U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM

13 posts, read 38,610 times
Default avondale (n107th and mcdowell) or W Thomas and N83rd??

Looking at a few different houses in 2 fairly close areas
One is inside the loop 101 but both are north of I10
any of these areas good? crime etc?
The houses are both in a gated community

should I be looking more into the litchfield park/goodyear area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 AM

7 posts, read 8,698 times
You know... both areas you mention, 107th & McDowell and 83rd & Thomas are not very good areas. There are newer homes that were built in those areas but that was during the housing boom when builders were building everywhere. So some of these homes were built in pockets of not so great neighborhoods. I'm sure you could find bargains in there.. but you may have trouble selling it yourself once you're ready to get rid of the home. I personally wouldn't look in those areas. I'm not that far from 107th & McDowell.. but there's a huge difference in the homes in that area vs living in Goodyear /Litchfield park areas. Goodyear & Litchfield park currently have great bargains on homes that are beautiful and I feel would have better resale value later. This is just my opinion... but I would stick with Goodyear / Litchfield Park.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,149,974 times
You should do a through neighborhood check out for yourself. Visit the area stores, parks and schools to see for yourself what these area are like.

We rented a house for a week in the neighborhood just NW of 107th and McDowell. The houses are built around man-made lakes and just driving by it looks fine. Getting out of your car and walking gives you a different perspective. I would never buy in that area but maybe you'll see things differently.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,369,296 times
North Avondale around Dysart and Thomas is where I live. Lots of nicer, newer homes and a good shopping variety in the area. Far cry from old Avondale or south Avondale!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 38,610 times
Ive driven and walked there during the day and seemed to like it
I did drive a bit at night and didnt see much action
seems to be an alright place
just would like more opinions
Why didnt you like the houses by the water

Old 08-24-2009, 05:38 PM

15,909 posts, read 11,374,951 times
Try Avondale north of I-10, there are some good places along Dysart

Old 08-24-2009, 05:44 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,667,481 times
To answer the original question... 107th Avenue and McDowell is much safer than 83rd and Thomas, hands down.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,459 times
I lived at 107th and McDowell, Garden Lakes community, and had absolutely no complaints. Neighborhood was safe and quiet because we chose a house on a street that wasn't a major thruway. I know it sounds kinda old fashioned, but I took the time to meet my neighbors and that paid dividends. A couple of times there were strange cars parked in front of my house and I came home to notes on my doors saying neighbors reported it and the police stopped by to check that all was quiet.

As for Litchfield Park, I rented at Dysart and Indian School (Remington Ranch). It wasn't bad at all, but I would say that even in a gated community there I felt I had to keep an eye on things. In my opinion, it doesn't matter the statistics, it's what YOU feel. Perception is reality when it comes to safety. My perception of that area was lovely during the day, but not at night. I can recall several times seeing the ghetto birds (police helicopters) circling above looking for people and being told once to get off my porch and get indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area