U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 AM

137 posts, read 216,076 times
aiwei, thanks for the info. That's an interesting article. My wife and I were discussing exactly that explanation yesterday. I just found it surprising, because the school in Ahwatukee has 20% elegibile for assistance and the school in Scottsdale has only 2%. After reading that article, I think the percentage in Ahwatukee just went up a notch. I think I qualify

I want to emphasize that I didn't intend to offend anyone with this thread. I wrote the first post in this thread in a hurry yesterday, because I felt like I might still have time to back out of the deal. I thought I might have missed something about the schools in the eastern part of Ahwatukee, and was about to send my kids to a school with kids from a potentially bad neighborhood.

But even if those kids in that 20% are lower income kids who were always in that situation, and it's not because someone lost their job, I have nothing against my kids going to school with them, as long as they're from good families. My family was certainly not rich. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Catholic school I went to gave my father a break on tuition and lunch, because he had so many kids in the school, and he had a pretty modest city job salary.

But we all know there are cases where low income means trouble, really serious trouble. And I'm not going to pretend that's not true, at the expense of my kids, just so I don't upset people. That's why I asked the question, despite the fact that it's a sensitive issue. I think it's important to be respectful of other people and their siutuation, but when it comes to neighborhoods and schools, you can't mess around with political correctness. The stakes are too high.

That's not being a baby or a drama queen, that's being a responsible parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 AM

270 posts, read 698,373 times
Gsheridan, actually i did not find your original post offending. The fact that I homeschool says how I feel about schools in general. Of course we pay dearly in order to homeschool; I do not work for salary nor wage, therefore, when my husband got laid off last year, we immediately felt the impact.
I think since your kids do go to school, there is nothing wrong doing research and asking critical questions about the school. I know I would.
And I also agree with considering the background of my kids' future classmates/ schoolmates. When we sent our kids to school some years back, we bought a house in a good neighborhood that was well-kept, because we felt the well-being of a neighborhood reflects the type of people living within it.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM

13,950 posts, read 16,874,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
This is to address the 20% of kids applied/qulified for reduced/free lunch at that Kyrene school. Any kids whose parent's or guardian's yearly income falls below a set threshold could qualify for free or reduced lunch. for example, according to azcentral.com, "To be eligible for free lunches, a family of four must have an income of $27,560 a year or less. Families on food stamps are eligible for the program without having to apply." So if some kid's parents lost their jobs, the moment when they have less that $2000 cash in the bank, they would qualify for food stamps and school free meals for kids.
A more in depth article can be seen here Free-lunch program in Ariz. up 11.3% in year

You raise a really good point about the job losses, food stamps, etc. I looked around at some other schools in my end of the Kyrene district (east side) and found that the elem school just up the road from me, which is in a perfectly fine south Tempe area, has a 50 percent higher percentage on free or discounted lunch than Colina. In this economy, those statistics mean something completely different than they would during boom times.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM

137 posts, read 216,076 times
aiwei, I give you a lot of credit. I don't know how people do home schooling. I struggle just getting my oldest to do her homework when I want her to do it. I finally got her to do it immediately after school, but it took me all year long to win that battle. My second one just comes in and does it without any trouble - no fuss.

observer53, that's good to know. I guess it really is just a reflection of the times. That low Scottsdale number just threw me off. They must be surviving better than the rest up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area