U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 AM

14 posts, read 14,242 times
Default Healthcare jobs in phoenix

Help! ! ! I am a CT AND TECH. I have 5 years of experience in major Hospitals in the Boston area. I work in a level 1 trauma facility (Heavy duty trauma). I cant even get an interview. I am wondering, If the phoenix hospitals are interviewing only local candidates. Help! ! ! Are there any Healthcare workers in here???? Any ideas??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 AM

2,968 posts, read 3,460,804 times
I can't answer your questions except for to say that I am an RN and I found the same thing to be true about my profession, even after I moved to the Phoenix area. I have been an RN for almost 20 years and have tons of experience and have never had any problems in my career. However, I don't have my bachelor's degree, and someone told me that in this economy employers can be picky and that they won't look at an RN without a BSN. Oh well, we're going back home (Michigan) anyway, and I have already secured a job back there, so that is something to look forward to. It's kind of ironic, because all you ever hear is how many healthcare jobs there are here in AZ and how bad things are in MI and yet, in my case, I had to go back there to find a job. It's all good though, because I am definitely dreaming of a white Christmas now!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 AM

10,097 posts, read 13,056,276 times
We tried getting jobs in the area. My parents live in Surprise, We also had a home built. Everyone told us that all we had to do was show up and we would have work. Both of us are in Healthcare. She is a Nurse. I don't work in the Patient care end of things though. Still we tried thinking that I could find a position in the area. By 2007 I think that the good times in the Phoenix Healthcare field were coming to an end. Not that the need isn't there. That is not limited to Phoenix. In Southern California we have a similar situation. Many hospitals just are not hiring. Where I work the Hospital had its first lay off in its 108 year history. RN's, RT's, and others that used to work plenty of overtime or second jobs have seen that all end.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,242,944 times
Not sure who told you there was work here, but like every other city in the country, jobs are lacking and paying low.

Paradise Valley Hospital has had the "Now Hiring RNs" on their scrolling marquee for the past year, did you try there?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Not sure who told you there was work here, but like every other city in the country, jobs are lacking and paying low.

Paradise Valley Hospital has had the "Now Hiring RNs" on their scrolling marquee for the past year, did you try there?
I was curious about this so I checked it out. What I found when I did a job search for nurses at Paradise Valley Hospital on their website (Abrazo Healthcare) http://www.abrazohealth.com/professi...-Hospital.aspx was that there were 36 positions and that most of them were either management positions or specialty positions such as ER, ICU, Cath Lab, etc. that require experience in that area. To just get a job as a general med/surg RN at that hospital appears to be very unlikely at this time. Even though a lot of nurses have telemetry experience, the telemetry jobs, as well as the one and only general med/surg job that is posted, are on the night shift float pool, which means no benefits and possibly getting called off a lot when census drops. I have worked in float pools before, and it is definitely not a job that you can depend on to provide the same hours week in and week out and pay the bills. Other hospitals in the Phoenix area are posting even fewer jobs for RNs than Paradise Valley. Guess the field is finally flooded.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 AM

14 posts, read 14,242 times
No one told me there are jobs in Phoenix. I am NOT a nurse. Read the post. Thanks for your great advises.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:48 PM

303 posts, read 512,094 times
All jobs in healthcare in the Phx area are hard to come by at this time. Most hospitals are not hiring as much as they used to, and if they are- they are being very picky about the candidates they pick. Remember, our state is in a budget crisis right now, and hospitals dont want to hire and put out more money right now because they dont know how much more money is going to get cut from their budget right now (via reimbursements from the state.) I am a nurse in a local hospital, and while 2 years ago I cold work 60 hours a week plus, currently this summer i am lucky to get my 36 hours. most hospitals in the area are experiencing low census. Our hospital is not hiring anyone...no RN, techs, transporters, nothing..nada...

So I am sorry you are finding your job search difficult, but most hospitals probably wont be hiring until winter season hits and census is high.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRICTTECH View Post
No one told me there are jobs in Phoenix. I am NOT a nurse. Read the post. Thanks for your great advises.
I did read your post. I know that you are not a nurse, I was just saying that if a nurse can't get a job in the Phoenix area, then chances are that all healthcare fields are being adversely affected by this economy. You know what everyone says about nursing, that it is "recession proof", so if even qualified nurses can't find work, then chances are you are going to find yourself in the same predicament as a qualified MRI/CT tech.

Good luck on your job search.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,242,944 times
I think he was just confused since I did not quote SOON2BSURPRISE in my post, althought I was refering to him/her not the OP.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,254,456 times
My sister has been in health care for over 30 years. No 4 year degree. And she is struggling to maintain a career and realizes she should have had a degree. She saved no money. She had to move from California to the east coast. It's not pretty out there. One makes their own decisions, doesn't one? If I was in that boat, I would make very sure that I saved a great deal of money. Having a degree makes a world of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area