U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 AM

137 posts, read 219,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Phoenix is suffering the long term affects of unplanned runaway growth. The runaway urban sprawl is the one thing that has always bothered me about the Valley. This culminated in the last housing bust and recession that swept the nation. Phoenix was hit expecially hard. The Valley has changed dramitically from when I moved here back in the 80s. However to me Phoenix is OZ I would not live anywhere else.

The aridity and hot climate is not for everyone - that is something one must experience and judge for one's self.

As for the complaints one group moves here attempting to escape their personal problems not seeing that they themselves are the source and that the real solution lies within. Instead they externalize and blame "Phoenix" after moving here and not experiencing the magic they were expecting.

Another group moves here expecting a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They set themselves up for massive dissapointment and then it happens.

The Valley does have its faults like any other place. And just like any other place it is not suitable for everyone. At the end of the day - liking - or - not liking it here is a personal judgement one must make themselves and own.
Very good points. I think that's exactly what it is. You take unhappy people and add disappointment to their lives. Now they're disappointed unhappy people - even worse. On top of that, it sounds like many people get stuck in Phoenix, because they get priced out of the market they left to go to Phoenix. Now you've got disappointed, unhappy people who feel trapped. Yikes - that's lethal.

I actually feel sorry for people in that situation, and I can see how they would think this is the right place to vent, but really they're doing a big disservice to other people considering a move when they don't try to parse out their own part of the problem. It's good to hear the things that a potential transplant might not like, but it seems like many people go way overboard.

Luckily, it's usually not too hard to figure out who the habitual complainers are, because they go so over the top in their criticism of Phoenix. Then you just ignore them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,134 times
When I moved here back in 08, I left my car behind, thinking I could take my time to go get it, what a huge mistake. I was late almost everyday for work. I had to quit my job and go get my car. I was robbed by someone I believed was illegal. It got better, but prepare yourself for some bumps in the road. The heat is dry, so you really don't sweat alot. You can't forget your sunscreen. It's a nice city, but you have to watch your surroundings. The crime is more prevalent on the avenue, so try to live on the street side. I like chandler tempe scottsdale peoria etc. You will find nice place in the suburbs. I wish someone told me all of this before I made the plunge, it would have made life easier. It has been over a year, I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

61 posts, read 67,561 times
Wow...Okay. I take it that this is a hot-button issue. I was just curious because there seems to be so much negativity regarding this city on this forum, and I wanted an honest critique because I know a lot of people have sour grapes and then vent about it on the forum. It was meant more for the members who were going to give a straight up, less biased critique of the area, not the habitual complainers. For those who gave an honest answer, thanks for being helpful, I really appreciate it. For those who got an attitude about it and accused me of being a troll or whatnot, I am sorry I asked, geez. This is NOT meant to be a phoenix sucks thread. The reason I created it is because there are waaay too many phoenix sucks threads from what I have read on here, and that is why I wanted to create a new thread to get honest, straight up answers about the place and not the usual bashing that seems to takes place on here. I wanted to know if it was really that bad, or is it that people just have sour grapes and feel the need to attack and skew the reputation of the city on this forum, hence the title of the thread. Anyhow, I appreciate the actual helpful answers that were given, as opposed to the snide comments and other ignorant banter.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM

81 posts, read 134,335 times
FWIW, I love it here.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,636,595 times
Wow, some people sure do get defensive and I don't get it. If I were happy living in a place, I wouldn't care what anyone said about it.

To the OP, yeah, it is that bad. I'm resigned at this point. My house may be worth less than what I paid for it, times are too uncertain, unemployment is just too high for anyone (me at least) to just walk away. Things are a mess everywhere so where would one "walk away to?"

It is to the extent that I dream while sleeping about being in another place - some place interesting with natural water. It's my escape. Pretty bad when my subconsious does this (and thank God it does!) to help me make it through being here.

I am just sitting tight, trying not to spend too much money and holding my breath to see what happens with health care (go Obama! get a pair and shove it through!) and the like.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM

61 posts, read 67,561 times
Thanks, tomahawk72 and movin'on. I appreciate your straight up answers .

Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,232,415 times
Just to sum it up...no Phoenix isn't that bad at all. As for crime, it is the only major city to have a greater than 24% drop in ALL crime and a 30% reduction in violent crime. We aren't the 1, 2, 20, 50, or 60th most dangerous city according to FBI and local law enforcement statistics we are the 65th "most" dangerous, LOL! Cities like Houston, Minneapolis, Detroit, Philadelphia, Little Rock, Camden, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Las Vegas, etc etc are MUCH more dangerous and crime ridden. One of the top ten "safest" American cities happens to be the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert, AZ. Another top ranked safe American city is the west valley Phoenix suburb of Surprise, AZ. Illegals are a problem here as they are in Texas, California, Chicago and New York City. Some of us are sun "gods" and goddesses." LMBO and wouldn't dream of living in 4 season climates year round or in a place where 80 is hot summer weather...we'd have to heat our pools! LOL As for the public transit, as with most American cities if you live in a suburb or far flung area you will probably drive. However, in the central cities there are great options. The express bus services from the suburbs is actually extremely well planned and ran.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 PM

648 posts, read 1,863,363 times
"Is it really that bad?" In a word, "yes."

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,232,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
"Is it really that bad?" In a word, "yes."
Really how so? Please explain. I see that you are from Milwaukee...being from a state surrounded by dangerous cities and cities with 29.8% unemployment rates I'd think you'd be in paradise, LOL! But maybe you just mean the heat? I'm sure being a "snow-bunny" like yourself 100 temperatures make it "that bad." Let's not forget that cities like Milwaukee, Detroit, and Chicago have high school graduation rates below 40% and Detroit has a high school graduation rate that struggles to reach 25%!!! Phoenix is the only major city with a high school graduation rate near or over 60%. NYC, Boston, Atlanta, etc have rates under 50% and 40% and are much worse for minority students especially black students. How tragic. Mean while Mesa, a city with the population of Boston and Atlanta has the HIGHEST graduation rate of any major city and among the highest of ALL cities with a 77% graduation rate. Hmmmm, makes you wonder.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM

122 posts, read 186,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Stick to someplace you know about.
How dont I know about it ive lived here for 13 years but am leaving very soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area