U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you care if the Coyotes were to move?
Yes 24 53.33%
No 21 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,248,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
you don't have any frozen water in philadelphia
Philly has really cold winters, with snow on top of that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,549,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Do any of you Phoenix citizens care or have any concern with the current state of your hockey team? Is the case with balsillie being televised, shown in the newspaper/media at all? Would you care if the Coyotes were to move?
I want the Coyotes to stay in the Valley

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Why was the stadium not built closer to downtown Phoenix? Did they have the Glendale stadium built before knowing they'd get an NHL club?
The Stadium was built for the team.

It is very easy to get to - and is supported by the many ancillary businesses that cater to the Coyotes and Cardinals.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,924,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The Stadium was built for the team.

It is very easy to get to - and is supported by the many ancillary businesses that cater to the Coyotes and Cardinals.
Easy to get to for about half the Valley's population. If it had been built in Gilbert you could say the same thing, just the other half.

It would have made a lot more sense to be downtown, in South Scottsdale or in Tempe, closer to the population center.

I go to downtown events frequently (Diamondbacks games, Green Day on Saturday, Dodge Theatre several times a year), to Tempe and Scottsdale somewhat less and yet I haven't yet found anything compelling enough to get me to go that far west. (Almost went to see Dylan at Camelback Ranch but it was cancelled.) I can imagine how East Valley people must feel about the drive. Cardinals games, since there are only 8 regular season games are considerably easier to draw a crowd for.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM

17,597 posts, read 20,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Easy to get to for about half the Valley's population. If it had been built in Gilbert you could say the same thing, just the other half.

It would have made a lot more sense to be downtown, in South Scottsdale or in Tempe, closer to the population center.

I go to downtown events frequently (Diamondbacks games, Green Day on Saturday, Dodge Theatre several times a year), to Tempe and Scottsdale somewhat less and yet I haven't yet found anything compelling enough to get me to go that far west. (Almost went to see Dylan at Camelback Ranch but it was cancelled.) I can imagine how East Valley people must feel about the drive. Cardinals games, since there are only 8 regular season games are considerably easier to draw a crowd for.
Downtown is hard to get to for everyone unless they live near there. It's always a hassle for us. One way streets, lights, pedestrians, parking garage or rip off lots. Getting home is a nightmare with gridlock in every direction. Jobbing is on the freeway. You drive 70 mph all the way there, get off on a modern ramp and go straight to the spacious parking - ez out too. I bet its quicker to/from jobbing (front door to stadium seat) than it was to America West from Scottsdale and Gilbert even though it is further.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,924,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Downtown is hard to get to for everyone unless they live near there. It's always a hassle for us. One way streets, lights, pedestrians, parking garage or rip off lots. Getting home is a nightmare with gridlock in every direction. Jobbing is on the freeway. You drive 70 mph all the way there, get off on a modern ramp and go straight to the spacious parking - ez out too. I bet its quicker to/from jobbing (front door to stadium seat) than it was to America West from Scottsdale and Gilbert even though it is further.
Downtown is surrounded by freeways. Sounds like you might have a phobia about downtown. One way streets are not exactly rocket science. I did not always live near downtown, have had Diamondbacks season tickets since the first year and drove from the suburbs. Once I figured out what I was doing it was simple. I take the light rail usually now but when I don't, I am able to park for $5 about a 10 minute walk from the stadium. The only bottlenecks I have seen getting out are inside the huge parking structures right next to the stadium. Park a couple of blocks away and it is not only cheaper but no traffic problems.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 9,866,363 times
i find it much easier to get to venues in tempe than downtown

Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Easy to get to for about half the Valley's population.
I live some 40 miles EAST of Apache Junction.

I go to most games.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Philly has really cold winters, with snow on top of that.
as an upstate NY native, who has lived in philly and mpls it's a hard stretch to say their winters are "really cold"

Philadelphia gets about 20" of snow per year, with the bulk coming in dec., jan. & feb - there really isn't much before or after that time frame, for some reason there is always a march storm but that never sticks and anything aside from that is basically flurries

Those 3 months are also the only months where the average high doesn't hit 50 .... however, the average highs are in the 40s which pretty much mean everything is melting when it does happen

I would of rather of had the snow of upstate NY when I was there - i find it more pleasant than being 42, with a cold rain and a brisk wind which is what you get a lot of in philly

back home we would have frozen ponds, lakes and outdoor rinks ...... you didn't really have that in philly, it's telling that with the popularity of the sport there and the # of universities in the area that it's pretty much a club sport on the collegiate level with everyone pretty much using the ice at UPenn

however, for hockey we know that the cold is much more important than snow ....... in fact, dry & cold often works best for outdoor ice

in mpls you have an average high of 40 in november, 28 in december, 24 in january, 29 in february and 42 in march with average lows that run about 10-15 degrees cooler ........ that was a place where I saw hockey rinks everywhere (as well as ice fishing and all the other ice & snow related things)

Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM

btw, to put the 20" of annual snowfall in philly in perspective

syracuse has 3 months with more than 20" per month on average, buffalo has 2 months with over 20" per month (but over 90" in annual snowfall), mpls has about 50" per year and it sticks around due to the cold, amarillo TX gets 16" per year, lynchburg VA gets 18" per year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area