Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM

137 posts, read 341,537 times

Advertisements

Very subjective, I know, so let me explain what my criteria are:

-when I fold it in half, the crust should crack right down the middle

-when I take a bite, it shouldn't break off like I'm eating a chocolate chip
cookie. there should be a long string of cheese from my mouth to the
slice, and I should have to go through some sort of spastic looking
contortion to separate myself from this steaming, lactic umbilical cord.

-it should have lots of sauce and lots of runny cheese

-the guy serving it to me should look like he'll kill me if I utter one bad
word about his glorious creation.

Is that too much to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
La Piazza Al Forno in Old Town Glendale

Run by old school Italians. Has been featured on Food Network (Diners, Dive, And Dine In's ?)

Last edited by ibarrio; 08-27-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 12:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
hey g....

you from New York or something?!!!

(I was the Tatum and Shea dude....don't remember what 'hood you ended up in??)

Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
gsheridan--

Thanks for making me really hungry. I'll put my thinking cap on. After lunch. . .

Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Grimaldi's. Any of the locations. Fresh mozzarella, fresh toppings, coal brick oven, thin crust. What more do you need?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
hey g....
you from New York or something?!!!
how'd you guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
(I was the Tatum and Shea dude....don't remember what 'hood you ended up in??)
azdr, I remember you well. That is a very nice area and we were very interested in it, but no rentals showed up there when we were looking. We ended up in Ahwatukee, great location near Ray and 33rd St. We came very close to renting a house on E. St. John, just north of E. Bell Rd, and just west of 56th St, but in the end we went with the Ahwatukee house because it was closer to my wife's work, near the airport.

It was a very tough decision because we loved the other area too, but so far we really love Ahwatukee. We've been enjoying the community pools and tennis courts in Mountain Park Ranch, and so far we haven't had to travel more than 6 minutes by car to get to anything we've needed.
This pizza quest might force us out of our comfort zone, but it will be well worth it.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
My g/f grew up in Jersey and said the only pizza she has ever had here that reminders her of back home is Red Devi Pizza.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Grimaldi's closest location to you is in the Ocotillo area of Chandler (the one I go to). You would take the San Tan Freeway East to Alma School Road, and then south about 1.5 miles. They are also in Old Town Scottsdale and the San Tan Village.

This is the same Grimaldi's from New York. They had a Pizzeria in Hoboken, and one in Brooklyn right next to the Brooklyn Bridge, and then one of the family members started expanding out here.

I've been to all the other pizza places that get rave reviews, but nothing matches Grimaldi's for me. Expect to pay about $20 for a large pie with a couple toppings.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Old 08-27-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
La Piazza Al Forno in Old Town Glendale
great, thanks, gives me a reason to go check out that side of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
gsheridan--

Thanks for making me really hungry. I'll put my thinking cap on. After lunch. . .
observer53, you always give me great feedback. I hungrily await your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Grimaldi's. Any of the locations. Fresh mozzarella, fresh toppings, coal brick oven, thin crust. What more do you need?
what, no guy leaning on his forearms daring me to say something bad about his pizza It's alright, I was flexible on that one anyway. I'm not budging on the others though. Thanks, I'll add Grimaldi's to the list - haven't been there.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
My g/f grew up in Jersey and said the only pizza she has ever had here that reminders her of back home is Red Devi Pizza.
Excellent. NJ pizza is exactly the same as NY. Reminds me of a story. I lived in San Diego for around a year when I was finishing school. I had looked for months for NY style pizza, but all you got when you went to a place advertizing NY style pizza was some gigantic 2 ft slice that tasted exactly like all the other pizza out there.

Finally, one day I just happened upon this place in downtown San Diego. It looked like a NY pizzeria, it smelled like a NY pizzeria, everything was the same, even down to the layout of the tables and everything. I talked to the guy who owned it and he was from NJ. I was home.....Ordered 2 slices and ate them in record time. I walked out of there satisfied, content, less homesick than before I went in, and sure that I would be back every week for my fix.

Guess what happened next? You guessed it. Heaving, gut wrenching, hugging the bowl - bad cheese. You believe that? There must be a moral to that story, but I'm not sure what it is.
"There's no place like home"? "Don't look for pizza in the land of great tacos"? "When in San Diego, eat pizza like the San Diegans do"? I'm not sure, but my quest for NY style pizza in San Diego ended abruptly. I hope things work out better in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area