Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 PM

22 posts, read 65,784 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this lately?

This past Sunday, I took my wife and my youngest daughter, along with my mom and dad, to float the Salt River.

I haven't done this since my ASU days (20 years ago) and was reluctant, based on what I remember (or maybe what I don't remember).

I have to tell you, we had the greatest time! I forgot how scenic it is (maybe because I was stone-cold sober this time). I think the key is to get there before the "rowdies" get there. We got there at 10:00, rented our tubes, and were on the river in no time. If you have children under 10, it's probably best to go from Point 2-Point 4. It only took us 2 hours, and it was perfect for the little ones. Our 8 year old daughter absolutely loved it, as did the rest of the crew.

If you do a search for Salt River Tubing, you can find out more. What a great way to spend 1/2 of the day! Check it out!

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,999 times
Yes, I LOVE it!!! It does get rowdy and I admit to getting pretty rowdy, but not stupid myself! I "lost" my swim shorts for about 5 minutes there...I got thrown off my tube and the strings to my shorts were grabbed by the guy throwing me so they loosened up and the current and swimming against it did the rest!!! I was so mad, but it was funny afterwards, LOL! It is a great time and lots of people, GOOD looking people too. Great place to find a date if you are single!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
first tubed the Salt within weeks of moving here in June of 1975 at age 12.....an Arizona classic.....

the next summer, relatives visited from the midwest....took them tubing, of course, and one of the visitors wound up with too much sun and not enough water....was throwing up and very sick that evening.....

haven't done it in years, but just recently drove the Bush Highway between Power Rd and the Beeline.....oh man, the changes!....there's a freaking interchange now out at the Beeline!!....and a huge parking lot down at the bridge!!....and another big paved lot up near the dam put-in!!....and fees!!........back in the old days, we just drove down to a place very close to the dam and put in....we'd spend maybe four hours floating down to the bridge and just trudge across the dirt to the car amid all the other randomly parked vehicles.....oh well, it's a very busy spot and it had to be organized a bit more

we were always intrigued by the crosses up on a cliff where jumpers had died....I think they later blasted that attractive nuisance....

Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM

22 posts, read 65,784 times
azdr, you need to do it! We had a blast, and it's such cheap entertainment for what you get! I think Sunday mornings are probably best to avoid the crowds. You will find some "goofballs" in the parking lot when you get there, but everyone spreads out once you are on the river. We floated from the bridge to the end (Point 4), which took 2 hours or so, and it was perfect. The beauty of it is that you still have 1/2 a day to enjoy at home!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 AM

220 posts, read 648,748 times
We went for the first time in years 2 weeks ago. We had a blast. We took our oldest daughter who also had a great time! We're thinking of going again in a few weeks.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 AM

977 posts, read 1,955,957 times
I went last year on labor day. We got out there around 0800, and didn't get done until about 6pm. Drank beer all day and got 2nd degree burns on my arm. Though if anyone finds a Metallica shirt, let me know. I did get rather upset about losing the shirt, but it was a damn good time.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 37,623 times
I hear that at the end of the season they find enough jewelry and car keys to fill up a garbage can when the flow is shut off.

I know i have lost car keys there.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,042 times
will they allow your dog on the salt river?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,962 times
Yes, dogs are allowed.

My favorite thing to bring along is some good old KFC chicken. It's truly a floating picnic, and the fish love the crumbs.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:50 PM

369 posts, read 2,165,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Yes, dogs are allowed.

My favorite thing to bring along is some good old KFC chicken. It's truly a floating picnic, and the fish love the crumbs.

where can I find more info on the salt river? I wouldnt mind giving it a try if my seperation anxiety ridden dog could come!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: