U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 PM

130 posts, read 301,861 times
Default Camera Traffic Ticket UPDATE

Hi, guys, just wanted to let some of you know, like I promised, the outcome. For any of you who didn't read or forgot, my circumstances were this. I got a red light summons for going through a red light on the Union Hills intersection up by the 101. I was in the righthand lane of a two lane turning system. I was approx. the 7th car back and when I went through the light, the arrows were green. My lane of traffic stopped as people in the left lane have to merge into the right lane to proceed on to the 101 on the next corner. While I was in the middle of the box, the light turned red, like I said, I was the last car to make it around, and the cameras went off. It did not involve speeding of any kind as it reads I was going 12 mph in a 45 mph zone. I have only gotten two tickets in my whole entire life, this being one of them. I don't speed ever.

It shows what I say to be true in the videos. Anyway, my husband called and pleaded but to no avail. This happened in mid April. I live in both New York and Arizona and my car is registered in New York, so that is where the summons was sent. No one knows of my Arizona address, so no hand delivery would be possible. I didn't know at the time if the would connect by states with law enforcement here or not. But no one came for anyone's information. I checked it online and it was reading that no one showed up at the hearing held in June. I figured when my 120 days would be up and it would be Sept. 11th.

But when I returned from Arizona yesterday I got a notice in the mail. It reads: State of Arizona vs. "ME", and gives the case number and such. It says it is an order of Dismissal for a Photo Enforcement Citation. It reads: It appearing that the above citation was not properly completed, served, or filed with the court, or that the case will proceed with a substitution of defendant by nomination, and other good cause appearing, IT IS ORDERED to dismiss the above citation. Defendant does not need to appear in court or otherwise to respond to the citation, and then it is signed by the Judge.

As I had said in an earlier post that went on for pages and pages with people talking about the cameras and their tickets, this caused me such grief. If I could have paid the citation, I would have. That was not the problem. I am not rich by any means and the $500+ dollars it would have cost me, would have been easier than the anxiety and grief this ticket caused me. I have not driven in the state of Arizona since receiving it and don't know if I ever will. We avoid that intersection, my husband and myself, like the plague. We even have set our speedometer back a few numbers just in case the cameras should not match our car, meaning if it reads 65 mph on our speedometer, it really is about 62. Yes, we have become most of your nightmare drivers as a result, just to avoid ever having to go through this again. My problem, as you might recall, was that I had to take parts I and II in either a life insurance office or a law office as we don't have Kinko's around here where we live and it had to be done in the presence of a notary. It became so complicated, that I decided to let this take it's course and see where it went. For all of you who hate the people who avoid the paying of the tickets, I can assure you, I have learned my lesson, which is ultimately what the ticket is supposed to do, although I still don't understand how one is supposed to know when the light is going to change, if you are in the middle of turning, which I was, and which even the person who answered the phone at the Municipal Court could not give my husband an answer to. Anyway, like I said, I had promised in the other thread to let anyone know what happened as I lived out of state and there were a few of you as well who didn't know what to expect. As I said, still not sure if I will leave all the driving in Arizona now to my husband, as these camera tickets make me a little paranoid!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 20,072 times
Hii This is Smith here, actually i recently got a flashed in Arizona while driving. I was on US 93, towards Las Vegas..it was a long weekend and i had a rental car...my speed was between 80 to 85..but the speed limit was 65..i had no idea that there was a stationary camera which flashed on me. So now the question is
1. How will that ticket come to me?
2. In how many days?
3. Can i challenge it?
4. And lastly how can i come out of this sitution?
5. Will they ask me to go to the court? and if yes will that be in California or Arizona. because i stay in Fremont California.
If someone can help me in this and also if someone have any more information abt this plz do share that with me, as i never got any ticket and have no idea abt this..
This is my e-mail id (smith.simpson0@gmail.com) plz mail me because i am eager to know the consequence.

Thanks Smith

Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,252,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post

. . . For all of you who hate the people who avoid the paying of the tickets, I can assure you, I have learned my lesson, which is ultimately what the ticket is supposed to do, although I still don't understand how one is supposed to know when the light is going to change, if you are in the middle of turning, which I was, and which even the person who answered the phone at the Municipal Court could not give my husband an answer to. Anyway, like I said, I had promised in the other thread to let anyone know what happened as I lived out of state and there were a few of you as well who didn't know what to expect. As I said, still not sure if I will leave all the driving in Arizona now to my husband, as these camera tickets make me a little paranoid!
I'm glad this worked out for you. By the way, no court employee who answers the phone at any court is going to be able to, or is expected to, or for that matter is ALLOWED to, interpret the law for you or explain how it is that what happened with you violates the law. So, to say that "even" the court employee couldn't explain it to you-- well, it should have been no surprise.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM

203 posts, read 557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith.simpson0 View Post
Hii This is Smith here, actually i recently got a flashed in Arizona while driving. I was on US 93, towards Las Vegas..it was a long weekend and i had a rental car...my speed was between 80 to 85..but the speed limit was 65..i had no idea that there was a stationary camera which flashed on me. So now the question is
1. How will that ticket come to me?
2. In how many days?
3. Can i challenge it?
4. And lastly how can i come out of this sitution?
5. Will they ask me to go to the court? and if yes will that be in California or Arizona. because i stay in Fremont California.
If someone can help me in this and also if someone have any more information abt this plz do share that with me, as i never got any ticket and have no idea abt this..
This is my e-mail id (smith.simpson0@gmail.com) plz mail me because i am eager to know the consequence.

Thanks Smith

whats to challenge?? you said you did it.

just pay the fine!! dont speed and you wont have this problem.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 20,072 times
But sir what is the procedure. then how will that ticket come to me etc...i mean can u plz explain me a little bit more..as it was not my own car, it was a rental one. and what will be the fine amount approx. if u have any idea.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 PM

270 posts, read 684,258 times
The rental car company probably would get the ticket and when they match it up to your rental agreement, they might forward it to you. If that happens, let's hope it gets to you before deadline to pay or court date.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith.simpson0 View Post
But sir what is the procedure. then how will that ticket come to me etc...i mean can u plz explain me a little bit more..as it was not my own car, it was a rental one. and what will be the fine amount approx. if u have any idea.

The fine is $181, but you have nothing to worry about. The ticket will go to the rental car company, and they may or may not give it to you. If you get the ticket, just ignore it, and do not respond to it in any way. Since you live in Cali, they will not send a process server out, and it will be dismissed.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 PM

17,384 posts, read 21,409,465 times
I used to work here for the County. All of the police and court systems are tied together by computer now. I can tell you, an unpaid fine will haunt you. I can't tell you the number of people that came in with problems.

For instance.

A guy come in to renew drivers license and they blocked him. He came down to us to ask what he could do. He had an unpaid speeding ticket in another state a thousand miles away. State would not give him a drivers license until ticket was paid and he showed proof. Ticket was for 10 over.

Another resident came in with about the same problem. Ticket in another state. State would not renew his license until ticket was paid and he showed proof. Ticket was for coasting through a stop sign.

The states are all tied together these days. They don't have to pay somebody to track you down. They just wait until you need them.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM

7,815 posts, read 15,258,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I used to work here for the County. All of the police and court systems are tied together by computer now. I can tell you, an unpaid fine will haunt you. I can't tell you the number of people that came in with problems.
Thanks for the very informative update, ElkHunter.

Am I the only one on here amazed at how much time and energy many of these "caught red handed" drivers waste when they know full well they are guilty as charged?

What ever happened to the adult approach of "owning the problem" and just pay the damn ticket?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM

10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

For instance.

A guy come in to renew drivers license and they blocked him. He came down to us to ask what he could do. He had an unpaid speeding ticket in another state a thousand miles away. State would not give him a drivers license until ticket was paid and he showed proof. Ticket was for 10 over.

Another resident came in with about the same problem. Ticket in another state. State would not renew his license until ticket was paid and he showed proof. Ticket was for coasting through a stop sign.

The states are all tied together these days. They don't have to pay somebody to track you down. They just wait until you need them.
You are totally correct, except in the fact that this is a "photo" ticket, not a real ticket by an officer. These tickets only became valid if they are properly served. If they are not properly served, they can not penalize you in any way. Look at the monkey photo thread here...

Making a "monkey" out of freeway radar cameras

This guy got 90 of these tickets and still they have not even prosecuted him on even 1 of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area