-the wall Mexican in that part of town. There are some others in various strip malls along Bell Road.

#3) I don't know Buckeye well enough to say.

#4) I was forced to go Claim Jumper once for a work function. It was okay, but nothing I would make a special trip for. The emphasis seems to be quantity over quality. The portions are massive, but the food did not thrill me. A lot of people feel differently, though, since it is popular.

#5) Plenty in Central Phoenix and the East Valley, but I don't know about the far West.

In general, I suggest looking into Litchfield Park and Bell Road. That's where you'll find the biggest concentrations of independent restaurants on the West Side.

For other ideas, you might try http://www.chowhound.com/boards/6 which focuses exclusively on food.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, a LOT of chains here which I've never been too fond of. We'll definitely have to check out the Indian and Mexican food places you suggested. We'd love to have some good Mexican food! (I wasn't too thrilled with Macao's even though everybody at my DH's job said the liked it) THanks again

Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,315 times
I have an answer to question #5.

There is a place called Mr Wongs on 107th Ave and Indian School. They have AMAZING crab puffs.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Cool. DH comic book store is near there so we will definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for the advice - "amazing crab puffs" huh? I'll have to ask my mom how "authentic" crab puffs really are in Chinese food but I like crab puffs so I'll definitely give it a go!

Last edited by foma; 04-17-2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: grammar/puncuation

Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,677 times
Default good Mexican restaurant near Buckeye

Try Raul and Theresa's on MC85 (Buckeye Rd.) in Goodyear, near the Goodyear airport. It was recently reviewed in the Arizona Republic. We like the laid back atmosphere and the tasty Mexican entrees! My husband loves the tamales, I like the carne asada tacos, the spicy salsa, the guacamole.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM

845 posts, read 1,208,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post

Thanks for any ideas!
1. Maharaja has lunch buffet which comes with 5 different kinds of curry (3 vegetarian/2 meats) Basmati rice, salad, tandori chicken, samosas or other small appetizer, fresh naan and chai. Pretty good deal. There's another Indian restaurant called Tandori Village at 43rd ave and Bell. Their Chiken Tikka Masala is really good.

2. Mi cochina Mi Pais at (again)43rd Ave and Bell is an Ecuadorian restaurant. Small place with only 6 or 7 tables. Always busy. Good food. Pepe's Taco Villa at 23rd Ave and Cactus is a great mom and pop Mexican restaurant. I have been eating there since the '80th. I only go at lunch because the neighborhood is a bit scary now a days...
King Gyro at 43rd Ave and Thunderbird. The Best Gyro EVER!

3. I know nothing about Buckeye. Except for that my daughter's horse used to live there.

4. It's not cheap but portion is huge and food is pretty good. My hubby and I sometimes go there for drink and appetizer or we all go there with kids for dinner.

5. Golden Rice Express at 59th Ave and Thunderbird by Fry's. Check out their second menu that has more authentic stuff. Nothing fancy but very good food.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 PM

3,229 posts, read 5,928,623 times
All past the 101
Lenny's Burger Shop (35th Ave and Thunderbird)
Anzio's Italian Restaurant (N 28th Dr--about 1 mile east of Lenny's)
Dillon's Restaurant (8706 W Thunderbird Rd)

on the 101

All the places at westgate

Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 PM

17,590 posts, read 20,921,990 times
There's Dino's Italian and Greek and Val's Brazilian restaurants on Indian School at about Bullard in Goodyear. They are pretty much right next door to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area