U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM

17,593 posts, read 20,921,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have a Salt Water Pool - eliminates all the chlorine - we love it
A salt water pool eliminates having to add chlorine, but it does not eliminate chlorine. A salt water system produces chlorine gas. The sanitizing chemical (HCl) in the pool water is the same whether it is poured in as bleach or produced by electrolysis in a salt water system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,666,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
As for tossing in loads of chlorine every other day to keep it sparkling - YUCK! Swimming in chlorine and letting that poison into my skin and every pore in my body is NOT my idea of a good time.
Better not drink tap water, brush your teeth, take a shower or a bath then, as you'll have chlorine getting "into your skin and every pore in your body". LOL!
Quote:
Maintaining a pool in this heat and making sure you have tested the chlorine levels as recommended to keep it in perfect balance - two or more times a day - is just too much work for me.
It always amazes me how hard the anti-pool bigots try to talk everybody else out of pool -- even to the point of spreading ridiculous and inane misinformation.

Honestly it sounds like jealousy more than anything.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,019,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have a Salt Water Pool - eliminates all the chlorine - we love it
No it doesn't eliminate the chlorine...still has the exact same amount of chlorine that any none salt water pool would have. A chlorine generator makes the chlorine using electricity and the salt water.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
No it doesn't eliminate the chlorine...still has the exact same amount of chlorine that any none salt water pool would have.
Actually, because the generators maintain such a very steady flow of chlorine, many of us are able to set our chlorine levels lower than is typical with conventional pools where you add chlorine manually.

But I agree with the spirit of your post that chlorine is chlorine, regardless of whether it comes from a chlorine generator or manually added.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,019,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Actually, because the generators maintain such a very steady flow of chlorine, many of us are able to set our chlorine levels lower than is typical with conventional pools where you add chlorine manually.

But I agree with the spirit of your post that chlorine is chlorine, regardless of whether it comes from a chlorine generator or manually added.
I run my SWG for 8 hours, there are 24 hours in a day so there is nothing "steady" about the chlorine level for the other 16 hours of the day when the SWG is not active. If you run yours 24/7 then it may be steady?

The required chlorine level depends on your CYA level, however, the difference between the required chlorine level of a salt pool and non salt pool is only 2ppm at the most. 5ppm or 3ppm for a CYA level of 60, it's still chlorine and in a properly maintained pool you can't tell the difference between 5ppm and 3ppm without testing the water.

I run my Salt Water Pool at 3-4ppm (due to my CYA level of 70) and I'll bet there are many non salt water pools in here that run their chlorine level at 2ppm (at a CYA level of 30) so in my case I have more chlorine then they do.

Regardless, the point of my previous post was that a Salt Water Pool does not get rid of the chlorine as I hear so often.

Last edited by LBTRS; 07-30-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I run my SWG for 8 hours, there are 24 hours in a day so there is nothing "steady" about the chlorine level for the other 16 hours of the day when the SWG is not active. If you run yours 24/7 then it may be steady?
Unless someone is willing to drip chlorine into their pool for 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, then yes, a SWG is a far more stable delivery system. That's kind of the point of an SWG, and I'm surprised you disagree.
Quote:
The required chlorine level depends on your CYA level, however, the difference between the required chlorine level of a salt pool and non salt pool is only 2ppm at the most. 5ppm or 3ppm for a CYA level of 60, it's still chlorine and in a properly maintained pool you can't tell the difference between 5ppm and 3ppm without testing the water.
Using your figures, you've just stated that a pool without a chlorine generator needs almost 2-times the amount of chlorine than a pool with a generator. So you've actually proven my point. However, most of us with SWG's maintain 1 ppm which works fine. So that's 1/5th the amount of chlorine you say is necessary for a non-SWG pool.

BTW, IMO, you're over-chlorinating your pool.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 24,533,196 times
Quote:
No it doesn't eliminate the chlorine...still has the exact same amount of chlorine that any none salt water pool would have. A chlorine generator makes the chlorine using electricity and the salt water.
I was unclear in my post - sorry.

The Salt Water Pool eliminates the necessity to have to keep adding chlorine (that was the point I was responding too) all the time as the other poster was complaining about.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 AM

17,593 posts, read 20,921,990 times
I am a little disappointed in my SWG system. I find I have to clean the cell far more often that I expected to keep it free of calcium deposits. Admittedly, the water in my area is beyond hard and that is a factor. In addition, the SWG raises pH and I am back to having to add acid. On tri-tabs, the pH was more stable. I have turned the SWG off and now use it only for when I am away on vacation, longer weekends, and such. Hopefully, it will last longer too as it is very expensive to replace. As for the extra effort, yes there is a little. But it is not that hard to toss a few tabs in the skimmer or a floater once in a while. Just have to remember.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am a little disappointed in my SWG system. I find I have to clean the cell far more often that I expected to keep it free of calcium deposits. Admittedly, the water in my area is beyond hard and that is a factor. In addition, the SWG raises pH and I am back to having to add acid.
Sounds like you're not keeping on top of your pH. Even with hard water, you shouldn't be building up calcium deposits at an unreasonable rate.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM

25,100 posts, read 24,533,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sounds like you're not keeping on top of your pH. Even with hard water, you shouldn't be building up calcium deposits at an unreasonable rate.
I plead ignorance here because I have a pool service that services my pool on a weekly basis and does a good job.

Perhaps it would be best if the OP has a professional come out and "tune up" the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area