U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,641,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They didn't bring enough water IN THE FIRST PLACE for the whole group to be out for FOUR AND A HALF HOURS hiking in South Mountain Park, where there is NO shade and the trails are hardly flat, on a hot day. By the time he collapsed, he was probably too far gone even if they had accepted water from anyone else.
He probably was too far gone, but what stopped them before that point..in my mind no excuse no matter who it is...you don't leave without being prepared, heat or cold...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,631,807 times
Those adults need to be charged with criminal neglect, no matter how hard they tried to save the kid. There is no excuse for being unprepared in Phoenix in July and adults are supposed to be responsible for kids. Not bringing enough water is inexcusable. I had a tire blowout on July 4th near Searchlight, NV. I wasn't worried at all (other than how much is was gonna cost me). I had three liters of water, three cell phones on two carriers, a gun, a knife and a flashlight. I wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,900,733 times
I go hiking at South Mtn park all the time but NEVER in mid summer - that aside OK I live here so I know better but still - 4.5 hours!
WTF were these people doing? Some sort of endurance test?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 PM

461 posts, read 543,190 times
I understand about people needing to be accountable for their own kids, dislike of 'big brother' and ugly signs, and our current lack of a proper budget, but it might help if they post a sign warning about dehydration(kind of like they do for forest fires elsewhere) at each of the main trailheads at South Mountain, or maybe instead a larger sign in the parking areas. Maybe something with pictures, too, so that people won't ignore it. I don't know. It might help to prevent this from happening again?
I've been hiking at South Mountain Park many times and maybe they've already got something like that posted...but I haven't noticed it. What do you think? I know South Mountain has tons of trails but some signage is better than nothing?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 PM

3,217 posts, read 5,707,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I understand about people needing to be accountable for their own kids, dislike of 'big brother' and ugly signs, and our current lack of a proper budget, but it might help if they post a sign warning about dehydration(kind of like they do for forest fires elsewhere) at each of the main trailheads at South Mountain, or maybe instead a larger sign in the parking areas. Maybe something with pictures, too, so that people won't ignore it. I don't know. It might help to prevent this from happening again?
I've been hiking at South Mountain Park many times and maybe they've already got something like that posted...but I haven't noticed it. What do you think? I know South Mountain has tons of trails but some signage is better than nothing?
I can see a sign at the entrance. sort of like the Don't feed the bear signs. Of course, it does no good....but at least you have been warned.

Last edited by ibarrio; 07-24-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,078,190 times
I friend of mine join the Phoenix PD last year and in bootcamp the had them running around South Mountain on a 110+ day and he blacked out from heat exhaustion.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM

7,843 posts, read 15,416,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
I friend of mine join the Phoenix PD last year and in bootcamp the had them running around South Mountain on a 110+ day and he blacked out from heat exhaustion.
Good point, Loco . . . and he was an experienced "in shape" individual.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 PM

9,011 posts, read 9,425,886 times

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-24-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good point, Loco . . . and he was an experienced "in shape" individual.
Heat exhaustion is different from Heat stroke. Heat exhaustion is less severe and is fairly common. The person didn't die. This is far different. When people suffer from heat stroke and die of hyperthermia, you develop what's called anhidrosis or non-sweating, the person's skin is dry and it's a really bad sign.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Hmm I guess there have been conflicting news reports. On channel 3 news today they said he collapsed and they used the last 7-8 water bottles on him
It would be too late at that point. If his core body temperature had reached that level, the first thing you do is cool him down in an emergency setting by putting cool wet towels on him and then using fans to blow through evaporative cooling or placing ice packs in his groin and axilla not forcing fluids down hsi throat. You are supposed to drink water in advance and keep yourself hydrated in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: