U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Still waiting for those dramatically different things to do in Chicago! So far you've pointed out the lake and some buildings, LOL! And MLS (soccer)? I like soccer but it isn't particularly huge in the U.S. The Chicago Fire play in Toyota Park, which seats 20,000 for a sporting event, about the same for an ASU baseball or girl's softball game. Now, take me to a match at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City that seats over 110,000 and that is an INTERNATIONAL event! Hey but when the U.S. play Mexico at UofPhoenix stadium, nearly 70,000 people attended! Hmmm, testing the water for an expansion team?
I was at Toyota Park a few weeks ago. THe place was packed. The support for the Fire is tremendous. And if you really knew soccer, you'd know that international events that are held in Chicago are held at Soldier Field, and they fill that place from top to bottom. And I highly doubt that a girls ASU game packs 20K people in there. Heck, even the DoucheBacks dont draw those kind of crowds!

"Boring" Toyota Park:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/ToyotaParkconcourseNEcorner.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM

4,000 posts, read 5,904,014 times
Steve-o, still trying to stroke your Chicago ego??? LOL, yes I know Soldier Field held an international event, just like UofPhoenix stadium does here. But the attendance at Soldier Field was less than that of UofP. Also, the ASU girl's softball team was the 2008 College World Series softball champs AND almost were this year as well. They are HUGE here and have a large following but you are right, Packard Stadium and the Softball stadium fits in 2000-5000, oops I was SO wrong. We seat 80,000 fans for ASU football games at Sun Devil Stadium and the D-Backs seat on average over 31,000 fans. Watching the game now and it looks like they have 34,000 plus in attendance today. I love the D-backs but the first half of the season was notoriously bad! You are right there steve-o, but they are going to sweep the Mets, they are winning again today! 5-2!!! But when was the last time the Cubs won the World Serious? 1908...it's ok, I mean Boston eventually won right?

The D-backs have the 4th best record post the All-Star Break of 20-13 after the Angels, Yankees, and Phillies...looks like the Cubs lost to the Phillies tonight...ahhhh! To bad! 6-2 D-Backs over Mets so far! It was great winning the series 3-1 at Citi Field in NYC. All the NYers on the train today going to Chase were sure the Mets would get us back...don't think so!

Just a few pictures to give you a sense, I am torn when ASU plays USC (the crowd is louder here than at the Coliseum in L.A. but you know USC will almost always win, LOL):

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-11-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 PM

2,242 posts, read 3,901,648 times
White sox, Bulls, Cubs, Bears, Fire, BlackHAwks...
all have their own stadium

Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Fcorrales, thats a college stadium. Most of which are notoriously huge. But if you want to talk big stadiums, the Midwest once again trumps, especially Michigan and Penn State. Those stadiums make ASU look like a shoebox.

Next.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Fcorrales, thats a college stadium. Most of which are notoriously huge. But if you want to talk big stadiums, the Midwest once again trumps, especially Michigan and Penn State. Those stadiums make ASU look like a shoebox.

Next.
And Michigan and Penn State are in Chicago or Illinois??? Didn't think so... Hell, the Rose Bowl and Coliseum in L.A. are 20-30,000 seats bigger than Sun Devil Stadium but it is just as loud. I think Beaver Stadium (Penn State) is the largest stadium in the U.S. But Michigan, Ohio, and Penn have awesomely huge stadiums along with those in L.A. The Cowboys will also have a 100,000 capacity stadium this season! There is the stadium/arena for the Coyotes, Cardinals, D-Backs, Suns (each IS separate as well) and all the Spring Training Facilities where minor league, rookie league, fall league, and whatever league teams play in. They seat thousands of people, upward of 15,000. Next...

For comparison, Soldier Field (61,500), Uof Phx Stadium (72,200); U.S. Airways Center (18,422), United Center (21,711); Wrigley Field (41,118), Chase Field (49,033)...

Oh yeah...the D-Backs are 21-13, sneaking up on the Phillies for 3rd place during the second half of the season. Chase Field will be the site of the 2011 All-Star Game. We just had the Super Bowl and NBA All-Star Games here in Phoenix. We're up for another Super Bowl in the next few years and every year we have the Fiesta Bowl and Insight Bowl games. The Fiesta Bowl is the number 3 game on the BCS Championship Series after the BCS Championship Game and the Rose Bowl. Every February the Phoenix Open is the home of the largest PGA stop in the World. With crowds surpassing 200,000 every year. It is also known as golf's biggest, loudest, and wildest party where celebrities, international sponsors, night clubs, hotels/resorts, etc. throw enormous parties throughout Phoenix.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-11-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,136,082 times
Looks like this picture was taken when they were still constucting the stadium.

btw, if you look closely, the Arizona State SunPrunes softball team is engaging the Yuma A&T SunStroke Leatherbacks in the Softball College World Series. They're playing in the little dome so they don't get too warm. There's a little, yellowed sun-bleached banner on one of the cars that says, "Go Prunes! Beat 'em in 6. I need to get to the Early Bird Special!".

just j/k.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Looks like this picture was taken when they were still constucting the stadium.

btw, if you look closely, the Arizona State SunPrunes softball team is engaging the Yuma A&T SunStroke Leatherbacks in the Softball College World Series. They're playing in the little dome so they don't get too warm. There's a little, yellowed sun-bleached banner on one of the cars that says, "Go Prunes! Beat 'em in 6. I need to get to the Early Bird Special!".

just j/k.
LOL, the little dome is the ASU Wells Fargo arena and is where ASU Basketball is played. One of the largest college owned basketball arenas with room for nearly 18,000 people. Not so little. The Stadium was first built in the 20's, added on in the 50's, 70's, 80's, and final capacity in the 90's. There are plans to expand and upgrade the facility in the near future. AND the big rivalry that will be played at Sun Devil Stadium this year will be against the USC Trojans and the Univ. of Arizona Wildcats. The Softball College World Series wasn't played in Tempe this year and the College Baseball World Series was played in the Midwest in which ASU men's baseball was one series away from the title!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
LOL, the little dome is the ASU Wells Fargo arena and is where ASU Basketball is played. One of the largest college owned basketball arenas with room for nearly 18,000 people. Not so little. The Stadium was first built in the 20's, added on in the 50's, 70's, 80's, and final capacity in the 90's. There are plans to expand and upgrade the facility in the near future. AND the big rivalry that will be played at Sun Devil Stadium this year will be against the USC Trojans and the Univ. of Arizona Wildcats. The Softball College World Series wasn't played in Tempe this year and the College Baseball World Series was played in the Midwest in which ASU men's baseball was one series away from the title!
That must explain the large blue hue in the roof, possibly reflecting off the hair of the audience. I bet they really packed them in when Frieder was coaching at ASU. The world's largest card-counting and shady recruiting exposition.

In seriousness, that is somewhat interesting.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
That must explain the large blue hue in the roof, possibly reflecting off the hair of the audience. I bet they really packed them in when Frieder was coaching at ASU. The world's largest card-counting and shady recruiting exposition.

In seriousness, that is somewhat interesting.
LOL, probably...I'm sure the Sun City type find it comfortable in those raucous and rollicking venues! Bill Frieder coached at Michigan too didn't he? An alum of Michigan? Maybe he wanted to liken his shady recruiting to notoriously criminal and corrupt politics of Chicago in the form of Mayors Daley, "Big Bill" Thompson, and Harold Washington to name a few...

Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
LOL, probably...I'm sure the Sun City type find it comfortable in those raucous and rollicking venues! Bill Frieder coached at Michigan too didn't he? An alum of Michigan? Maybe he wanted to liken his shady recruiting to notoriously criminal and corrupt politics of Chicago in the form of Mayors Daley, "Big Bill" Thompson, and Harold Washington to name a few...
Easy there fcorrales... no need to get all pissy and confrontational. I was just bringing up a relevant reference point and adding a bit of light-hearted humor.

Yes, Frieder coached at Michigan. I don't believe he's an alum though. He was a not particularly liked at Michigan and was known for his Vegas junkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area