Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
AH, did boompa just call Granny a tool!!! Respect your elders Boompa, LOL! But I'm not a republican, ewww
BOOMPA was a grandfather character Jimmie Stewart played in a movie, it is a grandpa So I can be old and cranky too

Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
There are positives to the stimulus, I do agree. Road repairs are definitely a very good sight to see. The only thing is, I'm only 20. I'm scared for my future and the amount my generation is going to have to shell back. Only time will tell though.
Well, when it comes to infrastructure it's "pay me now or pay me more later". You can't defer maintenance and expect financial returns. The roads would crumble, commerce would suffer. Same goes for projects that are "investments" like solar and alternative energy - even education which should concern you. Failure to embrace the realities of dwindling oil supplies is not doing future generations any favor. Letting our schools decay and our students not achieve standards of the rest of the world is a prescription for poverty. I'd like to see smaller deficits, of course, and that may happen with economic recovery. I also think the present generations, including you, should have to pay more. Higher gas taxes for roads and alternative energy would be a good start. We have neglected much and squandered our treasure and surplus on war leaving us with many needs. It's time to open the purses a bit, as well, to cover these needs. You are absolutely right, we shouldn't just pass these costs on. But we need to do the work.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's time to open the purses a bit, as well, to cover these needs.
The "purses" are empty. There is no more to give.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
There are positives to the stimulus, I do agree. Road repairs are definitely a very good sight to see. The only thing is, I'm only 20. I'm scared for my future and the amount my generation is going to have to shell back. Only time will tell though.
We need some high speed rail lines, Our railroads are a disgrace. When Amtrak wanted to update their cars none of the industrialized worlds cars would work on our primitive track. We had to go to SPAIN for help

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
Quote:
Well, when it comes to infrastructure it's "pay me now or pay me more later". You can't defer maintenance and expect financial returns. The roads would crumble, commerce would suffer. Same goes for projects that are "investments" like solar and alternative energy - even education which should concern you. Failure to embrace the realities of dwindling oil supplies is not doing future generations any favor. Letting our schools decay and our students not achieve standards of the rest of the world is a prescription for poverty. I'd like to see smaller deficits, of course, and that may happen with economic recovery. I also think the present generations, including you, should have to pay more. Higher gas taxes for roads and alternative energy would be a good start. We have neglected much or squandered our treasure on war leaving us with many needs. It's time to open the purses a bit, as well, to cover these needs. You are absolutely right, we shouldn't just pass these costs on. But we need to do the work.
But the way I see it - why should I have to return the debts of something I had no say in? (Speaking about the deficit because of the Iraq war, and whatnot). I didn't participate in the 2000/2004 election because I wasn't old enough. I voted for Obama, so I don't feel too "bad" having to pay back that deficit.
Like I said, there are positives to the stimulus. The roads, alternative energy, etc. But there's just so much "filler" in there that worries me.
I want to provide a good life for myself and my family in the future, and I don't want to have to give up enjoying life because I have to worry about many burdonsome taxes.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatday View Post
the "purses" are empty. There is no more to give.
bs!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
bs!
No, it is NOT BS. The States coffers are dry. State employees are being laid off. Basic services are being discontinued / or severely reduced.

There is NO EXTRA MONEY

Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Every party sucks right now, everyone seems to be switching parties, the next 10-20 years are going to be VERY interesting.

Seems like both sides are taking to their extremes.
That's a GOOOD POINT. Who will win with both major party's in decline.
There is no one in the middle and there are now more Independents than Republicans. You would thinkk someone would try to fill that void but everyone is rushing to the edges.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
BOOMPA was a grandfather character Jimmie Stewart played in a movie, it is a grandpa So I can be old and cranky too
Not all grampies are cranky....

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Not all grampies are cranky....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area