Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The only reason that there may be labor shortages in the true '4 season' states is because most folks; if given the opportunity, leave due to the ghastly/long winters.

The damn winters were the #1 reason why I left Wash DC 31 years for the Sunbelt-------and, I have yet to return, even for a visit.
I have no intention either, unless maybe in the fall for visiting MN...told my kids is cheap to fly down here to visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Especially in the midwest, you'd have to pay me (like they do for residents in Alaska) to live in the midwest, LOL!
They have very stringent rules to get paid to live in AK now and the $$ are dropping quickly...it certainly was not enough to keep me there, between MN and there...not enough money for winters that drag 7 to 8 months and summer highs are most likely 60s and cloudy...though we did keep the house and boat for fishing in the summers down the road

Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
They have very stringent rules to get paid to live in AK now and the $$ are dropping quickly...it certainly was not enough to keep me there, between MN and there...not enough money for winters that drag 7 to 8 months and summer highs are most likely 60s and cloudy...though we did keep the house and boat for fishing in the summers down the road
LOL, very cool. Well then I guess it would be, "they couldn't pay me enough to live in the mid-west NOR Alaska..." LOL I find Seattle perfect for an August get-a-way!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, very cool. Well then I guess it would be, "they couldn't pay me enough to live in the mid-west NOR Alaska..." LOL I find Seattle perfect for an August get-a-way!
I didn't like Seattle so much, as was in traffic, but I got off on this side road 900, winding like 35 or 40 mph...trees overhanging the road on the way to Issaquah where we stayed, it was like a lake road with cabins along the way...was really the prettiest part of our trip. There was a state park, lake at Issaquah. Once we got over the mountain it was like WY or desert scrubby brush all the way as we stopped in El Pasa to visit my army kid...short of in southern Oregon with the vineyards at every exit..but I had an 11 year old with me...so no tasting...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Bear View Post
LOL. If every member of city-data got a penny for every time you mention how you left DC, and you have yet to return, even for a visit - we would all be millionaires. We all know that because you mention it in every post you make.

Some people have scruples...reinforcement as to why....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Some people have scruples...reinforcement as to why....
LOL, DCbear leave AZbear alone! LOL I for one like when he says "even for a visit..." It makes me chuckle all the time as I have to agree with him. But hey, he is right when he says he doesn't go into the D.C. forum and ridicule "ya'll" for living in such a place.

However, I will let AZbear defend himself, Western bears are bigger than eastern bears after all...What's with the bear "surnames" from D.C.? Is there a "bears" team from the region???

Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Bear View Post
LOL. If every member of city-data got a penny for every time you mention how you left DC, and you have yet to return, even for a visit - we would all be millionaires. We all know that because you mention it in every post you make.
C'est la vie.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
We moved to scottsdale in jan, them had to move back to MN in july!! I think it's a love hate thing with both states....I LOVE the weather and things to do in AZ, but the schools are just not to my liking for my son...I honestly can say the heat really didn't bother me that much...we just did things at different time than we normally would of...the grocery stores are sooo much better in AZ as well...whole foods here in MN sucks!! way too small, and not enough selection. MN has awesome schools, and I really do like the change of seasons, however I am not winter/snow person, so that it hard for me to deal with, that and the sun, or lack of in the winter here. Both states are beautiful, but I love the desert and the mountains ..........and the sunsets are amazing in AZ....I have not seen 1 since returning to mn..( it has been gloomy and rainy about 90% of this last month. I have a ton of pictures, and they remind me of how much I really did love it there vs here, but alas, the economy ruined our chances of a sucessful buisness there, and so we were forced to return where work is more steady and abundant................another time maybe............I hope

I know how you feel we moved to NC a few years ago and had to come back to AZ because of financial reasons. We miss NC.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolban View Post
I know how you feel we moved to NC a few years ago and had to come back to AZ because of financial reasons. We miss NC.
Not sure how you could....just thinkin...humidity...Hopin you make it back to where you love...

Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolban View Post
Quote:
Not sure how you could....just thinkin...humidity...Hopin you make it back to where you love...
In all fairness; if I had to live back east, North Carolina would not be bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area