Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 100,314 times

Advertisements

Rather than pay a service we're wondering approximately how much it costs to maintain a small pool. I guess you need a creepy crawler or a vacuum to clean the bottom. What type of chemicals do you use weekly and how much does it cost? Trying to determine how much it would save us to do it ourselves!

Thanks for any info you can share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I take care of my own pool. A bottle of Muriatic Acid lasts about a month and that's all I need. I have a Salt Water pool. I would say I spend about 1-2 hours a month and less than $10 in chemicals.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM

149 posts, read 533,258 times
We recently decided to save $110/month and started to take care the pool ourselves. We found this forum to be extremely helpful. This forum had all the answers we needed from testing/adjusting pool chemicals to pool equipment maintenance.

We also found this Pool Calculator quite handy for newbies like us.

Good luck .

Last edited by SpaceNeedle; 07-20-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Pretty much any pool store in the region will computer test your pool water for free - just take in a water sample... takes 5 minutes. They'll tell you exactly what you need to add... 2 cups of acid, some chlorine, etc. The basic chemicals are relatively inexpensive... $20 a month maybe. You might occasionally need speciality product for algae, phosphates, etc. and those are a tad more ($20 or so for a bottle), but not too bad and only a few times a year.

What is expensive is the equipment. The creepy crawlers and other things are pricey - several hundred dollars. I just bought a leaf basket - an $8 piece of plastic. Turns out I needed the same basket but with a screw hole in the bottom. That was $12. So an extra $4 for a small hole!

The other cost is running the pump... which some people do in the day and others at night "off peak." I'm not sure what this actually costs per month because I run the pump more in the summer but my AC is also cranking all day, so the electirc bills are always elevated in the hot months.

Overall, it's cheaper to do yourself, but so is anything else. But it's not hard to do either.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNeedle View Post
We recently decided to save $110/month and started to take care the pool ourselves. We found this forum to be extremely helpful. This forum had all the answers we needed from testing/adjusting pool chemicals to pool equipment maintenance.

We also found this Pool Calculator quite handy for newbies like us.

Good luck .

I'm a regular there.

Lots of smart, experienced pool owners.

They've helped me out a lot......

Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
I took care of my own pool for about 2 years and gave up. I have used a pool service ever since, once a week, currently $80 a month. The guy cleans all the debris from the bottom, vacuums the pool which takes forever, back washes, balances the chemicals, cleans the water line tile and leaves the pool crystal clear. I pay for the chemicals.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I took care of my own pool for about 2 years and gave up. I have used a pool service ever since, once a week, currently $80 a month. The guy cleans all the debris from the bottom, vacuums the pool which takes forever, back washes, balances the chemicals, cleans the water line tile and leaves the pool crystal clear. I pay for the chemicals.

Taking care of the pool is my new hobby.

I spend more time doing that than enjoying it.

It's all good though.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:52 PM

28 posts, read 100,314 times
Thanks for all the info:-)

Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,102 times
I also take care of my pool . Golden rule, if you do nothing but keep it chlorinated it will nevah go green.

Oh I also do not run my pump every day, about every 4 th or 5 th day for a few hours or just enough to do a quick vac of the bottom if it needs it.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I pay for a service. Honestly, it's not much work but the reason I pay for a service is it brings me peace of mind knowing that if I forget to empty the baskets or check the chemicals, my pool won't suffer. I used to do it on my own but I found it was really easy to miss a week here and there. Nonetheless, if you are home or want to save money, you can save a considerable amount of money buy doing it yourself. If you are always on the go and are away from home, I recommend a pool service but if you know if someone is going to be home, then you could probably do it yourself.

For a reliable pool service which includes chemicals and cleaning, you are talking about $100 a month. I know "We Fix Ugly Pools" charges $95. I have a guy I've been using for a long time but I looked into them. If you can afford it, I definitely recommend hiring a service though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area