U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:56 PM

154 posts, read 368,279 times
Default Race relations in Phoenix area

There have been several posts revealing some racial tension in the Phoenix area. So, let's talk about that.

As someone about to move my family into the flux of it all, I'd love to have the locals' perspectives. What about...
* sharing limited resources
* language barrier
* gang activity
* cultural differences...?

Let's lay it all out there...respectfully, of course.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM

286 posts, read 1,142,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet
There have been several posts revealing some racial tension in the Phoenix area. So, let's talk about that.

As someone about to move my family into the flux of it all, I'd love to have the locals' perspectives. What about...
* sharing limited resources
* language barrier
* gang activity
* cultural differences...?

Let's lay it all out there...respectfully, of course.
Hi doublet,
Respectfully, you are making the same mistake that many people make. You are equating the tensions here with race. Now there is that element here of course as there is anywhere but they are in the minority. The issue here is that hundreds of people are crossing the border into our state illegally every day. I'm not going to get into a dissertation about this because it makes me so angry but I wanted to make it clear that race is not the issue.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 32 times
My sister lives in Phoenix. I visit her sometimes. I really do not like the city. We won't even talk about the hot, dry weather... and the tumbleweeds rolling down the street like in the old west days .LOL
The pay scale there is low, there is not a lot of diversity, and there is quite a bit of gang activity.
She says she can't wait to get the heck out of there.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi
Hi doublet,
Respectfully, you are making the same mistake that many people make. You are equating the tensions here with race. Now there is that element here of course as there is anywhere but they are in the minority. The issue here is that hundreds of people are crossing the border into our state illegally every day. I'm not going to get into a dissertation about this because it makes me so angry but I wanted to make it clear that race is not the issue.
But it becomes a race issue when all the people committing the crime of illegally crossing the border are of the same race, and country of origin. The anger then often becomes directed at "them" rather than at a broken system upheld by our own government.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
But it becomes a race issue
Uhhhh no, it doesn't.

Quote:
when all the people committing the crime of illegally crossing the border are of the same race, and country of origin. The anger then often becomes directed at "them" rather than at a broken system upheld by our own government.
All the people crossing are not of the same race and are definitely not all from the same country of origin. There is more than one country to the south of our border, I don't have statistics but I do know that a good portion of the Illegals are from Guatemala for example. Aso, anyone from any country who can catch a plane and get to one of those countries (most likely Mexico) can then come up and illegally cross our border. Now common sense does of course dictate that the majority of Illegals are of Hispanic origin but I have no issue with the Hispanic race and neither do the majority of people who oppose illegal immigration. Even if anger is directed at "them" as you put it, it has nothing to do with their race. It's the fact that they are here illegally. So I have come full circle, it is not a race issue.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 27,382 times
Quote:
But it becomes a race issue when all the people committing the crime of illegally crossing the border are of the same race, and country of origin. The anger then often becomes directed at "them" rather than at a broken system upheld by our own government.

I totally agree with you. No one seems to be making much of a fuss about the many Europeans who enter the country illegally. Go figure.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika
I totally agree with you. No one seems to be making much of a fuss about the many Europeans who enter the country illegally. Go figure.
{sniff sniff} Somthin' stinks. Phew! Smells like bait.

Last edited by Lehi; 07-14-2006 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi
{sniff sniff} Somthin' stinks. Phew! Smells like bait.
It's a shame that you read it that way. Your attitude IMO just contributes to the problem. I am trying to initiate an open dialogue about a very real problem. Anyone else care to chime in?

Old 07-14-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It's a shame that you read it that way. Your attitude IMO just contributes to the problem. I am trying to initiate an open dialogue about a very real problem. Anyone else care to chime in?
LOL! My attitude contributes to the problem? What problem? What are you talking about? Are you upset because I disagree with you about it being a racial issue and because I won't be drawn into an arguement that it is?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:40 PM

5,601 posts, read 11,968,051 times
--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area