U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,704,734 times

Advertisements

"At Del Web you won't find anyone out in July....I'm 62..."

I take it you live in Sun City or Sun City West (or Grand or Festival, etc). Those are nearly ghost towns in the summer because there are so many part-time residents.
One thing I have noticed: there are not a lot of kids out playing in the heat of the day in the summer. Not saying this is good or bad, just something I've noticed.
Also, if you've ever returned to Phoenix on I-17 Sunday afternoon/evening, you'll note the surprisingly large amount of traffic. Enough people have the good sense to "escape" to the mountains on weekends during the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,253,743 times
Plenty of people, including kids, playing outside during the summer. However, even children know it is best to play outside during the morning or early evening save activities like swimming, etc. This is true for those that golf as well. I do not golf but I hike throughout the summer. There is a way of handling yourself in the heat but it isn't the deserted desert some try to portray.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,223,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Plenty of people, including kids, playing outside during the summer. However, even children know it is best to play outside during the morning or early evening save activities like swimming, etc. This is true for those that golf as well. I do not golf but I hike throughout the summer. There is a way of handling yourself in the heat but it isn't the deserted desert some try to portray.
Yup that true and remember we use to always play outside in the summer and I remember the playgrounds everything was made of metal. No plastic crap like now. I jusy think kids today have more distractions like videos games t play. Otherwise they would be outside more.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 6,248,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden039 View Post
If you’re planning to move here be prepared to be nuked. In July the golf courses are empty and the swimming pools don't have anyone in them. Trying going to the lake and you will be alone. The only thing to do here in July in sit in an air condition place like the movies, mall, store, or home and watch TV. Forget about outdoor stuff unless you’re like to play with a sun stroke. If you just have to move here visit in the summer then make your move in the other seasons so the shock isn't so great.
Sounds exactly like 6 months of crap winter weather back east. The golf courses are closed, swimming pools are drained for winter, and the lake is frozen. Forget about outdoor stuff unless you are wearing a snowmobile suit and you like to flirt with frostbite. Seeing the sun is like seeing a friend you haven't seen for weeks. There's nothing to do but sit inside like at the movies, mall, store, or home and watch TV. How about trying to drive on ice and snow, shoveling, and all the other things that people claim to love so much about the misery of winter. You can't go outside for five minutes in winter, without putting on layer after layer of clothing.

Our worst in Phoenix, can't touch the worst that winter dishes out in northern climates. You don't have to shovel the occasional rains, or the ample sunshine. In fact, summer in the desert doesn't require you to do anything major, just so that you can live in it. In a northern winter, you must clear snow from your driveway just to get to the street. You must scrape the windows of your car if you leave it outside. You must wear gloves, boots, hats, and heavy coats, or you risk getting ill or getting frostbite. Think electric bills are bad? Try heating a large house all winter. Half the winter sports that people do are just thinly-masked drinking events anyway (ice fishing and snowmobiling are the first that come to mind) which is probably why they are tolerable. Anything is fun if you pour enough whiskey on it. Skiing is enjoyable, but again, requires tons of forethought, wardrobe planning, and equipment, to be comfortable and able to do it. And it's only "good" in a few places.

Give me a hot summer over a cold, snowy winter any day. At least you can enjoy the mornings and the late evenings outside without making a production out of it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
YAZ

6,153 posts, read 6,702,213 times
Yes, ice fishing is more of a "social" event. Keep the beer in the shanty or it'll freeze.

Snowmobiling?

The most often asked question while ridin' a machine:

How far to the next bar?

Skating & skiing are another story. For obvious reasons....

Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM

736 posts, read 1,088,529 times
Quote:
If you’re planning to move here be prepared to be nuked. In July the golf courses are empty and the swimming pools don't have anyone in them. Trying going to the lake and you will be alone. The only thing to do here in July in sit in an air condition place like the movies, mall, store, or home and watch TV. Forget about outdoor stuff unless you’re like to play with a sun stroke. If you just have to move here visit in the summer then make your move in the other seasons so the shock isn't so great.
Speak for yourself. The golf courses are far from empty. I walked 18 holes last friday and the course was packed. Granted they arent like during the winter months but people are out there. As long I drink plenty of water I'm fine. I actually do more outdoor activities in the summertime due to there being more daylight. You've obviously never been to a water park or tubing down the salt river in the summer. Those places are packed with plenty of people who can stand the heat.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 PM

246 posts, read 381,746 times
Quote:
NOT TRUE. On weekends Saguaro and Canyon lakes are very busy.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM

102 posts, read 310,769 times
today very hot not a good day to be even a little over weight stay inside ...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,440,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Sounds exactly like 6 months of crap winter weather back east. The golf courses are closed, swimming pools are drained for winter, and the lake is frozen. Forget about outdoor stuff unless you are wearing a snowmobile suit and you like to flirt with frostbite. Seeing the sun is like seeing a friend you haven't seen for weeks. There's nothing to do but sit inside like at the movies, mall, store, or home and watch TV. How about trying to drive on ice and snow, shoveling, and all the other things that people claim to love so much about the misery of winter. You can't go outside for five minutes in winter, without putting on layer after layer of clothing.

Our worst in Phoenix, can't touch the worst that winter dishes out in northern climates. You don't have to shovel the occasional rains, or the ample sunshine. In fact, summer in the desert doesn't require you to do anything major, just so that you can live in it. In a northern winter, you must clear snow from your driveway just to get to the street. You must scrape the windows of your car if you leave it outside. You must wear gloves, boots, hats, and heavy coats, or you risk getting ill or getting frostbite. Think electric bills are bad? Try heating a large house all winter. Half the winter sports that people do are just thinly-masked drinking events anyway (ice fishing and snowmobiling are the first that come to mind) which is probably why they are tolerable. Anything is fun if you pour enough whiskey on it. Skiing is enjoyable, but again, requires tons of forethought, wardrobe planning, and equipment, to be comfortable and able to do it. And it's only "good" in a few places.

Give me a hot summer over a cold, snowy winter any day. At least you can enjoy the mornings and the late evenings outside without making a production out of it.
You are speaking to the choir here, sir. This coming from a Wash DC native who hates '4 season' weather.

In all fairness: for those of us who need/want to live in a (barely) '4 season' climate, there is always Prescott. Its average daytime high in January (the coldest month) is 50F and it is usually sunny

Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 6,189,382 times
but but... i thought June was the hottest time of the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area