Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagirl99 View Post
Thanks! Please keep the suggestions coming. Looks like we need to stay until at least the weekend (Friday to Friday) huh. I really like the resort idea too. I was out in Phoenix for a work convention at the Desert Ridge Marriott last June. It was pretty nice. Are there better? The Marriott will be pretty pricey from Friday to Friday I suspect.
Depends on budget concerns but there is certainly nicer resorts; The Royal Palms, The Phoenician, The Biltmore, The Boulders, The W Hotel and Resort, Fairmont Scottsdale, Four Seasons at Troon North, The Sanctuary...etc. And actually the summer rates, especially in August, might be quite competitive at all the resorts. I would compare as many as possible to get the best deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,270 times
We have some great eats out here as well....I also heard rates at the Scottsdale Fairmont(formerly the "Princess" resort)were decent in the summer.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagirl99 View Post
Thanks! Please keep the suggestions coming. Looks like we need to stay until at least the weekend (Friday to Friday) huh. I really like the resort idea too. I was out in Phoenix for a work convention at the Desert Ridge Marriott last June. It was pretty nice. Are there better? The Marriott will be pretty pricey from Friday to Friday I suspect.
You might be surprised. There are some amazing deals in the summer. Desert Ridge is nice, and next to one of the nicer shopping areas in Desert Ridge Marketplace, but it's pretty remote from downtown and Scottsdale. My favorites are the Hyatt Gainey, the Phoenician, and the Royal Palms.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
A trip to the Grand Canyon is possible, but doing it in a day would be pretty draining and you would be too rushed and tired to enjoy yourself. I would only recommend that trip if it was really high on your priority list and you were willing to spend at least one night up there. If you decide to take that trip there are lots of interesting stops along the way.

Most people that visit the Canyon are only there for a short while. They snap some pictures and wonder what to do next. You should hike a ways into the canyon, like maybe to Cedar Ridge on the South Kaibab Trail, to get away from the crowds and get some perspective. If you are really ambitious then Phantom Ranch at the bottom is a great place to stay.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,619 times
Here's the place to eat in Flagstaff (you may have seen it on "Triple D", as well):

Brandy's Restaurant - Flagstaff, AZ

As for resorts, the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak is OK, but they'll be tons of kids because of the water park. The Millenium Resort in Scottsdale is quite nice. It's a little on the old side, but I enjoyed my stay. I have not stayed at any other resorts. I think The Biltmore must be nice: it's where the President stays whenever he's in town.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
definitely DO NOT drive to the Grand Canyon and on to somewhere else in one day.....please take time up there, hike the rim, go down into the canyon a ways on a trail (the entire mood changes below the rim), watch a sunrise or sunset, sit and enjoy it....well worth it....you can stay in the Park itself at a concessionaire-run hotel or in Tusayan outside the Park at one of several expensive motels....or in Flagstaff.....prices up there will be high as it's summer...will be crowded....

but hotel prices in Phx area will be a relative bargain as it's off-season.....look at priceline, orbitz, etc for rates and/or call the resorts and ask if they have any specials or promotions......

many great restaurants out here.....Butterfield's for a casual good regular breakfast or lunch joint in Scottsdale....Roaring Fork is cool for happy hour and a Big Ass Burger in the bar...go between 4 and 6pm on a weekday and try to get a seat in the bar as you watch all the big shots and wannabes....but it is a friendly, classy mood - not stuffy....Sugar Bowl in downtown Scottsdale for an old-fashioned ice cream place while shopping in that area

Heard Museum, Taliesin are good places for history.....

if wanting upscale shopping in Scottsdale, hit Fashion Square, Waterfront, and all the old shops right in downtown Scottsdale - block after block.....but it will be sort of quiet as the high season here is about Dec-April.....

Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 AM

7 posts, read 18,291 times
(I'm an Arizona native) Something to think about is a Jeep Tour. Up in Sedona there's a company called "Pink Jeep Tours" they have a whole range of different tours you can go on. If you don't go to Sedona I'm sure there's other Jeep tours here in the Phoenix area that have excursions in the outlying desert areas (check google). I think it's a neat thing to do because Arizona deserts are beautiful and there's things that grow here such as Saguaro cactus' that don't grow anywhere else in the world. The time of year you'll be here it's starting to cool down too - so it shouldn't be too hot. They may even have night time rides that would be neat too. Lots of animals come out at night in the desert - you may see something neat! I think it would probably be a fun experience.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,823 times
http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/papago-sunset-red-rock.jpg (broken link)

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/papago-trees-sunset.jpg (broken link)

For the time you spend in Phoenix, combine a trip to the Phoenix Zoo with a leisurely hike through Papago Park (photos above) right next door (the zoo is in Papago Park). Papago is one of the most striking natural features of Phoenix.

You can do a leisurely horseback trail ride through South Mountain Park / Preserve, another one of Phoenix's major natural attractions. The evening is the best time in my opinion (cooler, sunset colors) (they have 6pm trail rides). The ranch is located at the Central Ave. entrance to South Mountain Park and is a great way to tour it! Here is a link to the horse ranch site. The photo below shows "This Is Scorpion Gulch" an abandoned building at the entrance to South Mountain Park Preserve.s
Just be sure to keep yourselves well hydrated and wear jeans and shoes or sneakers (no open toes) if you plan to horseback riding in South Mountain--lots of cactus and rough brush. I have plenty of photos of attractions in Phoenix at abqstyle.com

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/scorpion-gulch-1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Design7; 08-13-2009 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppervista View Post
(I'm an Arizona native) Something to think about is a Jeep Tour. Up in Sedona there's a company called "Pink Jeep Tours" they have a whole range of different tours you can go on. If you don't go to Sedona I'm sure there's other Jeep tours here in the Phoenix area that have excursions in the outlying desert areas (check google). I think it's a neat thing to do because Arizona deserts are beautiful and there's things that grow here such as Saguaro cactus' that don't grow anywhere else in the world. The time of year you'll be here it's starting to cool down too - so it shouldn't be too hot. They may even have night time rides that would be neat too. Lots of animals come out at night in the desert - you may see something neat! I think it would probably be a fun experience.

Great idea! I saw those jeeps when we went to Sedona for a wedding. Sedona is my most favorite place in AZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area