Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

As for the dumb statement that you aren't welcomed if you don't speak spanish in some Phoenix neighborhoods is ridiculous and wrong. Also "west phx native," the problem with the he is arresting illegals comment is that the lawsuits he loses aren't filed by illegals BUT by legal, American born, english speaking citizens...
I will stand by my statement, and I am native, born and raised and living in far West Maryvale. My nephew goes to same school I went to, and half his day is lost to illegals who do not speak english. He is also harassed because he is white, and the majority in the school is now mexican. What used to be Westridge mall is now illegal central. Neighborhoods where I used to ride my bike into to see friends, I no longer drive into in a car.
Anything that makes life tough on illegals is fine by me.
What part of ILLEGAL, do people not understand ?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
"Sheriff Joe himself said that his jails are to punish"

Good for him! Too often, prison's are more like resorts than anything else.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Joe Rally

YouTube - The Association: Joe Arpaio and Neo-Nazi friendship exposed!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I will stand by my statement, and I am native, born and raised and living in far West Maryvale. My nephew goes to same school I went to, and half his day is lost to illegals who do not speak english. He is also harassed because he is white, and the majority in the school is now mexican. What used to be Westridge mall is now illegal central. Neighborhoods where I used to ride my bike into to see friends, I no longer drive into in a car.
Anything that makes life tough on illegals is fine by me.
What part of ILLEGAL, do people not understand ?
What part YOU don't understand is that these people are not mostly illegal. Hell MOST of them ARE not ILLEGAL. That is bigoted. My family is native born Arizonan since 1921, before then my roots stretch back to New Mexico and Texas...this is true for many brown, hispanic, spanish speaking people in Phoenix that you think are illegal because they/we "look" illegal. Do you check for our birth certificates or green cards??? I didn't think so.

I also have family in Maryvale, in the middle, far West, South and all over the metro area. Kids in school in those areas have friends of many races including white. They might not be making fun of him for being white but maybe for having your racist attitude. Also, Maryvale is heavily hispanic, black and lower income WHITE! There is NO neighborhood in Phoenix that is completely "run" or inhabited by one particular race/ethnicity. There is no Compton, South Central equivalent in Phoenix to that degree. . What part of legal don't you get? Also, teaching and speaking spanish in classrooms in Arizona isn't legal so I don't see how your "white" relatives are bothered by Spanish in school.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"He hasn't really investing in an "educational program" as you insinuate because people do not general remain in county custody for more than 8 months."

You do realize that the "Judicial Branch of Arizona, Maricopa County" has education centers and teachers on payroll, right? In many cases, one is not allowed an early release from prison unless they've completed a certain amount of education courses.
I know this because I have a friend who is a teacher at one of the Maricopa County prisons.
There is NO such thing as a Maricopa County prison. There are Arizona State Department of Correction facilities that are prisons but none run by Maricopa County. Your friend works for the state prison system NOT the county.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
"Sheriff Joe himself said that his jails are to punish"

Good for him! Too often, prison's are more like resorts than anything else.
LOL, first you praise Joe for a "rehabilitation" program like education, which isn't a resort like experience for anyone in jail or prison, but then twists words to make is seem like jail is fun or a resort experience. LOL Not to mention that you spoke about studies that say educational programs reduce ricidivism, but when told that sheriff joe considered that a rehabilitation program and not a "punishment" program you still praise him for doing the opposite of what you praised before...he is really out of touch and you are buying it.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM

"these people are not mostly illegal. Hell MOST of them ARE not ILLEGAL."

That's a really good point. Unfortunately, because it's hard to tell who is legal or not, too many legal U.S. citizens get catagorized as illegal just because of how they look, talk or dress, etc.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

"There is NO such thing as a Maricopa County prison. There are Arizona State Department of Correction facilities that are prisons but none run by Maricopa County. Your friend works for the state prison system NOT the county."

I guess I meant she works for a prison within Maricopa County. You are correct, the county does not employ her. However, it should be noted, within the state justice department, each county has sub-departments.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
"these people are not mostly illegal. Hell MOST of them ARE not ILLEGAL."

That's a really good point. Unfortunately, because it's hard to tell who is legal or not, too many legal U.S. citizens get catagorized as illegal just because of how they look, talk or dress, etc.
Very true ritchie...OH, way off topic but I AM loving my photography class! Thanks for the advice earlier; I think it was you...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM

I think prison can be a punishment and a place where one can be educated so one can land back on their feet and make a new start when that punishment is over. I don't think they have to be seperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area