U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 34,091 times
Default Traffic on 17?

I'll be flying up to Phoenix on Sunday (one-way), and will be moving there once my house sells in Phoenix.

One area that my wife and I considered was Anthem (and surrounding areas) since my job is located near 17 hwy and 101 hwy in Deer Valley (?).

So that pretty much rules out Chandler/Gilbert and we're focusing our search more on the northern/western sides of town.

But one thing I was curious about was some references I saw regarding traffic on Hwy 17. Since it's pretty much the only way to get to Anthem and areas north of town, I'd heard that it's a wall of cars during rush hour. I also read somewhere that there were plans to widen it.

So, two questions - is there a lot of traffic on 17 during rush hour, and are there plans to widen it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM

10,485 posts, read 13,597,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
I'll be flying up to Phoenix on Sunday (one-way), and will be moving there once my house sells in Phoenix.
I am confused.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 AM

15,860 posts, read 18,628,631 times
Quote:

One area that my wife and I considered was Anthem (and surrounding areas) since my job is located near 17 hwy and 101 hwy in Deer Valley (?).

So that pretty much rules out Chandler/Gilbert and we're focusing our search more on the northern/western sides of town.

But one thing I was curious about was some references I saw regarding traffic on Hwy 17. Since it's pretty much the only way to get to Anthem and areas north of town, I'd heard that it's a wall of cars during rush hour. I also read somewhere that there were plans to widen it.

So, two questions - is there a lot of traffic on 17 during rush hour, and are there plans to widen it?
Yes there is a wall of traffic. They are in the process of widening it right now. There will still be a wall of traffic when the widening is complete (it'll briefly improve a little, but then get overloaded again by new growth - its a Phoenix Phenom). I wouldn't let that discourage me. The main advantage to Phoenix is that it is so nice when you get out of it. Anthem is almost out of it already making it a desirable place to be. On the other hand, if you like restaurants, sports or cultural events that the city offers, then Anthem is not very convenient to that.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am confused.
His "bio" says he's from Tulsa. What confuses me is how one flies "up" to Phoenix from Tulsa. I fly to Tulsa and I think of flying "over" or "up" myself. Phoenix is south of Tulsa so one should fly "down".

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 AM

13,505 posts, read 15,580,776 times
I'd skip Anthem (and the I-17) and be looking west of the work location, to the fart northern parts of Peoria/Glendale. Some very nice areas there.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM

One more thing about Anthem. You may end up paying exorbitant amounts for water and sewer there unless you have city of Phoenix water (west side of I10). The private water company is attempting to collect on debts owed for building the water system. I haven't heard much about this since last year, but the rate increases being considered were staggering.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM

157 posts, read 252,646 times
I would suggest in looking at communities like Fireside at Norterra which is much closer to I-17 and 101

Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,925,588 times
Quote:

Pondy is right. Widening is underway, but it will probably provide only temporary relief. People will see the smoother traffic flow, convince themselves that living so far out on the fringes isn't so bad after all, move to Anthem, and then create new levels of traffic congestion. Like they say on Battlestar Galatica, "This has all happened before and will all happen again" --unless some sort of peak oil scenario forces permanent changes in where people live. At this point, I'd give that scenario 50/50 odds.

With all that in mind, I think that when work is located on the fringes of town, it's never a good idea to commute from even farther out on the fringes. Even if I-17 traffic experiences miraculous long-term relief, you'll still be in a difficult situation if your employer ever relocates or if you or someone in your household finds employment on the other side of town. Instead, I'd reiterate suggestions from others to look for something along the 101. Personally, I'd even stay inside the 101, but your preferences may be more suburban.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,458,665 times
"to the fart northern parts"

You said fart.

Seriously, though, Glendale and Peoria is my suggestion.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:03 AM

76 posts, read 112,475 times
Before I moved, I lived in Sonoran Mountain Ranch. It's off of 67th Avenue, about three miles north of Happy Valley. It was absolutely gorgeous there. I recommend going there instead of Anthem. You get the desert quiet and don't have the traffic issues. While the roads are limited now, the 303 will be just north of the sub-division in the future. Wish i still owned my home there. Loved the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area