Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM

121 posts, read 546,009 times

Advertisements

HI all.

I'm looking into buying a home. My FIRST home. I am a single guy in the "near 30" age bracket. I work in Tempe and would like to buy a home. I do not want to be too far form work but I'd like to live in a quite community. (Quiet = no freeway noise, rowdy neighborhoods...mostly families even though I don't have one).

My goal is to get the most "bang for the buck" since I"d likely only buy a small ranch-style home at first and then once I am married, move elsewhere or at the very least into a larger home.

Which of these towns (Chandler, ideally 85224 or 85226....Gilbert, or south Tempe areas) will have the highest return on investment? I do not mind buying a fixer-upper and prefer older homes (see: "block") with character in a clean, quiet, area. I'm willing to give up some "quietness" for larger ROI when I go to sell since I will be alone and do not have kids or a wife to worry about.

Thanks for EVERYONE'S contributions to these threads. I hope some of you have some input.

P.S.: I've been working with an agent from Zip Realty who specializes in Tempe/Chandler/Mesa. She is AWESOME but I frankly prefer to get your opinions (on both the towns and even other stuff like preferred real estate agencies) so that I can determine if she's trying to sell me a bill of goods and unload certain properties.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
It seems to me like "getting the most bang for your buck" and "finding the best investment" are two different things. If you simply want the most house (measured in square feet), brand new, for the least price, then Queen Creek, or even into Maricopa or Casa Grande or even the Hunt Hwy area, god forbid, will have the best deal.

In terms of the best investment, buying into a neighborhood that isn't likely to be ghettoized any time soon, the Ocotillo section of Chandler, the parts of Gilbert closer to the 202, or South Tempe seem to be your best bets-- but also with the highest prices. I think the best indicator is the quality of retail in the area. Is is just fast food or are there upscale restaurants nearby?, etc. For example, there's a really beautiful, state of the art shopping center/offices complex off Alma School and Ocotillo Rd called The Falls. The developers wouldn't have built that if the demographics weren't there. Another example is the Casa Paloma shopping center by Ray Rd and 56th. Those neighborhoods should be pretty solid for years to come. If it's a well built, attractive home, it's probably a great buy. Cheaply built, funky looking homes will turn into the ghettoes of the future.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Yeah that's a good way to look at it. I'm looking near McClintock and Chandler Blvd in Chandler and Baseline/Guadalupe/Kyrene/Rural area of South Tempe...near Arizona Mills.

Any thoughts there?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
Yeah that's a good way to look at it. I'm looking near McClintock and Chandler Blvd in Chandler and Baseline/Guadalupe/Kyrene/Rural area of South Tempe...near Arizona Mills.

Any thoughts there?
The Tempe location you mentioned sounds like the neighborhood right next to Kiwanis park. I'd call that more "central" than "south" Tempe-- it's a 1970s era neighborhood. Generally, the area right around AZ Mills and the town of Guadalupe is not good; the square mile you are talking about is kind of a transition zone between that and a really nice, mature subdivision to the east (The Lakes). That could be a good starter home, especially if you want to remodel it, put some work in, turn it into a fixer-upper. I think I lot of these older ranch homes have a lot of potential. Unlike most 1990s-current era homes, the garages don't stick out and dominate the whole front end. The lots are better proportioned, shaped more horizontally (I find the contemporary narrow garage-scape lot that extends back far obnoxious). I picked up a flier in that neighborhood a month or so ago, they were asking for $300k for an "updated" 4 bed, 3 bath, 2 garage house.

McClintock and Chandler could be a good choice too. If I recall correctly, it sounds like an older (70s-80s) neighborhood surrounded by newer ones, near the Chandler Mall (that would qualify as the "upscale" retail I was talking about). Anything in Chandler should be a good buy as long as you stay away from the downtown area (on Arizona Ave between Ray and the 202), which has a lot of crime. I think for you it all depends on how new of house you want to buy... if you want a 90's era home with the stucco and pink tile roof, you'll have to go out further. I guess there are advantages both ways...

Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
HI all.

I'm looking into buying a home. My FIRST home. I am a single guy in the "near 30" age bracket. I work in Tempe and would like to buy a home. I do not want to be too far form work but I'd like to live in a quite community. (Quiet = no freeway noise, rowdy neighborhoods...mostly families even though I don't have one).

My goal is to get the most "bang for the buck" since I"d likely only buy a small ranch-style home at first and then once I am married, move elsewhere or at the very least into a larger home.

Which of these towns (Chandler, ideally 85224 or 85226....Gilbert, or south Tempe areas) will have the highest return on investment? I do not mind buying a fixer-upper and prefer older homes (see: "block") with character in a clean, quiet, area. I'm willing to give up some "quietness" for larger ROI when I go to sell since I will be alone and do not have kids or a wife to worry about.

Thanks for EVERYONE'S contributions to these threads. I hope some of you have some input.

P.S.: I've been working with an agent from Zip Realty who specializes in Tempe/Chandler/Mesa. She is AWESOME but I frankly prefer to get your opinions (on both the towns and even other stuff like preferred real estate agencies) so that I can determine if she's trying to sell me a bill of goods and unload certain properties.

Thanks!

Do some checking into S Gilbert around the area of the new San Tan mall for new construction. Plenty of subdivisions to choose from. They are going for this old fashioned look now with tree lined streets and old fashioned street lights, check it out.You will find some deals out there now. S Tempe is nice over by that Casa Paloma shopping but I think you'll pay more for a resale over there.

I agree with the other poster don't move near Az Mills or anywhere near the Town of Guadalupe. N Tempe is full of college kids and other trouble.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Do some checking into S Gilbert around the area of the new San Tan mall for new construction. Plenty of subdivisions to choose from. They are going for this old fashioned look now with tree lined streets and old fashioned street lights, check it out.You will find some deals out there now. S Tempe is nice over by that Casa Paloma shopping but I think you'll pay more for a resale over there.

I agree with the other poster don't move near Az Mills or anywhere near the Town of Guadalupe. N Tempe is full of college kids and other trouble.
Oh wow. See, I knew about Guadalupe area but had no idea Tempe went that much further south.

I would look at Gilbert in a heartbeat but the prices I"ve been seeing scare me away. I'm looking to spend 200-260k.

Do you have to know an east-west road that is the border of S. Tempe/Chandler? Ray Road, perhaps?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The Tempe location you mentioned sounds like the neighborhood right next to Kiwanis park. I'd call that more "central" than "south" Tempe-- it's a 1970s era neighborhood. Generally, the area right around AZ Mills and the town of Guadalupe is not good; the square mile you are talking about is kind of a transition zone between that and a really nice, mature subdivision to the east (The Lakes). That could be a good starter home, especially if you want to remodel it, put some work in, turn it into a fixer-upper. I think I lot of these older ranch homes have a lot of potential. Unlike most 1990s-current era homes, the garages don't stick out and dominate the whole front end. The lots are better proportioned, shaped more horizontally (I find the contemporary narrow garage-scape lot that extends back far obnoxious). I picked up a flier in that neighborhood a month or so ago, they were asking for $300k for an "updated" 4 bed, 3 bath, 2 garage house.

McClintock and Chandler could be a good choice too. If I recall correctly, it sounds like an older (70s-80s) neighborhood surrounded by newer ones, near the Chandler Mall (that would qualify as the "upscale" retail I was talking about). Anything in Chandler should be a good buy as long as you stay away from the downtown area (on Arizona Ave between Ray and the 202), which has a lot of crime. I think for you it all depends on how new of house you want to buy... if you want a 90's era home with the stucco and pink tile roof, you'll have to go out further. I guess there are advantages both ways...
Excellent points, thanks!

See my just-posted post re: what I originally thought of area along Arizona Mills.

I prefer 70s/80s (even 1960s) ranch style homes. I like the older look if it is in a well-kept area.

Any thoughts on Scottsdale (85251, 85257) near Tempe? I'm curious about quality of that neighborhood and ROI after having been there once.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:38 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Oh wow. See, I knew about Guadalupe area but had no idea Tempe went that much further south.

I would look at Gilbert in a heartbeat but the prices I"ve been seeing scare me away. I'm looking to spend 200-260k.

Do you have to know an east-west road that is the border of S. Tempe/Chandler? Ray Road, perhaps?
From all the Loan Agents in the Phoenix area that I provided technical help, I heard that in about 6 to 12 months the prices were supposed to go down where purchasing would be more suitable.

My question was, I would be looking to buy a house around $200K to $225K myself but I'd be OK with a smaller, nicer house that has preferably a 2-car garage, do you guys think that is possible now or several months down the line?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:

I think Tempe stretches as far as Mcclintock and then turns into Chandler and then I think Mcqueen and east is Gilbert. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously go check out some newer homes Higley to Power and S of Eliott. You can get something new in that price range. I think Khov has a community on Recker and Ray area in your price range.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I think Tempe stretches as far as Mcclintock and then turns into Chandler and then I think Mcqueen and east is Gilbert. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously go check out some newer homes Higley to Power and S of Eliott. You can get something new in that price range. I think Khov has a community on Recker and Ray area in your price range.
Pretty close-- Tempe goes as far north as McKellips, almost as far south as Ray, east to the 101, and west to I-10.

I totally agree-- Gilbert is probably THE up-and-coming city of the East Valley, along with Chandler (which is becoming built out). The area around the new San Tan Village (202 and Val Vista) seems to be the most promising. There's a development Andre might be interested in called Village at Spectrum, by Richmond Homes, just northeast of Pecos and Val Vista, selling in the $200s. They are building "new urbanist" style smaller starter homes, where the front entrance to the house is off a landscaped common area, and the garage is in an ally in the back. It's kind of similar to a townhouse complex, except you own a whole individual two story building. Due to the design, no individual yards, but a really nice communal park area and pool. Probably not the best thing if you have kids, but if you're a single it could be worth looking in to.

Hopefully I'll be able to buy a house/condo too within the next 5 years, so I'm thinking over these same exact questions too. I think Tempe is a great place to live when you're in college and renting-- centrally located, etc, but when you want to buy a home it's a different ball game. Why spend $300k for a home that's 30, 40 years old when you could buy a brand new home for less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area