Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times

Advertisements

I am having issues with another person using my VIN on another vehicle obtaining temporary permits through the DMV.

We bought our vehicle about 6 months ago, we were told the windshield was busted out and the VIN plate was stolen off the dash, we contacted the police department and the DMV before purchasing to make sure his story checked out, which it did, they relocated the VIN plate to my door jam.

A few months later I get a letter in the mail from a man saying he owns a vehicle, and cannot register it due to it being registered to me. He asked if we could do dual ownership, and obviously I refused. I wrote him a letter back saying what happened, and never heard from him again. I called the police department and they said this happens a lot, and he is driving a stolen vehicle with MY vin on it.

I was the at the DMV getting my tags renewed and he asked why I bought a 30 day tag the same day, and then got new tags. I told him I never got any temp registration, so he looked it up and said that he has been getting 30 day registrations for the last 3 months.

He gave me a number to call the DMV fraud department but I have not heard back from them yet.

Any ideas? Should I contact the police again? Could anything happen as a result of him using my VIN? I am worried if he gets the car stolen or something it will show up on a Carfax?

Also, since he is using my VIN wouldn't I technically own his vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
I don't know the Phoenix police department's view on this, if this is small time or big time to them. With anything in Phoenix you constantly have to hound people to get things done. I would recommend getting this taken care of ASAP because if he can get a temporary registration, what else can he get with that information that the DMV failed to protect?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:57 AM

382 posts, read 1,355,529 times
You'd think they'd be doing something since they have an address of where he is. Keep calling until you get a hold of someone with their Fraud Dept. Ask to speak to a detective with the police, maybe they could help you out more. It doesn't hurt to try.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
I work overnight, so I am pretty limited on how much time I have to sit on the phone during the day, it took almost an hour to get through to the DMV today, and once I got through I was on the phone for another 30-40 minutes getting the run around. I will try calling again tomorrow though, hopefully I can get through.

How did he get my address? Why would the DMV be giving that out to him I wonder?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
You could always contact 3 on your side.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
You could always contact 3 on your side.
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. They can get to MVD and their lawyers easier than you can.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I am having issues with another person using my VIN on another vehicle obtaining temporary permits through the DMV.

We bought our vehicle about 6 months ago, we were told the windshield was busted out and the VIN plate was stolen off the dash, we contacted the police department and the DMV before purchasing to make sure his story checked out, which it did, they relocated the VIN plate to my door jam.

A few months later I get a letter in the mail from a man saying he owns a vehicle, and cannot register it due to it being registered to me. He asked if we could do dual ownership, and obviously I refused. I wrote him a letter back saying what happened, and never heard from him again. I called the police department and they said this happens a lot, and he is driving a stolen vehicle with MY vin on it.

I was the at the DMV getting my tags renewed and he asked why I bought a 30 day tag the same day, and then got new tags. I told him I never got any temp registration, so he looked it up and said that he has been getting 30 day registrations for the last 3 months.

He gave me a number to call the DMV fraud department but I have not heard back from them yet.

Any ideas? Should I contact the police again? Could anything happen as a result of him using my VIN? I am worried if he gets the car stolen or something it will show up on a Carfax?

Shouldn't his vehicle also have a door tag as well? If not then there should be tags (stamps) on the frame and engine.

Edit: And No...you do not own his car. And your carfax is already most likely screwed...his car is stolen with you tag on it. He may have bought it legit but it is stolen and your tag is on it.

Last edited by ibarrio; 07-03-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 01:38 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post

Couldn't of happened to a nicer person. Karma is a ***** sometimes.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
It's too late to say this, but I would never have bought this car in the first place, with the information you were given. Lesson learned.

Last edited by observer53; 07-03-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 02:12 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's too late to say this, but I would never have bought this car in the first place, with the information you were given. Lesson learned.
Good point, Observer.

However, now that the damage has been done . . . I have a feeling this fiasco has graduated to a police issue. Improper use of a VIN, especially if there is a crime involved, should be grounds for an arrest as well as seizure of the vehicle involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area