Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 PM

134 posts, read 348,072 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about the Ahwatukee neighborhood. What is it like? How much would a cab ride be from there to the airport?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Ahwatukee is a nice area, the original Ahwatukee is an older neighborhood now; to the south and west there are newer areas in areas known as the Foothills and Mountain Park Ranch.

Cabs are pretty expensive here generally, I can't give you a figure, as I don't take cabs here very often, and it somewhat depends on where exactly you are starting from. Are you talking about moving there and regularly going to the airport, or is this a one time deal?

Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 AM

19 posts, read 50,828 times
Depending on where in Ahwatukee, a cab will probably run you $30-$35 to the airport.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,052 times
Pics of Ahwatukee

http://foothillsprofessional.com/images/Building%20Photo.JPG (broken link)

http://www.got-rentals.com/m3/img/view_from_street.jpg (broken link)

http://www.desertwide.com/subdivisions/_CITIES/Ahwatukee/Homes-South-Moun.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
The further west of I-10 the better. Look on zillow.com and note the home prices. Looks like the houses go up to 7 figures in the foothills of South Mountain.

It's generally clean in Ahwatukee. Houses are nice from 50th westward. $150,000 range near 50th since it's closest to freeway (noise, pollution). Note there was an AZ republic article a year or two ago about the pollutants near freeways. So the further from them the better. Hence it gets better going west from I-10.

The Phoenix/Chandler nearby areas (Ray Road/I-10 intersections have the big chain restaurants (Red Lobster, Buca De Bepo, On The Border, Mimis, and so on). Nello's is a local good chain for pizza. Ra Sushi (I never went to the Ahwatukee one) is in the area. And Hooters!

Never took a cab to/from the airport. I paid more money (Supershuttle every two weeks or rent a car for a weekend, since I base my address in Ahwatukee but work 5 days a week out of state). But it's a quick ride if you go to/from at non-rush hour times. About 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertusernamehere View Post
Can someone tell me about the Ahwatukee neighborhood. What is it like? How much would a cab ride be from there to the airport?

Thanks!!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM

Additionally about Ahwatukee. It's a boring family place. But if you love solitude and the quiet that comes from boredom, you'd love it. I do. I work hard during weekdays and it's noisy in the apartment where I rent (out of Phoenix). I just love to get home to Phoenix and have the ability to breathe easy and slowly and relax on my leather sofa!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM

162 posts, read 543,103 times
just bought a house a few months ago a little s of warner near 36th st. So far we absolutely LOVE it. S mountain is almost our back yard. Watching the sun set behind the mtn is AWESOME.

Being in our mid 20's, my wife and I are by far the youngest ppl in our neighborhood, which is fine w/ us. Under "normal" market conditions, ppl our age aren't' supposed to afford a house in our neighborhood. The foreclosre we purchased was in pretty good shap, (hadn't been destructed) but was almost all original, about 22 yrs old. Since we purchased at 48% of what the previous owners did back in '06, we have since completly re-done the landscaping, back padio, removed a bunch of dated cabinets inside, re-painted everything, ect...After they finish sealing the tile on our back padio I will post some pics of our little back yard oasis; it turned our very nice!

We looked at some houses way out in S/E chandler, and in Gilbert, and while they were BRAND NEW, they were soooo far away from everything. Our same house in Chandler/Gilbert would have likely been 50-80K less. Location, location, location.

I work in biltmore area and it takes me about 25mins to get to work. However, I leave NO LATER then 6am. My wife works downtown at a hosipital and also leaves around 6am and it takes her about 20mins. She recently got a different job in paradise valley, (scottsdale rd and chaparell) that's more of an 8-5pm job, so her commute will likely double.

We have no complaints about Ahwatukee, its clean, safe and cose to downtown PHX, tempe, and the largest municipal park in the country is in our back yard. Resale value is all about location, and Ahwatukee def. has that. While house prices in satellite suburbs have plumited, central areas such as Tempe and Ahwatukee have maintained their value a little better. Rest assurred, when things do turn around central locations will appreciate much faster.

edit:
Be careful when looking at houses way out in Club West, (far W part of Ahwatukee) if your concerned about distance to work, ect...Once you get back behind S mountain that far, it takes quite awhile to get all the way to the E end of Ahwatukee exit on I-10. You can easily add 15mins to your commute. Also, Picos is going to eventually curve around S mountain to the West, and connect up w/ I-10, probably around 51st ave. When this does happen, they are going to have to crash down a bunch of houses in SW ahwatukee that are in the path of the new freeway....(nice planning city of Phoenix...LOL). Just so you don't fall in love w/ a house, then have a freeway in your back yard a few yrs later.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 AM

dbean, you and your wife made an excellant choice and I think got a good deal on buying the foreclosure ( I think it's near the bottom) at such a great age to buy a house. Congratulations!

And yeah, I'd caution anyone to avoid being near Pecos, where the new freeway extension would be near.

If you imagine a point at Ray and 42nd st. Then keep north of that while going westward, you are in good shape. Northwest of that area about a half mile or so you run into the hilly part and homes in the 7 figures.

Yup, scenery is great and it's clean. Watch out for bark scorpions though. You and the wife ought to consider getting a housecat or two.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Additionally about Ahwatukee. It's a boring family place. But if you love solitude and the quiet that comes from boredom, you'd love it. I do. I work hard during weekdays and it's noisy in the apartment where I rent (out of Phoenix). I just love to get home to Phoenix and have the ability to breathe easy and slowly and relax on my leather sofa!
I like the Suburban quality of life - good Parks nearby, easy access to stores and good restaurants, bars, clubs within the area. So I'd probably enjoy Ahwatukee, it feels so much different than the heart of Phx.!!!!!!!

Inner-city living would be good too but sometimes you take a chance in getting in a Gangbangers paradise or slum if you pick the wrong 'hood.

There seem to be lots of good older sections in Central and North Phx. that aren't ghettoish at all. Even some of the older sections of the South and West valley seem kinda quaint.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 AM

162 posts, read 543,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
dbean, you and your wife made an excellant choice and I think got a good deal on buying the foreclosure ( I think it's near the bottom) at such a great age to buy a house. Congratulations!

And yeah, I'd caution anyone to avoid being near Pecos, where the new freeway extension would be near.

If you imagine a point at Ray and 42nd st. Then keep north of that while going westward, you are in good shape. Northwest of that area about a half mile or so you run into the hilly part and homes in the 7 figures.

Yup, scenery is great and it's clean. Watch out for bark scorpions though. You and the wife ought to consider getting a housecat or two.
Yikes!! Better not let the wife read this part! Havn't seen any scorpions yet, but there are a TON of lizards running around. Just the other day, I went to get the mail, and upon returning, there was a 12" lizard crawling on our front door!! I've pulled a few out of our pool also, they must not be able to swim?

We actually kind of enjoy seeing them, they scatter as soon as they see you, so harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area