Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Well, it is official. I am moving back to Phoenix September 1. I have been in Vegas for so long that I am not used to photo radar anymore. Not only that, my friend has told me they have even put them on the freeways. I have been researching for ways to avoid the tickets. I have two options....

The first one is pretty much 100% successful, but is more than I really want to spend at $179.00. I will buy it if I have too, but would rather buy the loover below since it is much cheaper at $53. Here is the trickplate which is the more expensive one...

YouTube - Wireless Flip Down License Plate

Learn How Our Satisfied Customers Are Using Their Trick Plate - Flip Down License Plate

Now, this is the cheaper one below. I am most interested in this because of the price. Does anyone use this, and have you been pulled over because of it? Is it effective? If not, I am going with the trickplate above.

Anti Photo Radar License Plate Cover

Now below is a third option that I found hilarious. I would not really do this but I found it funny so I thought I would post it.....

YouTube - 4409 -- SCAMERA head receives REDFLEX photo ticket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I've got a better, and MUCH cheaper idea:

DON'T SPEED

Simple

Clean

No muss

No fuss

OBTW - I'd be careful with these plate covers - some new legislation was passed outlawing them.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
You can still speed with the cameras, just keep it around 70, there is really no need for a higher speed on any local freeways anyways.

If you need to go faster, just know where the cameras are, and pay attention to the mobile units they move around every few days.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I've got a better, and MUCH cheaper idea:

DON'T SPEED

Simple

Clean

No muss

No fuss

OBTW - I'd be careful with these plate covers - some new legislation was passed outlawing them.

Thanks for the information on the plate cover, that is what I was afraid of. I am pretty sure the plate cover is effective, but if I got pulled over and ticketed for it, what is the point? Knowing this now, I am going to order the flip down plate tomorrow. As far as not speeding, or running red lights, that is now hard to do I have heard. I hear they are constantly changing speed limits and yellow light times. I just want to protect myself is all. Think about it, the plate pays for itself by just saving me on one ticket. I am going to Phoenix this weekend to visit, but I have Nevada plates, and I never changed my address since I last moved, so I will be safe. But, I am going to have to change my plates immediately when I move there.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You can still speed with the cameras, just keep it around 70, there is really no need for a higher speed on any local freeways anyways.

If you need to go faster, just know where the cameras are, and pay attention to the mobile units they move around every few days.
I will admit I am a little absent minded, and I find myself speeding even know I am not intending to. I got tons of the photo tickets when I was a courier in Phoenix years ago, and that was before they had cameras on the freeway. The difference is they were not cracking down on it back when I left in 2006 like they are now. In other words, I simply avoided the process servers as they did not leave tickets on the doorstep, or do alternate service, or anything like that. I have gotten better as far as slowing down compared to how I used to be, but I still am not perfect.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I will admit I am a little absent minded, and I find myself speeding even know I am not intending to. I got tons of the photo tickets when I was a courier in Phoenix years ago, and that was before they had cameras on the freeway. The difference is they were not cracking down on it back when I left in 2006 like they are now. In other words, I simply avoided the process servers as they did not leave tickets on the doorstep, or do alternate service, or anything like that. I have gotten better as far as slowing down compared to how I used to be, but I still am not perfect.
If you rack up enough of these citations, they will send actual officers to your house I believe.

What I would do if I was you is get a nice GPS that allows you to put in the camera info, it will let you know when you are approaching the permenant cameras, but you're out of luck for the mobile units.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
Smile Red light camera countermeasures

There's a new review of red light (speed) camera detector: http://www.radartest.com/RedLightCamDetectorTest.asp

And a few high-end radar detectors with superior K- and Ka-band sensitivity are effective at countering the mobile camera vans.

Last edited by radarmaven; 08-11-2009 at 07:10 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
If you rack up enough of these citations, they will send actual officers to your house I believe.
How is that any different from having process servers show up? You don't have to answer the door for the police anymore than you do for the process servers. I'd ignore both.

I rarely drive, but when I do, I just put my sun visor down when I approach the cameras and make sure my face is behind it. On my motorcycle, which is my main transp., it's very easy to ride between the sensor wires in the road so the cameras never see me. Radar detector works for the mobile units.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM

114 posts, read 425,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
How is that any different from having process servers show up? You don't have to answer the door for the police anymore than you do for the process servers. I'd ignore both.

I rarely drive, but when I do, I just put my sun visor down when I approach the cameras and make sure my face is behind it. On my motorcycle, which is my main transp., it's very easy to ride between the sensor wires in the road so the cameras never see me. Radar detector works for the mobile units.
ok. so if they can't see your face or it's obvious it' not the registered owner. What are you to do? I don't want to pay the ticket, but what can they do to me/what happens?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
I've never gotten one in AZ. My guess is you'll get the ticket mailed to you and be told to rat out whomever was behind the wheel. I'd either ignore it or put down some bogus info on a friend of mine from abroad. My mom actually ratted me out on a photo ticket I got in her car in Wash. DC. Still, I never got any notice about it thereafter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area