U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM

54 posts, read 65,886 times
Default Chicago? nah

Hey everybody...long time board stalker, first time poster. Im currently living chicago (born and raised), but am relocating to the PHX area between Xmas and New Years. I lived in El Pasa couple years back and desperately miss the nature and culture of the southwest. I cant wait to move back out to the area. One problem...there are so many damn neighborhoods to choose from. I was thinking Scottsdale or Tempe just for the fact it seems like its around a lot of nightlife. Im a single 28 year old guy and I will be working from home out there. From my board stalking I guess Mesa is not the greatest part of Phoenix to live in? What about downtown? I was thinking something close to the lightrail would be great for weekend activities. Chicago bores me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 PM

13,519 posts, read 15,611,119 times
I think you'd be fine in Tempe, Scottsdale, or downtown Phx. The light rail runs between downtown Tempe and downtown Phx, so I'd recommend either of those first... you can have the benefits of the nightlife in both without the hassle of driving.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,462,196 times
Since you will be working from home, you can live anywhere. What about the southwest do you like so much? Answering that question may help lead you to an answer for the "where to live" question. One thing I would say, if downtown Chicago bores you, then downtown Phoenix will really bore you. Also, just my opinion, El Paso is more like Tucson than Phoenix. If you liked El Paso a lot, you may want to also consider Tucson.
But Scottsdale, Tempe and Mesa all could be good places for you to live. As with any city, there are nicer neighborhoods and neighborhoods to consider avoiding. Downtown? There are folks on this board who will say that downtown Phoenix is the safest place in Phoenix to live. I personally don't believe that from my experiences downtown, but they have some data to back their claim, so who knows? Also, downtown Phoenix has surprising little to do when compared to other large cities, so don't expect it to be anything like downtown Chicago.
Phoenix is a great place to live, though. I hope you find the right place for you. Best of luck with your move!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,104,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think you'd be fine in Tempe, Scottsdale, or downtown Phx. The light rail runs between downtown Tempe and downtown Phx, so I'd recommend either of those first... you can have the benefits of the nightlife in both without the hassle of driving.
I have to agree.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,477,021 times
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or testing our intelligence, but to call Chicago "boring" and not Phoenix is irrational. I am a born and bred Midwesterner, Chicago is my "second" hometown, and know Chicago is an international city with a great lakefront, world-class architecture, awsome food, diversity, sports, etc. How can you call Chicago boring? If you thik Chicago is boring, Phoenix will put you into a coma. Chicago is everything Phoenix is not but desperatly wants to be. If its the desert southwest feel you like, fine, but to call Chicago "boring" is insane. Phoenix and the Valley will test you in every way. Trust me.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM

4,000 posts, read 5,913,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or testing our intelligence, but to call Chicago "boring" and not Phoenix is irrational. I am a born and bred Midwesterner, Chicago is my "second" hometown, and know Chicago is an international city with a great lakefront, world-class architecture, awsome food, diversity, sports, etc. How can you call Chicago boring? If you thik Chicago is boring, Phoenix will put you into a coma. Chicago is everything Phoenix is not but desperatly wants to be. If its the desert southwest feel you like, fine, but to call Chicago "boring" is insane. Phoenix and the Valley will test you in every way. Trust me.
Don't listen to this Michigander...he is a perpetual negative poster who doesn't understand that people don't have to like what he likes. Now I know what you mean about being bored with Chicago. I mean sure the architecture is cool and the lake is the lake but you can only look at the Sears...ah hem, Willis Tower for so long before it gets boring. Plus it isn't even half the height of the world's tallest building...boring.

The night clubs in Chicago are boring! Let's not kid ourselves here, Chicago is a big city but it isn't famous for nightlife, resort hoping, outdoor activities, etc. Downtown Phoenix doesn't have the height or density compared to being inside the loop, but there is just as much to do and the clubs are definitely larger and always full of people. My second favorite city is Seattle but the nightlife there puts me to sleep. Clubs in Seattle aren't full even on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights and it is a downer for sure. But then I guess I could stare at the water (Puget Sound or Lake Washington) and buildings...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-10-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 PM

I can see how the OP could be bored with Chicago, since he lived there his whole life and has seen "everything" probably twice or more. He probably wants to see something new, and the desert southwest certainly is different than the midwest.
As for what he'd like in Phoenix, I think a lot depends on what aspects of the southwest interest him. For example, if it is hiking and outdoors stuff that most interests him, the clubs may not matter.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I can see how the OP could be bored with Chicago, since he lived there his whole life and has seen "everything" probably twice or more. He probably wants to see something new, and the desert southwest certainly is different than the midwest.
As for what he'd like in Phoenix, I think a lot depends on what aspects of the southwest interest him. For example, if it is hiking and outdoors stuff that most interests him, the clubs may not matter.
He did mention the light rail and nightlife as being of interest and importance to him. In which case Uptown, Downtown, midtown, Tempe, etc. would be the best location for him. He can also take the scottsdale trolley from Tempe to Scottsdale and it is free.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Yeah, but it seems strange that he'd leave "boring" Chicago for the light rail and nightlife of Phoenix. It's hard to believe that Phoenix in that regard would be "less boring". He said he wanted to move here because he liked the southwest when he lived in El Paso for a short time. Was it the light rail and nightlife of El Paso that he liked so much? Or was it something else?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Yeah, but it seems strange that he'd leave "boring" Chicago for the light rail and nightlife of Phoenix. It's hard to believe that Phoenix in that regard would be "less boring". He said he wanted to move here because he liked the southwest when he lived in El Paso for a short time. Was it the light rail and nightlife of El Paso that he liked so much? Or was it something else?
He said the culture of the southwest and its surroundings interested him. My guess is that he likes the flora and fauna of the desert, the heat, the hispanic influence, hispanic food, mexican women/men (LOL), outdoor activities including hiking, swimming, etc is part of the draw. I'm sure the added value of the nightlife in Phoenix and proximity to light rail is just a bonus. Besides the clubs in Chicago cannot match the ambiance, energy, size, and abundance/variety of nightlife in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/Glendale. Chicago isn't known for its nightlife and Phoenix is as it is a byproduct of the tourist, resort, young newcomer, etc market in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area