U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:51 PM

292 posts, read 370,129 times

Advertisements

Scottsdale isn't the worst place to visit, but living there makes no sense. Its a mix between yuppies and retirees, their education rankings are poor and they don't have any very good colleges, the landscape bores me, the food isn't anything to write home about, and the housing cost has sky-rocketed and yet, the homes still have little property. Near by the airport, it smells terrible and the traffic is awful. The PHX/Scottsdale area is becoming more and more like LA.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,709,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Scottsdale isn't the worst place to visit, but living there makes no sense. Its a mix between yuppies and retirees, their education rankings are poor and they don't have any very good colleges, the landscape bores me, the food isn't anything to write home about, and the housing cost has sky-rocketed and yet, the homes still have little property. Near by the airport, it smells terrible and the traffic is awful. The PHX/Scottsdale area is becoming more and more like LA.
So New Jersey is better overall than Scottsdale? I am just asking how you came to that conclusion.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,345,069 times
Quote:
Actually, Scottsdale was not suppose to have a "college" (but they do have some good ones).

Scottsdale has some of the finest restaurants in the world actually - some that have been of international acclaim. The same with several of their resorts.

Scottsdale is the home of any number of executives of international firms.

The homes in Scottsdale tend to be pricey - then again, the land costs have a lot to do with this and the size of homes is above "average" (you know - 8 / 9 / 10,000 sq feet).

As for the "Airport" - I assume you are speaking of Sky Harbor International - which is NOT in Scottsdale -

In reality, Scottsdale is a city in high demand.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,251,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Could be...I have a 27 year old in the military and still scrawny to me, but the only time he is scary is when he wants something from me and starts his "sad face and mommy" whine
LOL, I don't really whine to my parents. I haven't really been described as scary however.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about Scottsdale, AZ or some other place because what you are describing is nothing like Scottsdale, AZ. First off most of the population is not made up of retirees. It is quite the opposite. There are many corporate offices in Scottsdale and much of the population is upper middle class or wealthy and working. The "education rankings" of Scottsdale public schools are actually very high while their per pupil spending is lower than the national average but higher than the AZ average. Good colleges in or near Scottsdale include ASU, and a School of Architecture honoring Frank Lloyd Wright...the landscape has been described as majestic, a stark beauty, contrasting, etc but never boring. The housing prices have NOT skyrocketed especially in this market but some have held their values quite well. Many Scottsdale homes also have acres of property, large lots, etc. There are some "small properties" but generally people have large fenced in yard in Snottsdale...I mean Scottsdale.

Traffic is nothing like Los Angeles and is usually slow and go during the heaviest commutes. In L.A. you move a mile in an hour in Scottsdale or Phoenix you'd be in Carefree or Apache Junction in the same time frame. It smells around the airport in Phoenix? Like what, jet fuel??? Luckily, Phoenix and the metro area have started mass transit projects and rail service and in phases that outpace the growth of similar systems in L.A. L.A. didn't have trains and a small subway until the population was already too big to effect change. L.A. started rail transit in the 90's when they had over 3 million people and 18 million in the metro, Phoenix started when the city had 1.5 million and 4.3 million in the metro area; still plenty of time to effect change and development a la San Diego, Seattle, Portland, etc.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 PM

122 posts, read 119,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
The only thing that drives me nuts is peoples inabilities to walk an extra couple feet and put their shopping carts some place other than next to my vehicle. It's some kind of strange phenomenon. I've only met a couple people in my neighbourhood that have been here longer then 10 years. Damn Midwesterners. I know they don't do that crap where they are from.
Oh really?! I am from Chicago and see it happen frequently. I happen to respect other people's vehicles and make sure a cart is put back in its proper place.

As for the OP, we can say the same about people living in Chicago, LA, NY, etc. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think it is fair to base your opinion on Phoenix after visting for just a short while. I am sure people from AZ think I am nuts for living in a city where it is colder than heck in the winter with a lot of snow. And frankly, I am getting tired of living in Chicago and wish I could have purchased a house in AZ but my husband wasn't having it.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Very true princess. What I also LIKE about Phoenix is the huge emigration population and mixture of Americana from every corner of the U.S. I also love the sedona red of the landscape and mountains...and the boys in sedona red! Go D-Backs! When is Connor Jackson coming back??? You know what is funny about men? Well it is that men, including my guy, doesn't get jealous when my neighbor (who is hot) talks to me or pretends to flirt (he is straight, married and likes to mess with my other half) BUT he gets sooo mad because I like CoJack??? So when an everyday guy is around it is fine, but when a celebrity/athlete is brought up why is that worse? It is not like I will ever be alone with # 34!

Maybe its because whenever I see him at the games or on TV I yell: wooooooooooooooooooooooooo! CONNOR!!! LOL And when he plays left field I buy left field bleacher seats closest to the field!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO! CONNOR! Stephen Drew is very cute too!

His cameo on General Hospital earlier this year, ugh I hate soaps but I watched this episode:

When he was #16...with teammate Stephen Drew....Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!

Scottsdale is pretty good looking too while sporting sedona red:

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-04-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Oooops, I was just caught posting CoJack pics...he's home for lunch! LOL! I'm in trouble.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 PM

122 posts, read 119,564 times
Oh sure, just post those pictures and you got me drooling over here. I gotta be careful what I say about Chicago in the Chicago forum because I will be hit with tomatoes.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,519,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
My opinion is this: when you are young, you should take the opportunity to live in a city like NY, SF, Chicago, Boston, Seattle etc. I think you will learn a lot and it's a wonderful experience. However, when it comes time to settling down, I would examine cities like Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, LA...even Chicago suburbs. SF isn't a city you want to live in if you are raising a family. My wife and I are anticipating twins and I'm so glad I live in Phoenix. I couldn't imagine having to raise a set of twins living in San Francisco. Sorry I'm not Bob Saget and I don't have Uncle Joey and Uncle Jesse living with me. Maybe if they were available as free nannies and I worked as a Broadcaster working 20 hours a week, i would consider it. Your lifestyle and quality of life would suffer incredibily if you lived in SF unless you were a celebrity who made a lot of money and simultaneously had a lot of free time aka Actor/Actress/Musician/Trust Fund Baby. For the other 99.9 percent of us, that doesn't apply.

This isn't to say that Phoenix lacks a vibrant night life and singles scene because it has that but I think living in a city like NY or SF for 2-3 years is a good idea if you are young, single and lack any real responsibility. But I would never settle down in those cities. If I want fun nightlife and shows, I can fly to NY for a weekend and stay at the best hotel and dine at the best restaurants and get my fill and then come back to Phoenix and enjoy day to day great quality of living. I don't want to live in a prison cell called a 800 sq ft apartment and take public transport and just have basic everyday living activities be harder because I want to feel cool and live in an urban area. No thanks
Hi azriverfan First of all I want to congratulate you on your brilliantly written post, especially the 1st paragraph. I could not have said it better myself. San Francisco is a great city, but it is just really expensive and the average middle class person is going to find it tough to live there. I'm not saying it can't be done, yes it could be but unless you want to live like that. I would not mind because to me owning a home is not really something I even think about.

I can understand the OP's complaints but at the same time, why on earth do people just waste their time to type these negative threads? Yes, Phoenix is super hot in the summer and yes it is sprawled out but it is what it is. If people don't like that, they don't have to stay, it is really that simple. And I want to make it clear that in my previous posts in the PHX forum, I have never in any way tried to bash PHX. I sure hope Arizonabear and Fcorrales take the time to read this post because I approach things from a very open minded view now, even more so than say last year.

If the outside temperature is hot so what? That is why they created water and something called AIR CONDITIONING! Although the AC affects my allergies and makes them worse, I don't really complain about it that much because I am now more mature. I am also at a much better level spiritually. I go with the flow of life and try to accept the is-ness of things rather than going against the flow of life. If you go against the flow of life, that is when you are unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area