U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-10-2009, 08:07 AM

21,157 posts, read 24,241,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They have had the lagging left turn arrows for several years- - based on studies that indicated that those are safer, with fewer left turn accidents, and improve traffic flow. I've encountered them in other places, too, but I think they are still the only city in the Valley with them. I think other cities in the Valley have considered them; perhaps there are studes going both ways, like there are on so many issues.

I actually do like them, and am used to the fact that when I am in Scottsdale, the rules will be different.
Gilbert perhaps?

One thing that is annoying along McKellips Rd that one intersection (McClintock/Hayden) has the laggers whereas another 1 mile away has leading left turn arrows (S'dale Rd).

And; we will not discuss the Salt River rez; despite it being its own entity, in the phone book its addresses are listed as being in Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM

12,997 posts, read 14,374,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
So is a green left-turn arrow, less green in comparison to the green light and thus a right-turn arrow even less green than that??? They look the same color to me so I usually drive through the light like I would any green light. Is there an extra step one must take when going through a green arrow that doesn't exist for just a green light? Is ADOT, Phoenix Streets and Transportation Department/Scottsdale Streets and Transportation trying to confuse us? Are we NOT supposed to drive through a green left-turn arrow? I get it Simon didn't say...it's all clear now...LOL, I am just having fun with this thread and I couldn't sleep and only an hour until I start my tortillas for breakfast...ugh! Let me start the coffee!

Um yeah, Scottsdale is the only city with the totally hip, delayed green-turn arrow; I mean like, heeeelllooooooooo! It's totally exclusive and like costs a fortune to program the lights to work that way. Sooo kewl!

LOL, its the sleep depravation and coffee talking! Plus I can totally picture a Scottsdale femme fatale saying that! LOL
Enough, fc... come back when you have had some sleep!

Unread 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,605,711 times
Most of the lights down here in Casa Grande are laggard lefts too. Its slightly better than the leading kind in my view because as someone said, they dont show a RED left turn when the regular green is on (they show nothing at all as far as arrows during this time) and as such if traffic is clear i can make a left at any time. If traffic never clears I still get to turn left on the arrow (which comes on only after the regular light turns red).

Whereas typically leading green arrows show a RED ARROW after the turn cycle is over, and hence you must wait for the next GREEN ARROW to turn. Least that is the way it is in CA (where I never saw a lagging left at all).

Unread 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM

8,130 posts, read 8,361,020 times
we have them in goodyear and is prefer it so much more .... especially if it's not just a dedicated arrow that allows the turn

by that I mean you enter the intersection on a full green, go through with caution and if you don't get your turn in you'll have an arrow to get you through

so much nicer than having the arrow first where people tend to not get prepared to go as quickly and then you have 2-3 cars that are pushing it as the light goes full green leaving a dangerous situation that at best slows down the traffic

Unread 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM

920 posts, read 1,964,282 times
The other nice thing is that it lets the main body of cars go forward first. If you've ever wanted to get in the left turn lane, but couldn't because you were stuck behind a few cars, you had to watch the left turn light expire before you could get in the left turn lane. When lagging, the main body moves first, allowing you to casually slide into the left turn lane and still have a good of getting through that cycle.

Unread 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM

114 posts, read 215,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
we have them in goodyear and is prefer it so much more .... especially if it's not just a dedicated arrow that allows the turn

by that I mean you enter the intersection on a full green, go through with caution and if you don't get your turn in you'll have an arrow to get you through

so much nicer than having the arrow first where people tend to not get prepared to go as quickly and then you have 2-3 cars that are pushing it as the light goes full green leaving a dangerous situation that at best slows down the traffic
example in Goodyear, if you are northbound on Litchfield Road negotiating a westbound turn at McDowell, you will sit yielding to southbound litchfield rd traffic, then the light goes yellow, and you worry about going red, but then IT DOES GO RED, THEN IT GOES GREEN ARROW! WT HEck!

Unread 07-10-2009, 03:20 PM

68 posts, read 195,171 times
Wow, Karma- I'm surprised that you are so befuddled by SCOTTSDALE'S arrows since you live in this giant dump of a town, Gilbert. You never noticed that your hometown ALSO has the lagging green arrows? Very curious indeed.

I guess you were so enchanted by all of the dumpiness of Gilbert that you failed to notice how the lights were timed. It happens.

Unread 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM

12,997 posts, read 14,374,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK85297 View Post
Wow, Karma- I'm surprised that you are so befuddled by SCOTTSDALE'S arrows since you live in this giant dump of a town, Gilbert. You never noticed that your hometown ALSO has the lagging green arrows? Very curious indeed.

I guess you were so enchanted by all of the dumpiness of Gilbert that you failed to notice how the lights were timed. It happens.
Perhaps I'm just sleepy and your post is in jest, but Karma doesn't live in Gilbert.

Unread 07-10-2009, 03:50 PM

68 posts, read 195,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think Karma lives in Gilbert. . . .
On another thread she/he recently said that he/she has lived in Gilbert for 3 years and that it's a total dump. It struck me as odd that someone who has lived in this dump for three whole years (longer than me, even!) would not have noticed the lagging arrows....

Unread 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,793,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK85297 View Post
On another thread she/he recently said that he/she has lived in Gilbert for 3 years and that it's a total dump. It struck me as odd that someone who has lived in this dump for three whole years (longer than me, even!) would not have noticed the lagging arrows....
I wouldn't worry about Karma they seem to just love to stir things up, and make pointless threads. See this one as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area