Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times

Advertisements

Everything in downtown Chicago got rusty and dirty and old and even the snow was black and yukky after a day of salt spreading. When I saw the clean new roads and the blue skies here, I left my life there behind and I still don't miss it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
I guess people move from the Midwest to AZ for a few reasons... theyre tired of cold winters, had a job relocation, or are retired. Those from Chicago who enjoy urban lifestyles, endless culture, world class arts/museums/etc, 4 seasons, incredible dining and nightlife, world class architecture, and expansive public transportation would absolutely despise a place like PHX. But those from Chicago who cant handle cold weather for 4 months, anything less than 75% sunshine year round and having to shovel (if applicable), love mountains and desert scenery will find PHX to be "paradise". I love Arizona, but the problem is that I think its too hot for too long (for my personal tastes), and Ive yet to find a charming, affordable city in AZ. All the ones I like (North Scottsdale, Carefree, parts of Sedona, etc) are too expensive for me at the moment. If I could find a place in AZ that had the charm of, say, Galena, IL, and was somewhere a little cooler (say Prescott-ish weather), Id be tempted to move myself. But as it stands, natural scenery aside, I see absolutely no charming towns in AZ.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,263 times
Why did I leave Chicago (Northwest Indiana) you ask?

-Snow
-Cold
-Snow
-Rain
-Snow
-Slush
-MOSQUITOS!
-Cloud covered dreary sky all winter long (6 months of the year)
-the countrys most corupt politicians who want to tax everything until you finally leave for Arizona

Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,035 times
I absolutely love Chicago. The nightlife, the restaurants, the museums and everything else, but I can be there in a little over 3 hours take it in for a week or so during the summer and head back to the Valley of the Sun. I've got the Cubbies for Spring Training (have had season tickets for the past 19 years).

It is just that winter in Chicago sucks and we all know that. I've never met a single person who looks forward to winter in Chicago. You just can't escape it unless you have the time and money to stay out of town for a few months.

As for charming towns in AZ or even New New Mexico, have you looked? If you can't find one it is better that you stay where you are.

All of Arizona weather wise is not like Phoenix, but most of Illinois is a lot closer weather wise to Chi-town than AZ is to PHX.

I've lived in Arlington Heights for 23 years and Tempe for 30 years. Tempe wins hands down. I still love to visit Chicago, my favorite city to VISIT!.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I guess people move from the Midwest to AZ for a few reasons... theyre tired of cold winters, had a job relocation, or are retired. Those from Chicago who enjoy urban lifestyles, endless culture, world class arts/museums/etc, 4 seasons, incredible dining and nightlife, world class architecture, and expansive public transportation would absolutely despise a place like PHX. But those from Chicago who cant handle cold weather for 4 months, anything less than 75% sunshine year round and having to shovel (if applicable), love mountains and desert scenery will find PHX to be "paradise". I love Arizona, but the problem is that I think its too hot for too long (for my personal tastes), and Ive yet to find a charming, affordable city in AZ. All the ones I like (North Scottsdale, Carefree, parts of Sedona, etc) are too expensive for me at the moment. If I could find a place in AZ that had the charm of, say, Galena, IL, and was somewhere a little cooler (say Prescott-ish weather), Id be tempted to move myself. But as it stands, natural scenery aside, I see absolutely no charming towns in AZ.
Flagstaff is pretty charming - but on the other hand, it snows there. And to be fair to Phoenix, while it's no Chicago, the urban lifestyle is improving - there is much more culture than there used to be, a light rail system, new condominiums, expansions of the art museum...no, it's not Chicago, but few places are. Besides, I can live here in a much more stress-free environment, with less taxes, no snow, and subscribe to Chicago magazine - and when the Art Institute opens its new wing, or a new restaurant opens, or the Printer's Row Book Fair or Venetian Night is going on, I can hop on a Southwest flight and be there in three hours.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Flagstaff is pretty charming - but on the other hand, it snows there. And to be fair to Phoenix, while it's no Chicago, the urban lifestyle is improving - there is much more culture than there used to be, a light rail system, new condominiums, expansions of the art museum...no, it's not Chicago, but few places are.
Very true. I like the improvements Ive seen, but I was talking more about the suburbs. PHX's burbs are mostly new developments, which some people prefer. I prefer older communities with tree-lined streets and restored Victorians, etc. Prescott is about as close to the Midwest as AZ can get, from what Ive seen so far, and its still not really all that similar. If I could move Geneva or Galena, IL, to AZ (somewhere with a climate like Prescott or Tombstone), Id strongly consider moving, as I do love the desert immesely. But, having Oak/Willow tree lined streets in the desert would be hard to accomplish.

There was a post someone posted on this board a few weeks back of a small town in AZ that had tree-lined streets and grassy yards, but I forget its name at the moment. I might be able to live in that town, too. But from what I understand, its quite a bit far out from PHX area, where I have family, so that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post

I've never met a single person who looks forward to winter in Chicago.
Youre talking to one. I absolutely love winter for many reasons.... the quiet it brings, the changing colors and snowfall, winter sports (mainly hockey) and crisp air. Im one of those people who enjoys being crisp and cold, so therefore Winter is a nice change for me, for a few months until Spring arrives. BLECH

Oh, I have several friends, too, who love winter.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,035 times
Quote:
Youre talking to one. I absolutely love winter for many reasons.... the quiet it brings, the changing colors and snowfall, winter sports (mainly hockey) and crisp air. Oh, I have several friends, too, who love winter.
What, you love the hibernation! The key word you used was "several" friends. A lot of the rest of them hate it (millions). To each their own, if that is what freezes your boat, let it float. Ice does float! You would be miserable here. I wouldn't want anyone to be in misery!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
There was a post someone posted on this board a few weeks back of a small town in AZ that had tree-lined streets and grassy yards, but I forget its name at the moment. I might be able to live in that town, too. But from what I understand, its quite a bit far out from PHX area, where I have family, so that would kind of defeat the purpose.
Might have been Cottonwood, that's the only one I can think of outside Prescott. I agree the desert makes the big trees and close-knit neighborhoods that I love about Chicago relatively impossible. It's a shame, really. There are areas that have bigger trees in Phoenix, like parts of Central Avenue, but they are very well watered and fairly small areas.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, I have several friends, too, who love winter.
It's odd, I love the beginning of winter in Chicago, those first few couple of weeks when the snow is falling over Lincoln Park and the ice begins to crust on Lake Michigan and everything is crisp and beautiful. It's three months later when it's still like that but slushy that it starts to wear on me a bit. But yeah, I miss it - people in Phoenix say they don't miss snow, but the loss of the change of seasons, the lack of the lights twinkling on Michigan Avenue on Christmas - there is a sense of change in Chicago as the seasons go by that you don't get as strongly in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area